Drag the Unconquered Sun from the games of divinity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag the Unconquered Sun from the games of divinity

The Incarnae have not missed a turn in the games since the First age.

Even during the Balorian Crusade and the Great contagion, they did not stop.

What, then, could?

My idea involves a band of desperate sidereals breaking into the dome, using kung fu to disable the guards, then throwing around spells like 'death by obsidian butterflies' and 'Total annihilation' at the Incarnae to get their attention.

They'll probably die, though. But it may at least get them to look up.

The degree to which the Incarnae have been uninvolved has been the subject of bloat over the game's life, and I'm expecting it to be toned down a bit.

​I think that for the books to elaborate too much on their involvement in the Great Contagion, in either direction is a mistake.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Also, even assuming we're keeping all the fluff about the Incarnae and the Games from previous editions... they routinely get up from the Games of Divinity at least once a year to participate in the Calibration celebrations. It's not like the Unconquered Sun is sitting in an ass-impression the exact cushion-depth of his couch.

"They don't miss a turn" doesn't mean "they never take their eyes off the pieces." It just means they're invested enough in the Games that none of the Incarnae are away long enough for the others to say, "Fuck it, let's play without her."

​Moreover, with the exception of looking at things from a Fair Folk perspective, it's pretty pointless to separate the Balorian Crusade and the Great Contagion in your headspace. To pretty much everyone active in Creation at the time, they were the same event.
      Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 02-10-2017, 02:25 PM.

He/him

Comment

Yeah they do miss some turns, at least one reward given has been allowing lesser gods to enjoy one turn in the games of divinity.

Comment

If it's a turn-based game, that doesn't mean they've missed a turn. It just means they have to wait a little longer for their turn!

STing Bronze Age Exalted

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
            If it's a turn-based game, that doesn't mean they've missed a turn. It just means they have to wait a little longer for their turn!
            I mean enjoy their turn. But we the game is complex who knows how it works.

I like to think it's the equivalent of pro sports in Heaven, and like that sidereal comic gods like to ask who is ahead in the games if while they are away from Yu-Shan.

I mean people(well Gods) do sit in the stands and watch.

Comment

In a campaign i ran a few years back in 2e, the Night caste made this his mission. and managed to break into the Jade Pleasure Dome, steal one of the playing pieces and toss it in the Mouth of the Void, destroying it.

With a piece missing from the board and no way to replace it. The Games of Divinity became useless and noone could play it, forcing the Incarnae away from the Games and back to their jobs.

It was a pretty epic session and season finale. The player planned it all in extreme detail and regarded the UCS declaring him a Creature of Darkness to be a price well worth paying to have Ignis back at work once he calmed down. Of course Iggy's inbox was gigantic when he went back to work the next Moonsday.

Comment

I always felt like the Holy Xbox got blamed too much for why the Incarnae didn't do crap. I liked to think that the gods just suck to a degree and after being around for so long and doing so much crap for aeons that they just don't care about Creation as much. I mean sure, they have a vested interest in Creation and will fight to protect it. But they are bored with it. They already lived on Creation and dealt with it. They wanted something new and took Yu-Shan and the Holy Xbox. That'll keep them going for another aeon or two. But eventually they will get bored of that too.

I always enjoyed the idea of the Great Cosmic Suffering that plagues all immortal, powerful beings, including the primordials. That Great Cosmic Suffering being sheer boredom. But hey that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by hachiman View Post
                  In a campaign i ran a few years back in 2e, the Night caste made this his mission. and managed to break into the Jade Pleasure Dome, steal one of the playing pieces and toss it in the Mouth of the Void, destroying it.

With a piece missing from the board and no way to replace it. The Games of Divinity became useless and noone could play it, forcing the Incarnae away from the Games and back to their jobs.

It was a pretty epic session and season finale. The player planned it all in extreme detail and regarded the UCS declaring him a Creature of Darkness to be a price well worth paying to have Ignis back at work once he calmed down. Of course Iggy's inbox was gigantic when he went back to work the next Moonsday.

Ok I am so stealing this idea for a future game

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

A lot of the incarnae still do other things even while playing the games. Heck i think one of the Sid books mentioned Satrun would occasionally challenge Sol to other things just because she views it as her nature to end things and Sol has something of an unbroken winning streak against her. Presumably this means that they do more than just stare at the game board when they play.

Of course the number of things we don't know about the games is also rather wide, we don't know how much time it would require to take one's turn if they went for the simplest and most immediate option nor how long they limit the turns to before one is considered to have passed or missed their turn. We also don't know how long a game lasts, so while they never miss a turn that doesn't mean that they might not take care of business between games.

That said things that will almost assuredly get the game put on pause, I'm thinking stealing one of Sol's artifacts like the spear, or crashing the daystar into something like say Yu shan. More so on the last one if the Daystar is not a pilotable ship in the setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Cydoc View Post
                      I always felt like the Holy Xbox got blamed too much for why the Incarnae didn't do crap. I liked to think that the gods just suck to a degree and after being around for so long and doing so much crap for aeons that they just don't care about Creation as much. I mean sure, they have a vested interest in Creation and will fight to protect it. But they are bored with it. They already lived on Creation and dealt with it. They wanted something new and took Yu-Shan and the Holy Xbox. That'll keep them going for another aeon or two. But eventually they will get bored of that too.
                      This sounds like it's pretty well in line with the gods as presented in Games of Divinity for 1e. The way it's first chapter is written makes it sound like the Unconquered Sun is unusual among celestial gods in that he paid as much attention as he did for as long as he did. I personally like this presentation both in that it gives it a brush of Bablyonian myth and at the same time keeps the presentation from being too humanocentric. Like in Tales from the Flat Earth, gods are supposed to be generally distant and uninterested in the doings of humanity. Gods that do anything for the sake of humans are not only unusually sympathetic, but also acting in violation of divine law!

I think it's one of the failings of 2E that so much of it was written as though there was some expectation, that the gods should be more responsible for the world. The gods gave humanity Exalted champions, and then gave them Creation to shape as they saw fit. If you manage to turn the Unconquered Sun's attention away from the Games, the most you can really hope for is for the Celestial Censors to enforce divine law better, which would mean less help from the gods, not more.

Comment

Wasn't it hinted that the games were more than just Celestial crack cocaine? As in they actually might strongly influence events in Creation? Or am I misremembering?

Comment

Originally posted by prototype00 View Post
                          Wasn't it hinted that the games were more than just Celestial crack cocaine? As in they actually might strongly influence events in Creation? Or am I misremembering?
                          You're misremembering; while they didn't say a hell of a lot when they talked about the Games in, appropriately enough, Games of Divinity, one of the things they explicitly weren't was the gods fucking with the lives of mortals in Creation.

He/him

Comment

Well Jen proposed an event that would probably require everyone to get the frack away from the game table for a bit. Forcing a new element into Creation's balance, moreso if this includes the creation of a new elemental pole in Creation. Even if one doesn't go for the specific element Jen proposed.

Comment

Rather than looking at the Games of Divinity as a problem to be solved, I look at the reason why it exists. Many RPGs and fantasy stories have powerful, active gods. This inevitably spawns the nagging question "Why doesn't Godly McGodson show up and fix this crap if s/he cares so much?" The answer, of course, is the PCs/protagonist are supposed to be doing that, but that's not a good in-setting answer.

A similar issue comes up in RPGs where PCs are granted power by divine beings. There's this nagging question of when/if the divine beings will decide to reign in the PCs, and that kinda crap can kill the vibe of an adventure RPG right quick.

Ex2 attempted to do an end run around all that by putting the gods on their asses playing the Games of Divinity. It defined the Games in so much detail that people think the point of Exalted is getting Mom and Dad to do their jobs, instead of rolling up their sleeves and fixing it themselves.

I'm not sure there's much benefit to getting the gods back to work, from a story PoV. The problems of Creation should be solved (and created) by the PCs and their allies, friends, and enemies.

Far be it from me to tell people how to play Exalted, of course. I just can't look at the setting and not see the glowing red sign on the Games that says "This is here to enable PCs badassery. Do not touch!"

Comment

Working...
                              X