X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walker-of-Ebony-Clouds
    started a topic Summoning

Summoning

How many spirits can a single sorcerer have bound to him at any given time?

I ask because i gave my group 1 months worth of down time in game to allow them some character development out of play...
    Usually this is represented as some sort of montage where they explain what they spend their experience on & how they spend their free time.

One player spent the entire month summoning as many elemental's as he could which worries me he might be building a powerful army very early on as we are only
    4 sessions in...

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Telling something to discern everything that has a soul could be a poetic way of telling it to keep the Fair Folk away.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    Everything has souls in exalted. Animals have lower souls. Second-circle demons are souls. Third circle demons both have multiple souls and are souls themselves.

Dragon kings have souls

Mountain folk have souls.

All those races wiped out in the primordial war had souls.

Autochonian soulsteel is made of of the souls of a species that never even made it to the war.

Setting-wise "only mortal beings & exalts have souls" is very, very high on the "totally wrong" scale.

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    Upside Greenmaw are great for clearing trails for the rest of forces. Just let them nom their way through the paths ahead if they get too overgrown.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by Sakii View Post
    What are the logistics of moving and army of elementas. Im imagining that its very different to moving a mortal armie.

It really depends on the elementals and where you are moving. But I have to imagine an army of wind bears would be hella swifter then human grunts crawling through the desert or jungles.

Leave a comment:

• Holden
    replied
    Originally posted by Walker-of-Ebony-Clouds View Post

I ask because i gave my group 1 months worth of down time in game to allow them some character development out of play...
    Usually this is represented as some sort of montage where they explain what they spend their experience on & how they spend their free time.

One player spent the entire month summoning as many elemental's as he could which worries me he might be building a powerful army very early on as we are only
    4 sessions in...

A battle group of a couple dozen elementals is nice, but not really world-shaking or anything.

Leave a comment:

• Sakii
    replied
    What are the logistics of moving and army of elementas. Im imagining that its very different to moving a mortal armie.

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    Totentanz Wait where is the bit on attempting to subvert year and a day? Last I saw that mentioned here was just saying that a such a contract length requires a more specific task than "Do what I tell you."

Leave a comment:

• Totentanz
    replied
    Originally posted by Walker-of-Ebony-Clouds View Post

4 sessions in...
    Sounds like he's playing Exalted to me. Summoning is powerful. Sorcery is powerful. This is a fairly normal play style, honestly.

He does have to deal with the implications of managing that many minions directly, of course. And he's going to run into various hurdles, such as logistics, fear from the local populace, etc.

The only part of this that seems fishy to me is him trying to circumvent the year and a day restriction. Just tell him that isn't going to fly, and ask him to either rephrase the binding or accept they server for a year and a day.

Leave a comment:

• Protector152
    replied
    What's the players Willpower (WP)?

I ask because Summon Elemental (a four hour long ritual) requires two willpower but only refunds one per cast so for each elemental he summons he will "lose" 1 temp WP, once he uses up his WP-1 he can only summon one per day since the only way for him to regain WP is a "good nights sleep" and this only once per day.

If his WP is 10 he can summon 3 per day for the first four days (if he try's for four a day he won't have time to eat, drink, have any kind of conversation or use the facilities) then he is down to one a day, so a max of 38 elementals or 39 if he summons two per day. At WP 5 (the default for Exalts) the max would be 34 @ both two and three per day.

This also assumes he doesn't mess up the binding roll in witch case he will not get the WP for successfully casting a spell and "lose" three elementals ( 1.the one he failed to bind, 2. the next one he would have summoned and 3. the one after that since he would have gotten a 1 WP refund for a successful binding on 2). if he does this during the "one summoning per day" period he "loses" three days as well (one for the failed binding and another two waiting to regain WP)

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Elementals may not be viewed through the exact same lens as demons, but I think that anyone with the wherewithal to try and tell sorcerers what to do is going to not want them summoning carelessly. As you said, nalak42 - elementals aren't human, and just because a Greenmaw doesn't come from a brass city of hate doesn't mean it's particularly a better idea summoning one for a babysitting job than an Erythmanus.

Even ghost-summoning through necromancy should probably have similar views.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 01-21-2017, 04:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    I think the thing is Demons are viewed usually as inherently unclean on some level, while Elementals are just viewed as dangerous.

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    Alright slightly different, but something occured to me. Now demons would have a stigma about summoning them due to the obvious of them being demons. Hence while creation might not have the whole idea of a summoned demon will twist your orders or the like to screw you over or go against your wishes, you may still end up with the idea that one has to be careful in ordering summoned demons because they are so very different insane monsters from hell and all that other immaculate order stuff. Somewhat reasonable since a demon will be what it is and all that.

Would that concept apply to elementals though? I mean elementals are still probably recognized as having a different mindset than humans, but would they have the same idea attached to them that you might need to be careful with orders lest it just go totally off the rails due to misunderstanding the order and really wanting to help?

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
    In all fairness, if the summoner has a specific intent behind that wording, the summoned creatures should understand it.
    In the majority of cases sure, but I do think it's still interesting to imagine scenarios that are genuinely ambiguous in a manner that a demon might hesitate over, without being an exercise in trying to use wordplay to mess a player around.

Although I'd say it mostly becomes a matter of agency for the person who might otherwise be threatened; that the binding is represented as an Intimacy makes it a valid target for Persuade actions, and I would say that a canny person should be able to get a demon to do something or not do something by giving them doubt over whether or not their action is actually fulfilling to their Principle.

It's also something that I would want to use to place a bit of fallibility in demons, as a further, reasonable complication for demon summoning. I think it's more interesting if, say, wanting to summon a demon who will prevent anybody of a certain political affiliation from entering a place means you need to be discerning in choices of demons who can readily comprehend political affiliations and discern them in individuals, or that you at least need to provide a demon with a bit of instruction on how to recognize people.

I certainly think that if you order a demon such as a hopping puppeteer to do that, you should get a demon who is going to angrily flail at everybody who comes by because it can hardly tell one person from another.

It actually brings me back to Holden's good example of ordering blood apes to carry your child safely to an ally in another city. The blood apes understand the intent of that order, and I think it would be interesting for them to occasionally discuss among themselves what actually fulfills that intent within their limited understandings and skill sets. That there may come a point at which the child cries over being given the shredded remains of some unfortunate traveler as food again that they ask each other if they're sure that what they're doing is what their binder meant by taking care of the child.

Hopping puppeteers, of course, don't even get that far.

If I dislike binding as something so straightforward and binary that it represents an easy way to de-fang demons, I also dislike it as something to disregard their personality quirks and the limits of their comprehension.

Leave a comment:

• Protector152
    replied
    if it helps: Ghosts have Souls because Ghosts ARE Souls (I believe that Hungry Ghosts are the Po soul and the other types of ghost are the Hun, although I could be mistaken.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X