Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    Ahhh I feel bad.

So, here's a question; for people keep almanacs in their outhouses?

​(I would assume that for illiterate people, the pages just need to have diagrams)
    Why do they do this, you mean?

Because they can't get rolls of Charmin there.

Comment

I know why it was done as a thing, I was asking if people transplant the detail to Exalted.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

I know why it was done as a thing, I was asking if people transplant the detail to Exalted.
        I probably wouldn't, but I generally don't run with the cheap wood pulp paper as a thing which is one of those things that's pretty much a requirement for a disposable book in every home.

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

I probably wouldn't, but I generally don't run with the cheap wood pulp paper as a thing which is one of those things that's pretty much a requirement for a disposable book in every home.

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

Not even in the Realm?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by 39Steps View Post
              Of course, it's important to remember the Mongols' penchant for religious tolerance and acceptance, a near-unique trait in the annals of empire. To them, blaspheming Tengri by dipping in the river to wash off blood and sweat was an abomination, but they had no problem with anyone else doing so--after all, Tengri wasn't their god, so he wouldn't bother to care if they had cultural, personal, or religiously-based beliefs compelling them towards constant bathing. As long as there remained enough water to support the city's inhabitants, the subjects of of the Khanate could keep as clean as they liked.
              It's sad that the guys famed for building an empire on a mountain of skulls and sacking cities and exterminating their inhabitants to the last child are in some ways more tolerant, understanding, and reasonable than some of the people i've seen and read about.

Comment

To be fair, being famous for an attribute doesn't mean you possess that attribute. Like a billionaire having a reputation as a peerless businessman, when in fact numerous business ventures of his have failed catastrophically, ranging from mortgage companies to airlines to steaks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                  To be fair, being famous for an attribute doesn't mean you possess that attribute. Like a billionaire having a reputation as a peerless businessman, when in fact numerous business ventures of his have failed catastrophically, ranging from mortgage companies to airlines to steaks.
                  Yes, but it's already considered a historical fact, isn't it?

Comment

I think that most of the standard methods have been listed, urine, salt, hot water and lots of scrubbing. In desert climates a bucket and a rag can be used to scrub yourself to get the dirt and sand off. I think some cultures also believed in sweat baths... No idea on the effectiveness.

Somewhat Off Topic: So while only tangentially related to the topic, I figured i'd just drop this here because of that fact. My ST came up with this, made it cannon for his game, and I think that it deserves to be seen by more people.

The Baths of Troth are a treasure rarely seen in the Age of Sorrows. Ledaal Tasan, as part of his work with Caim to restore the Academy to its former glory, used sorcery to transform the baths that the former headmaster had installed to house her indiscretions. Instead of hidden rooms and tunnels for access, he converted them into three pits—cold, tepid, and hot water flowed from stone naturally, allowing one to cleanse themselves thoroughly. He even spared the time to create a smaller version of the greater baths within one of the headmistress’ passages, adding an entrance to his own office as well as Caim’s for their personal use.
                    But despite great age and caution, manipulation of the primal energies of creation rarely has only expected consequences. Configuring dragonlines and using them to work his sorcery also created a conglomeration of Essence that grew as the baths did, feeding on the relaxed sighs and pleasant dreams of its patrons. The god that this Essence became is Buh Buls, the One Scrub Man.
                    俺って臭味で主婦おやってる者だ。

ONE SCRUB TECHNIQUE
                    Permanent, E2, Spirit
                    The mortal baths that these used to be have died. There's gods inside the soap tonight.
                    No mess is too filthy for Buh Buls to clean almost reflexively, as if there was no challenge in it. When performing any action to clean, it is treated as at most a Basic craft check.

CLEANING AS HOBBY APPROACH
                    Permanent, E2, Spirit
                    Prereq: One Scrub Technique
                    Buh Buls can produce soaps, towels, bath salts, and any other required material from his own essence at will, as well as the tools of bathing. Any material created this way counts as exceptional for the purposes of cleaning only, though may be stunted into improvised weapons that use the profile of Artifact Light Weapons if necessary. Any roll required to clean using these tools gains one automatic success and reduces the interval by [Essence] hours.

EXCEPTIONAL CLEANLINESS REGIME
                    Perm, E3, Spirit
                    Prereq: Cleaning as Hobby Aproach
                    Buh Buls can make nothing in the world cleaner than he is himself. So, there was no choice but to strenuously purify himself through years of effort. In return for 100 pushups, 100 sit ups, 100 squats, and a 10 hour bath every single day, Buh Buls gains [essence] -0 health levels, Resistance + Essence Soak, and Essence hardness. This benefit (except for the health levels) is lost if he is ever dirtied enough to be reduced to his -1 health levels and does not return until he has stayed in his -0 health levels for a full week.

SELF AGAINST FILTH STANCE
                    Simple, 30m + 1wp, E4, Spirit
                    Prereq: Exceptional Cleanliness Regime
                    Buh Buls hates nothing more than a mess that none even attempt to clean. Drawing back one of his expertly gloved fists, he channels clean essence into his palm and prepares to perfectly cleanse even the most horrid shadow land with a single scrub.
                    This charm supplements a Decisive attack, adding [Essence] Double 7s on the attack and damage roll. If the target is filthy, the roll additionally rerolls 6s until 6s fail to appear. If the target is exceptionally filthy, as a Shadowlands creature, rotting corpse, or god of filth, then the target number of the roll is reduced to 6 as well. If this attack deals at least 3 levels of damage, the damage is Aggravated as layers of skin are burned off and the power of cleanliness penetrates down to the victim’s very bones. The Baths of Troth are a treasure rarely seen in the Age of Sorrows. Ledaal Tasan, as part of his work with Caim to restore the Academy to its former glory, used sorcery to transform the baths that the former headmaster had installed to house her indiscretions. Instead of hidden rooms and tunnels for access, he converted them into three pits—cold, tepid, and hot water flowed from stone naturally, allowing one to cleanse themselves thoroughly. He even spared the time to create a smaller version of the greater baths within one of the headmistress’ passages, adding an entrance to his own office as well as Caim’s for their personal use.
                    But despite great age and caution, manipulation of the primal energies of creation rarely has only expected consequences. Configuring dragonlines and using them to work his sorcery also created a conglomeration of Essence that grew as the baths did, feeding on the relaxed sighs and pleasant dreams of its patrons. The god that this Essence became is Buh Buls, the One Scrub Man.
                    俺って臭味で主婦おやってる者だ。

ONE SCRUB TECHNIQUE
                    Permanent, E2, Spirit
                    The mortal baths that these used to be have died. There's gods inside the soap tonight.
                    No mess is too filthy for Buh Buls to clean almost reflexively, as if there was no challenge in it. When performing any action to clean, it is treated as at most a Basic craft check.

CLEANING AS HOBBY APPROACH
                    Permanent, E2, Spirit
                    Prereq: One Scrub Technique
                    Buh Buls can produce soaps, towels, bath salts, and any other required material from his own essence at will, as well as the tools of bathing. Any material created this way counts as exceptional for the purposes of cleaning only, though may be stunted into improvised weapons that use the profile of Artifact Light Weapons if necessary. Any roll required to clean using these tools gains one automatic success and reduces the interval by [Essence] hours.

EXCEPTIONAL CLEANLINESS REGIME
                    Perm, E3, Spirit
                    Prereq: Cleaning as Hobby Aproach
                    Buh Buls can make nothing in the world cleaner than he is himself. So, there was no choice but to strenuously purify himself through years of effort. In return for 100 pushups, 100 sit ups, 100 squats, and a 10 hour bath every single day, Buh Buls gains [essence] -0 health levels, Resistance + Essence Soak, and Essence hardness. This benefit (except for the health levels) is lost if he is ever dirtied enough to be reduced to his -1 health levels and does not return until he has stayed in his -0 health levels for a full week.

SELF AGAINST FILTH STANCE
                    Simple, 30m + 1wp, E4, Spirit
                    Prereq: Exceptional Cleanliness Regime
                    Buh Buls hates nothing more than a mess that none even attempt to clean. Drawing back one of his expertly gloved fists, he channels clean essence into his palm and prepares to perfectly cleanse even the most horrid shadow land with a single scrub.
                    This charm supplements a Decisive attack, adding [Essence] Double 7s on the attack and damage roll. If the target is filthy, the roll additionally rerolls 6s until 6s fail to appear. If the target is exceptionally filthy, as a Shadowlands creature, rotting corpse, or god of filth, then the target number of the roll is reduced to 6 as well. If this attack deals at least 3 levels of damage, the damage is Aggravated as layers of skin are burned off and the power of cleanliness penetrates down to the victim’s very bones.

I make martial arts sometimes they're in my Scroll of Mixed Martial Arts.
                    I also made an entire 3rd circle and her soul structure.
                    My repository of random media rip offs, from Anime to book series. Mostly Anime. It's all in my Manuscript of Merry Mischief.
                    Total weeb.

Comment

Really, the Mongols practiced a certain form of tolerance for about the same reason that they would often massacre huge numbers of people; they were expanding, but didn't really have the numbers themselves to fully occupy or govern their territories, so they would employ other means to make those possessions more pliant. Sometimes it consisted of being fairly cosmopolitan in their bureaucracy and attitude to society (helped by the fact that Mongols probably didn't really practice proselytizing religions), and sometimes it consisted of making sure that a new conquest was not too heavily populated to make government difficult. It was probably not ever a matter of magnanimity.

​Something related to matters of cleanliness is the subject of toiletry, and I've recently read about how in Japan, the excrement of rich people sold for more than that of others, on the theory that their better diet would produce more nutrient-rich fertiliser.

​I would think that the night soil of the Exalted in the Realm would not be openly for sale, but could make for some valuable contraband.

Comment

momoyo that is glorious

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
                          There also this fruit called mướp that when ripened the inside can be used as a scrubbing sponge.

As a side note since I haven't seen anyone else mention it: I've heard these referred to as luffas/loofahs here in the US, although at least as often I see it applied to artificial scrubbers emulating the coarse loose mesh of the fibrous structure, rather than the actual fruit.

Comment

Working...
                          X