Martial Arts by Martial Artists

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial Arts by Martial Artists

So i've been a martial arts practitioner for many years and have dabbled in a number of styles and noticed a couple of things that intrigued me.

1. There doesn't seem to be any type of grappling style? In the real world we have sumo, judo, jujitsu, shuai jiao, and a number of styles that incorporate wrestling as their principle method of fighting. Sadly exalted mainly thinks of just kung fu (not complaining as i practice that but this is most martial arts styles) or whatever you can pull off (brawl).

2. There aren't any grappling styles that im aware of that include grappling or joint manipulation.

The lack of these things i understand are done because thinking of these things is difficult, but has anyone thought about these or creating your own in game style that isn't just weapons/striking styles? If so what do they look like?

Non-rhetorically: is there anything in particular you can do with real-world grappling arts that isn't covered by the Grapple gambit or by Solar Brawl charms?

You're not the first person to observe that Martial Arts is lacking for non-mystical practices. Despite the official developer line on this, I've come to the conclusion that Martial Arts is exclusively the domain of "magic" kung fu, while Brawl encompasses all other unarmed combat styles.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

I think the beauty of possible wrestling styles or grappling styles would be new gambits that could be opened. Hip throws, odd methods of incapacitating enemies, sweeps, rear naked chokes, arm bars all that sort of stuff could be covered in some existing gambits but as martial arts can wonder all over the place there seems to be a lack of ability to break an enemies arm through breaks or rules about incapacitating limbs. Many of things have kinda been sought out by other martial arts charms but dont exactly get there. They are all too from a striking stand point. The rear naked choke actually doesn't damage ones body it just ceases blood flow to the brain. When you end the choke blood returns and their body isn't really changed for it unless you hold them in the position for waaaaaay too long. maybe thats representable through the current system but ticking health boxes for that just seems kind of inappropriate? Just my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by joshopotamus View Post
        So i've been a martial arts practitioner for many years and have dabbled in a number of styles and noticed a couple of things that intrigued me.

1. There doesn't seem to be any type of grappling style? In the real world we have sumo, judo, jujitsu, shuai jiao, and a number of styles that incorporate wrestling as their principle method of fighting. Sadly exalted mainly thinks of just kung fu (not complaining as i practice that but this is most martial arts styles) or whatever you can pull off (brawl).
        We currently have a very small set of martial arts, mainly chosen from fan-favorites during the Kickstarter. Second Edition had several grappling-based styles, including Jade Mountain Style (basically earth elemental sumo style). As we get more martial arts, we'll get more styles like that again.

Masters of the Industrial Elements
        Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
        Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
        The Underworld (3rd Edition)

Comment

I'd blame this mostly on the limited sample we have to go on, since there's only one book out. There were grappling-focused styles in previous editions and I'm sure we'll see some in 3E down the line (2E Terrestrial Hero being a personal favourite).

I did homebrew a grappling style based loosely on aikido, focusing on counterattacks and defensive techniques. I never posted it because it wasn't very polished, but it must be lying around somewhere.

Comment

I've been a practitioner of Monkey Kung Fu for a number of years, and I've actually just finished a first draft of a Monkey Style that focuses on movement/disengage, evasion, and enhanced grapples, among other minor focuses. It has a lot of strikes, but usually accompanied by some other movement, like a grapple or disengage.

I based it on Tai Shing Pek Kwar, and I took from the various variations and forms to shape the overall style.
            Last edited by StarkJunior; 02-09-2017, 08:59 PM.

Comment

In 2/2.5 Grappling was rather well represented in the Solar Hero and Dark Messiah styles, but those styles have been redefined as the basis for brawl charms in 3rd. I'm not sure there was an non-hero style tree that focused on grappling (though a fair few had the odd grappling charm thrown in).

I thank the Devs for the great game of Exalted!

Comment

Mantis Style had some grappling Charms. But as others have stated, the Brawl trees are full of grapple magics.

Join the Strife

Comment

I think the beauty of possible wrestling styles or grappling styles would be new gambits that could be opened.
                  I would counter that virtually all of the things you are looking for are already more than adequately represented in the existing rules, if you make even a token effort.

Hip throws, odd methods of incapacitating enemies, sweeps, rear naked chokes, arm bars all that sort of stuff could be covered in some existing gambits but as martial arts can wonder all over the place there seems to be a lack of ability to break an enemies arm through breaks or rules about incapacitating limbs.
                  As you said, existing gambits cover most of this. Mostly grapples using the savage, slam, and hold/restrain actions. Now if you want to break somebody's arm that's also covered in the rules - describe a good stunt and then point your ST toward the crippling injury rules. One of my players broke an enemy's ankle during the last session. When my players are fighting against foes who aren't their metaphysical match, I grant them broad narrative discretion to inflict various miseries against their foes. They may not get as much leeway against other Exalted, mind, but that's because such opponents get to project their own auras of solipsistic self-definition within the story and are therefore not so trivially dispatched.

Many of things have kinda been sought out by other martial arts charms but dont exactly get there. They are all too from a striking stand point. The rear naked choke actually doesn't damage ones body it just ceases blood flow to the brain. When you end the choke blood returns and their body isn't really changed for it unless you hold them in the position for waaaaaay too long. maybe thats representable through the current system but ticking health boxes for that just seems kind of inappropriate? Just my thoughts.
                  That's a withering savaging attack. Handled.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be glib here. I've practiced like four different real world arts over the years to varying levels of proficiency, too, and I have friends that have been competitive at the international level. I haven't ever seen anything that can't be adequately represented using just the basic combat, gambit, and grappling rules seasoned with a bit of colorful description. It's not a problem that needs a more elaborate solution.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

2. There aren't any grappling styles that im aware of that include grappling or joint manipulation.

The lack of these things i understand are done because thinking of these things is difficult, but has anyone thought about these or creating your own in game style that isn't just weapons/striking styles? If so what do they look like?
                    Tiger style & Solar Hero style (which in 3E is just brawl charms) have a lot about grappling & Mantis style also had some grappling... Tiger style & Mantis style in particular have joint manipulation in them.

If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

Comment

Also a lot of the styles empower attacks but do not say what kind of attack... Like I could easily go around with Ebon shadow style & pop out of nowhere with a surprise sleeper hold or just snap their neck if they refuse to go to sleep which is still technically a grapple/clinch/joint manipulation turned savage.

If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

Comment

A specialized grappling style is on my personal short list.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Almost every single non-magical "martial art" can be easily represented by the clever use of Abilities, Specialties, Stunts and Gambits. No extra work required.

Comment

Working...
                          X