The Necromancy Homebrew Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Necromancy Homebrew Thread

This has been brought up a few times before: first in my original old thread and then when Leetsepeak expanded upon it. I wanted to give it a new thread because of the new life that's been brought into the homebrew project. I've taken Leetsepeak's expansion of my original framework, expanded it even further, put it in a book and added art and layout.

I've also added tons and tons of content. This has become so much more than just rules for necromancy.

I've renamed the document The Book of Bone and Ebony. I know it's the same name as a book from First Edition, but it's also the name of a book in the canon, and I really like the name. So I'm deciding to call it that.

Here is the link!

The book currently contains the following material:

Necromancy
    Spells and Necromantic Workings
    The Three Circles
    Becoming a Necromancer
    - Shadowlands Circle Necromancy
    Necrosis and the Shape Necromancy Action
    Additional Spellcasting Rules
    - Bashing Ghosts
    Countermagic
    Shaping Rituals
    - Anointed by Crimson
    - Madness of the Labyrinth
    - From the Rectory of the Maw
    - Schooling of the Maze (Sijanese Initiation)
    - Taint of the Everliving
    - The Black Feast
    - The Imbuement of Ancestors

Shadowlands Circle Spells
    - Armor of Blood and Bone
    - New Keywords
    - Assassin's Fatal Touch
    - Black Candle Visage
    - Black Candle Visage and Necromantic Workings
    - Blade of Blood and Bone
    - Bless the Rapine Soul
    - Blessed Dead Fools
    - Blood Lash
    - Blood Mirror Speech
    - Bone Puppet Dance
    - Bonfire Visions
    - Call Ghost
    - Corrupted Words
    - Death Flies Two Sails
    - Death Inversion Loop
    - Death Mask
    - Door of the Dead
    - Drawing Blind Edge
    - Dusk Eyes
    - Easing the Forsaken Memory
    - Haunts
    - Emperor's Chains
    - Faces of the Dead
    - Field of Fell Dreams
    - Five Gifts
    - Flesh and Bone Winds
    - Shattering Void Mirror
    - Silent Master's Pollen

Necromantic Workings
    Ambition
    - Shadowlands Circle Workings
    - Labyrinth Circle Workings
    - Void Circle Workings
    Finesse and Means

Fighting Styles in the Underworld
    - New Keywords
    Dark Messiah Style
    - Ravaging Blow
    - Inescapable Iron Grip
    - Dead Man's Grasp
    - Foe-Blinding Jab
    - The Razor Harness
    - Dark Messiah Form
    - Bone-Shattering Blow
    - Grievous Agony Attack
    - Illustrative Overkill Technique
    - Lashing Tempest Palm
    - Void Avatar Prana
    Hungry Ghost Style
    - Blood-Scenting Hunger
    - Leaping Horror Approach
    - Lunging Phantom Method
    - Shrouded Claw Attack
    - Hungry Ghost Form
    - Consuming Entropy Strike
    - Blood-Freezing Technique
    - Power-Reaping Prana
    - Spell-Smothering Technique
    - Unnatural Shambling Deftness
    - Scuttling Apparition Defense
    - Labyrinth-Walking Prana
    - Soul-Flaying Strike
    - Spell-Consuming Transcendence
    Laughing Wounds Style
    - Sensuous Torment
    - Kiss of the Whip
    - Rapture in Chains
    - Laughing Wounds Form
    - Instructive Punishment Method
    - Brand of Obedience
    - Groveling Penitence Prana
    - Insatiable Slave Stamina
    - Ecstatic Tenacity
    - Ravishing the Unworthy Heart

Upcoming Content
    Labyrinth Circle Spells
    Void Circle Spells
    Underworld-specific stratagems
    Arcanoi
    The Centimane Exalted
    Underworld Antagonists
    New Deathlords
    The Nightmare Realm (the Dreams of Epiales, a custom Neverborn)
    New Artifacts and Evocations
    Last edited by Ekorren; 06-04-2017, 04:41 PM.

Ekorren's Homebrew Hub - Last Update: August 2, 2017

Okay! Will offer some comments.

The Three Circles
    • Second paragraph states that a necromancer begins by learning Labyrinth Circle Necromancy, when this is not true, they begin by learning Shadowlands Circle Necromancy.
    • I might suggest removing mention of the Liminals here, or possibly giving them access to Labyrinth Circle Necromancy. I believe we've been informed that their level of ability is Terrestrial going on low Celestial in some ways, and if there were any place where they might go further, I would suggest that it be there.
    Banishing Ghosts
    • I'm not sure I'd give this as an intrinsic capability. Banishing spells are generally gone and I think that's probably a good thing. It might be worth inquiring around or thinking about why it's strictly necessary for them to have this capability as an intrinsic one, if not as an actual spell.
    Anointed by Crimson
    • While I originally wrote it, the descriptive text of this Initiation definitely needs punching up, IMO. The language is awkward and repetitive.
    • I like that first shaping ritual. Clever way to do it.
    • The second one is crazy good. Although the amount of blood required makes it not super feasible beyond certain levels of usage, but this one is very powerful, and that might be something to look out for. Also what happens if you bathe in the blood of a Size 0 group of people? That is, 1-2 people or a group of sub-size 1 people?
    • The language of this last one should be changed. Rather than saying it lowers the cost, I would say they gain necrosis. I would also describe the nature of the kinds of stunts which would qualify for this shaping ritual.
    Madness of the Labyrinth
    • This first shaping ritual is taken from the Nephwrack QC, and might be a little too powerful. I would suggest replacing that 10 with different values, like Essence + Intelligence (Incidentally, this would likely give you the equivalent to what the Nephwrack gets at Essence 5/Intelligence 5) which might help balance it more.
    • The second one, I might suggest including qualifying statements about this only working on living battlegroups and an upper limit on how much necrosis you can gain from damaging one of them per attack.
    • I think you rebalanced Void-Eaten Soul, but I'm not sure. I still think this is a bit too good.
    Schooling of the Maze
    • I might suggest rewriting the fluff of this one to cast it as the "Sijanese Initiation" y'know, one involving the Funereal Order.
    On to some Spell thoughts!‚Äč

Black Candle Visage
    • This feels exactly like the kind of spell that wouldn't appear in 3e but was in previous editions because we didn't have sorcerous/necromantic workings to use.
    • If you absolutely have to keep it, I would simplify it with the suggestion that it simply allows you to twist normal or mundane ghosts into more monstrous varieties. Like Tiger Warrior Training turning Medium Infantry into Elite Troops, this could turn a Haunt or an Honored Ancestor or a Hungry Ghost or a War Ghost into a Mortwright for example. I'd probably pick a few simple templates of ghostly monstrousness (Or just stick to mortwrights) to facilitate this.
    • I critique the use of the Crafts system here not because I don't like it (I do!) but because I think it's easy to systemize this kind of thing (only 1 dot merits, only 2 dot merits, etc.) to the point of uselessness. If I had to use Crafts with this, I would suggest that minor alterations to the ghost might be minor projects, while severe ones which reshape the form or alter the abilities would be Major. Keeping it simple so that it's easy to use in play.
    Bless the Rapine Soul
    • Interesting! I like this one. I have a kind of intangible weird feeling about it, but I like it. I think it could use some better word ordering or simplification, hmm.
    • Why the Mute keyword?
    • I think this makes sense as using the default number of necrosis/smotes needed to cast the spell at 15, rather than 10.
    Blessed Dead Fools
    • Two bless spells in a row! I'd consider some name fiddling.
    • I appreciate the flavor of this one, but question the necessity of its existence. Since this is a digital work and wordcount isn't a problem, it's less bothersome, but if this were being made to be printed, I would cut this in favor of more useful spells.
    Blood Lash
    • Cool. I suggest ditching the 2 dot merit for Anointed by Crimson if you want this spell, as that way it isn't a redundancy for the redundant department of redundancy to deal with.
    • I think having people have to reference back to the corebook to figure out what the heck stats their blood lash gets is not a good call. I'd follow the model of Wood Dragon's Claws, which describes the traits of the weapon and what it might be used for inside. the body text.
    • It's interesting that this costs 2wp. WDC costs 1wp and you're getting roughly similar value from them.
    • I caution against having it inflict a second health level of damage and a potential third health level of damage here. It makes Blood Lash just shittier than its sorcerous equivalent all around. I think having it require a wound is enough myself, and makes the control spell value really cool.
    Blood Mirror Speech
    • I think you combined our versions here, which is cool, though this does seem to make it superior to Infallible Messenger, especially with the differing costs and the lack of geographic limitation. In my version, I included the linguistics control effect to make it so that it could serve a distinct function alongside Infallible Messenger, though this might seem to just be Infallible Messenger+.
    • I would lower the cost to 5n and increase the wp cost to 2wp. IM has this for a reason, because instantaneous/nigh-instantaneous communication across Creation is actually a pretty huge advantage, so making it draining on a less readily renewable resource is valuable.
    Bone Puppet Dance
    • I suggested edits to this spell on someone else's Abyssal's conversion that clean up the mechanics for 3rd Edition and make it a simpler spell to parse. Will update this post with that.
    Bonfire Visions
    • I like the concept, though this is the kind of thing that seems like thaumaturgy to me.
    • I think, if they still exist conceptually that Fetters are likely mechanically represented through things Ghosts have intimacies towards. I would suggest revising the language to reflect the concept of fetters not as a mechanical term, but a holistic ones referencing the mechanical weight of intimacies. The same might work for the converse.
    Flesh and Bone Winds
    • Very powerful. Reminds me of Cantata of Empty Voices. Not sure if appropriate for a Shadowlands Circle Spell.
    I hope some of these thoughts help with the project! I dig the layout so far and am excited to see how it continues.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Is there...like...a sorcery homebrew thread anywhere?
      I'm kinda looking for a 3e Food from the Aerial Table, because I find the idea of that as a control spell hilarious.

Comment

Leetsepeak has done a number of excellent spell conversions in the thread their signature.
        Last edited by PraxisCat; 01-30-2017, 05:41 PM. Reason: a word

Comment

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
          The Three Circles
          • Second paragraph states that a necromancer begins by learning Labyrinth Circle Necromancy, when this is not true, they begin by learning Shadowlands Circle Necromancy.
          • I might suggest removing mention of the Liminals here, or possibly giving them access to Labyrinth Circle Necromancy. I believe we've been informed that their level of ability is Terrestrial going on low Celestial in some ways, and if there were any place where they might go further, I would suggest that it be there.
          Good find. I will edit immediately.

Banishing Ghosts
          • I'm not sure I'd give this as an intrinsic capability. Banishing spells are generally gone and I think that's probably a good thing. It might be worth inquiring around or thinking about why it's strictly necessary for them to have this capability as an intrinsic one, if not as an actual spell.
          I like the idea of a necromancer as someone that ghosts fear. Giving him some level of control over ghosts as default helps emphasize that idea.

Anointed by Crimson
          • While I originally wrote it, the descriptive text of this Initiation definitely needs punching up, IMO. The language is awkward and repetitive.
          • I like that first shaping ritual. Clever way to do it.
          • The second one is crazy good. Although the amount of blood required makes it not super feasible beyond certain levels of usage, but this one is very powerful, and that might be something to look out for. Also what happens if you bathe in the blood of a Size 0 group of people? That is, 1-2 people or a group of sub-size 1 people?
          • The language of this last one should be changed. Rather than saying it lowers the cost, I would say they gain necrosis. I would also describe the nature of the kinds of stunts which would qualify for this shaping ritual.
          I've edited the text a bit. I agree that the second ritual is a bit good, but I'm not sure if it's too good based on how much blood is necessary. I could see myself using it for a bad guy NPC going up against the PCs. Size 1 is the minimum number of people you need to drain, which should also be about the number of people you need to fill a tub.

Schooling of the Maze
          • I might suggest rewriting the fluff of this one to cast it as the "Sijanese Initiation" y'know, one involving the Funereal Order.
          That's a good idea. I might do that at a later date. Focusing on tweaks tonight.

Black Candle Visage
          • This feels exactly like the kind of spell that wouldn't appear in 3e but was in previous editions because we didn't have sorcerous/necromantic workings to use.
          • If you absolutely have to keep it, I would simplify it with the suggestion that it simply allows you to twist normal or mundane ghosts into more monstrous varieties. Like Tiger Warrior Training turning Medium Infantry into Elite Troops, this could turn a Haunt or an Honored Ancestor or a Hungry Ghost or a War Ghost into a Mortwright for example. I'd probably pick a few simple templates of ghostly monstrousness (Or just stick to mortwrights) to facilitate this.
          • I critique the use of the Crafts system here not because I don't like it (I do!) but because I think it's easy to systemize this kind of thing (only 1 dot merits, only 2 dot merits, etc.) to the point of uselessness. If I had to use Crafts with this, I would suggest that minor alterations to the ghost might be minor projects, while severe ones which reshape the form or alter the abilities would be Major. Keeping it simple so that it's easy to use in play.
          Some good suggestions. I will keep this in mind and possible rewrite it at a later date.

Bless the Rapine Soul
          • Interesting! I like this one. I have a kind of intangible weird feeling about it, but I like it. I think it could use some better word ordering or simplification, hmm.
          • Why the Mute keyword?
          • I think this makes sense as using the default number of necrosis/smotes needed to cast the spell at 15, rather than 10.
          I added the Mute keyword so that the spell could be used without the target knowing it. The idea is that the necromancer manipulates the target into agreeing to be possessed. Increasing the cost makes sense though.

Blessed Dead Fools
          • Two bless spells in a row! I'd consider some name fiddling.
          • I appreciate the flavor of this one, but question the necessity of its existence. Since this is a digital work and wordcount isn't a problem, it's less bothersome, but if this were being made to be printed, I would cut this in favor of more useful spells.
          Well, I like this one a lot. Also, I blame alphabetical order for the name thing.

Blood Lash
          • Cool. I suggest ditching the 2 dot merit for Anointed by Crimson if you want this spell, as that way it isn't a redundancy for the redundant department of redundancy to deal with.
          • I think having people have to reference back to the corebook to figure out what the heck stats their blood lash gets is not a good call. I'd follow the model of Wood Dragon's Claws, which describes the traits of the weapon and what it might be used for inside. the body text.
          • It's interesting that this costs 2wp. WDC costs 1wp and you're getting roughly similar value from them.
          • I caution against having it inflict a second health level of damage and a potential third health level of damage here. It makes Blood Lash just shittier than its sorcerous equivalent all around. I think having it require a wound is enough myself, and makes the control spell value really cool.
          I ditched it. I reduced the cost to 1wp. Keep in mind though that Willpower can be substituted for lethal damage for Blood Magic spells, so technically the Willpower and the required wound could be combined by the necromancer. I also removed the need for the second wound, so the only cost for the spell now is the five necrosis and the intial bleeding wound (that can substitute the Willpower cost).

Blood Mirror Speech
          • I think you combined our versions here, which is cool, though this does seem to make it superior to Infallible Messenger, especially with the differing costs and the lack of geographic limitation. In my version, I included the linguistics control effect to make it so that it could serve a distinct function alongside Infallible Messenger, though this might seem to just be Infallible Messenger+.
          • I would lower the cost to 5n and increase the wp cost to 2wp. IM has this for a reason, because instantaneous/nigh-instantaneous communication across Creation is actually a pretty huge advantage, so making it draining on a less readily renewable resource is valuable.
          That's a good point and something I've considered previously. I run a character with the spell as his control in game, but he's been on the sidelines so much that I haven't really explored the mechanics of it much. He's pulled off a bunch of nasty mirror stuff though that I haven't written down, but that I've waved off as being Second Circle shenanigans.

Bonfire Visions
          • I like the concept, though this is the kind of thing that seems like thaumaturgy to me.
          • I think, if they still exist conceptually that Fetters are likely mechanically represented through things Ghosts have intimacies towards. I would suggest revising the language to reflect the concept of fetters not as a mechanical term, but a holistic ones referencing the mechanical weight of intimacies. The same might work for the converse.
          This is actually one of my favorite spells. Mainly because I managed to take the most boring spell from 2E Black Treatise and make it interesting. I agree that the actual text needs to be done better though. I'll do that at a later date.

Flesh and Bone Winds
          • Very powerful. Reminds me of Cantata of Empty Voices. Not sure if appropriate for a Shadowlands Circle Spell.
          This spell is the one that I've playtested the most since one of my PCs have it as his control spell. We haven't had any issues with it in game yet.

Comment

UPDATES: February 13, 2017

GENERAL

- Changed the introduction text to remove the copy-pasted stuff from the sorcery rules and only focus on the actual new information.
            - Made a box for "New Keywords".

SHAPING RITUALS

- Added "Sijanese Initiation" as a secondary name to "Schooling of the Maze".
            - Added the Merit "Empathy for the Grieving" to the "Schooling of the Maze" shaping ritual.

SPELLS

- Added an info box clarifying "Black Candle Visage" and how it works alongside necromantic workings.
            - Added the spell "Death Flies Two Sails".
            - Added the spell "Death Inversion Loop".
            - Added the spell "Death Mask".

Comment

UPDATES!

GENERAL:

- Changed a typo in the Shadowlands Circle Necromancy spell that said it required Essence 3 instead of Essence 1.
              - Added a list of planned stuff to the end of the document.

SHAPING RITUALS:
              - Altered 'The Eye of Darkness' from the 'Taint of the Everliving' to determine Evocation Resonance.
              - Added two shaping rituals to 'The Black Feast'.
              - Added the Merit 'Vicious Hungry Soul' to 'The Black Feast'.
              - Added the Merit 'Haunted Heirloom' to 'The Imbuement of Ancestors'.

(this completes all current shaping rituals in the document)

SHADOWLANDS CIRCLE SPELLS:
              - Added the spell 'Armor of Blood and Bone'.
              - Added the spell 'Blade of Blood and Bone'.

Comment

For bless the Rapine souls, does the ghost use it's abillity scores or its hosts when controlling?

Restoring demonic glory in Infernals:What Hell Has Wrought

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                  For bless the Rapine souls, does the ghost use it's abillity scores or its hosts when controlling?
                  The necromancer initially makes a social influence action on the target when using the spell. Later when the ghost wants to possess that target, the ghost uses its own dice pools but adds the necromancer's Essence in successes. When it's actually in control of the person, it uses its host's pools for physical actions while it uses its own pools for mental and social actions (save from Appearance). I should clarify this the next time I edit the document.

Comment

Alright, a new version is up with the following changes:

GENERAL

- Added cover art.
                    - Added table of contents.
                    - Added art to Page 7.
                    - Added art to Page 10.
                    - Added art to Page 16.
                    - Added art to Page 19-20.
                    - Added art to Page 24.

SHAPING RITUALS

- Changed the 'Mastery of the Dead Universe' Merit from Rating 4 to Rating 5.
                    - Changed the 'Empathy for the Grieving' Merit from Rating 4 to Rating 3. Also specified that the added die is a non-Charm die.
                    - Changed the 'Haunted Heirloom' Merit from doing double 9s to double 8s.

SHADOWLANDS CIRCLE NECROMANCY

- (Assassin's Fatal Touch) Clarified how distorting the spell affects a necromancer with it as her control spell.
                    - (Bless the Rapine Soul) Clarified what traits are being used when possessing someone.
                    - Added the spell 'Door of the Dead'.
                    - Added the spell 'Drawing Blind Edge'.
                    - Added the spell 'Dusk Eyes'.

NECROMANTIC WORKINGS

- Added general information about necromantic workings.
                    - Added information about necrotic ambitions.
                    - Added information about changes to finesse and means.

Comment

I had to make another update this early because I added a bunch of additional content. The Hungry Ghost Style conversion is crazy dangerous and will need some revisions, but it's a first draft.

GENERAL

- Added an info box about 'haunts' on page 19.
                      - Added art on page 29.

SHADOWLANDS CIRCLE NECROMANCY

- Added the spell 'Easing the Forsaken Memory'.
                      - Added the spell 'Emperor's Chains'.
                      - Added the spell 'Faces of the Dead'.
                      - Added the spell 'Field of Fell Dreams'.
                      - Added the spell 'Five Gifts'.

FIGHTING STYLES OF THE UNDERWORLD

- Started writing on new fighting styles, starting with Hungry Ghost Style.
                      - Added the 'Necrosis' keyword to martial arts.
                      - Added the Hungry Ghost Style Charm 'Blood-Scenting Hunger'.
                      - Added the Hungry Ghost Style Charm 'Leaping Horror Approach'.
                      - Added the Hungry Ghost Style Charm 'Lunging Phantom Method'.
                      - Added the Hungry Ghost Style Charm 'Shrouded Claw Attack'.
                      - Added the Hungry Ghost Style Charm 'Hungry Ghost Form'.
                      - Added the Hungry Ghost Style Charm 'Consuming Entropy Strike'.
                      - Added the Hungry Ghost Style Charm 'Blood-Freezing Technique'.
                      - Added the Hungry Ghost Style Charm 'Power-Reaping Prana'.
                      - Added the Hungry Ghost Style Charm 'Spell-Smothering Technique'.
                      - Added the Hungry Ghost Style Charm 'Unnatural Shambling Deftness'.
                      - Added the Hungry Ghost Style Charm 'Scuttling Apparition Defense'.
                      - Added the Hungry Ghost Style Charm 'Labyrinth-Walking Prana'.
                      - Added the Hungry Ghost Style Charm 'Soul-Flaying Strike'.
                      - Added the Hungry Ghost Style Charm 'Soul-Consuming Transcendence'.

Comment

~Can humans learn Hungry Ghost Style charms, provided their necromancers?~ NVM re-read the doc whoops.

Comment

It's kind of awkward to make these update posts since I sort of feel discouraged due to the lack of comments. I've put a lot of effort into this, and I have no idea if people actually like the content or not.

Anyway,

GENERAL

- Changed the cover.

FIGHTING STYLES OF THE UNDERWORLD

- Added info about razor harnesses.
                          - Added the Dark Messiah Style.
                          - Added the Dark Messiah Style Charm 'Ravaging Blow'.
                          - Added the Dark Messiah Style Charm 'Foe-Blinding Jab'.
                          - Added the Dark Messiah Style Charm 'Inescapable Iron Grip'.
                          - Added the Dark Messiah Style Charm 'Dead Man's Grasp'.
                          - Added the Dark Messiah Style Charm 'Dark Messiah Form'.
                          - Added the Dark Messiah Style Charm 'Bone-Shattering Blow'.
                          - Added the Dark Messiah Style Charm 'Grievous Agony Attack'.
                          - Added the Dark Messiah Style Charm 'Illustrative Overkill Technique'.
                          - Added the Dark Messiah Style Charm 'Lashing Tempest Palm'.
                          - Added the Dark Messiah Style Charm 'Void Avatar Prana'.
                          - Added the Laughing Wound Style.
                          - Added the Laughing Wounds Style Charm 'Sensuous Torment'.
                          - Added the Laughing Wounds Style Charm 'Kiss of the Whip'.
                          - Added the Laughing Wounds Style Charm 'Rapture in Chains'.
                          - Added the Laughing Wounds Style Charm 'Laughing Wounds Form'.
                          - Added the Laughing Wounds Style Charm 'Instructive Punishment Method'.
                          - Added the Laughing Wounds Style Charm 'Brand of Obedience'.
                          - Added the Laughing Wounds Style Charm 'Groveling Penitence Prana'.
                          - Added the Laughing Wounds Style Charm 'Insatiable Slave Stamina'.
                          - Added the Laughing Wounds Style Charm 'Ecstatic Tenacity'.
                          - Added the Laughing Wounds Style Charm 'Ravishing the Unworthy Heart'.

Comment

Loving the content but the game I'm using it in hasn't started yet so I've got nothing to say except cool concepts!

Comment

I'm enjoying your content greatly but I'm afraid my rules fu isn't up to useful critiquing. I hope you continue the project to completion since I really love ghosts and arcanoi. Thank you for your work.

Comment

Working...
                              X