Exalted..... without exalts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Odd_Canuck View Post
    Using the mortal mechanics, making a new world/setting no problem. Removing the exalted and potent gods from the setting makes all the history, current political set up and so on fall down like a house of cards, so it's not really viable to yank them out in that context.
    True. For this setting, i'll probably... have to write an entire history.

Sigh.

Comment

Much like it is perfectly possible to play a game of D&D without even a mention of dungeons nor dragons, it is perfectly possible to play a game of Exalted without bringing up the Exalted at all.

Outside of my first mortal campaign, where the players encountered and killed a Realm Navy Dragonblooded (and the players went out of their way to meet him, with their raiding of Realm shipping), I can't remember when I actually had an Exalt play a major, or minor, role in the story. Maybe in the background, like as a religious figure or heroic myth, but that is it.

Admittedly, almost all of my stories took place far out in the Threshold, where they were unlikely to come across Exalted at anything approaching a high rate. They did, however, meet with Fair Folk, Ghosts and the like at a pretty respectable rate, but mortals are more than capable of meeting them and driving/talking them off, so long as they have a bit of preparation time. (Occult and Lore Abilities yay!)

And then, of course, you can always have "mortal" Sorcerors for your overtly-supernatural needs. I actually tend to have a relatively-high number (like, 1 in 300 - 500 people) of mortal sorcerers in my games. And then, there are the Occult "things", like knowing that salt is a good ward against the undead, and that iron is anathemic to the Fair Folk. For the last one, I actually have it as something everyone knows, and most cultures in semiregular contact (or even possible contact, like my Finnish + Abenaki people in the Northeast) will have some sort of Trollcross pendant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_cross

Comment

Yeah, you would have to redo the history. I don't think the basic big players in the setting (the Realm, Heaven, the Silver Pact) are hard to reskin in a lower power world though. Anyway, there are a few ways you could go with this if you did it:

1) The Third Age: You're in the future of the Exalted setting, magic has faded from the world, and that's final. It's a mortal world with the remnants of myth looking back at the age of myth. So you're left with a world that is like Third Age Middle Earth compared to Second Age Middle Earth.

2) The history of Creation was radically different to begin with and it never was as high magic. It's always been a lower magic world where mortal scale deeds were more significant in the whole (and if there are big gods they exist on another plane and cannot exert as much power in the mortal world to break natural law).

3) Alternate History Creation: The history of Creation is as it was, but magic ebbed away earlier; perhaps this happened at the Primordial War juncture, perhaps in the late First Age. Like in Earthdawn, you could also have it ebbing back, and horrors and monsters returning with it.
        In any of these you might have powered down echoes of the world of the Exalted here - a mystic order of prophets, mortals who use moon sorcery to gain power of beasts, a elemental kingdom of Romans-cum-Melniboneans at the core.

The way you could go as well, if you wanted, is to allow the possibility for revival of magic in your game, for all that "Playing the first superheros in the world" goodness (like being returning Solar Exalts maybe more so).

Comment

I'm not following why the more powerful stuff needs to disappear.
          Plenty of settings have gods, monsters and demigods that the PCs can't just walk up to and kick the shit out of them and I remember a D&D playing friend's criticism of Exalted going along the lines that he often felt it was less that the Exalted were mighty and much more that all the enemies were either other Exalts or paper tigers.

Onyx Path Forums Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
            Yeah, you would have to redo the history. I don't think the basic big players in the setting (the Realm, Heaven, the Silver Pact) are hard to reskin in a lower power world though.
            The Realm and Heaven are fairly easy (albiet probably Heaven just doesn't exist/talk to you depending on your level of power), but the Silver Pact I doubt. Without Lunars and their history with the First Age, a conspiracy to create societies across the world to resist the realm only through mortal means would look very different. Like...a communist version of the guild, exporting revolutions everywhere?

Restoring demonic glory in Infernals:What Hell Has Wrought

Comment

To be honest if you only remove the Exalted and put Adventurers in their place, I think it'd make a great 4e or Fantasycraft game.

Or hell keep most of the Exalted in. They're good for bosses.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
              Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

See the niggling point with me is... Well I admit maybe I misunderstood.

If you're playing a game AS MORTALS trying to get by in Creation-as-is, where it's a hard life and you try to survive, since nobody's playing any kind of Exalt, that's great. A+, because there's a lot of stories to tell.

But getting rid of the Exalts, I read as you saying "Okay so it's a world a lot like Creation. But the Exalts don't exist. Neither does Yu Shan, basically. Nor Raksha-tier Fae, no demons above the First Circle, no Dragon Bloods, no Solars, no Abyssals, no Lunars, no Deathknights, no DeathLORDS". Not that "These beings exist but fuck, you're not going to encounter them", but "These don't exist, at all".

The first one I mentioned would be VERY easy to run. Keep it to things like "You're trying to stage a rebellion and bust people out of prison, the guard is a well-trained mortal soldier, there's a single Dragon Blood in the castle who rules the land. Work against him and start an uprising" and you don't have to change much of the setting.

Hell you could even set it in outlying regions, and the Ruler is a rogue non-Exalted Sorcerer. The area is too remote and has low strategic value, so none of the Dragon Bloods or Lunars even bother with it.

Stepping in and saying "Gonna remove the Exalts from Exalted" sounds like it's needlessly complicating an issue that may not even come up.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Is the proposition for a setting in which the Exalted never existed?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Watch me play Dark Souls III (updated 02/03)
                  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                    See the niggling point with me is... Well I admit maybe I misunderstood.

If you're playing a game AS MORTALS trying to get by in Creation-as-is, where it's a hard life and you try to survive, since nobody's playing any kind of Exalt, that's great. A+, because there's a lot of stories to tell.

But getting rid of the Exalts, I read as you saying "Okay so it's a world a lot like Creation. But the Exalts don't exist. Neither does Yu Shan, basically. Nor Raksha-tier Fae, no demons above the First Circle, no Dragon Bloods, no Solars, no Abyssals, no Lunars, no Deathknights, no DeathLORDS". Not that "These beings exist but fuck, you're not going to encounter them", but "These don't exist, at all".

The first one I mentioned would be VERY easy to run. Keep it to things like "You're trying to stage a rebellion and bust people out of prison, the guard is a well-trained mortal soldier, there's a single Dragon Blood in the castle who rules the land. Work against him and start an uprising" and you don't have to change much of the setting.

Hell you could even set it in outlying regions, and the Ruler is a rogue non-Exalted Sorcerer. The area is too remote and has low strategic value, so none of the Dragon Bloods or Lunars even bother with it.

Stepping in and saying "Gonna remove the Exalts from Exalted" sounds like it's needlessly complicating an issue that may not even come up.
                    Yeah, I'm not seeing the point either. Not saying Accelerator, "Don't do it!", just not seeing the point of it. Boston123 has been running a mortal game since 3E came out. I've ran numerous mortal games. Neither of us, nor anyone else, has needed to massively overhaul the setting in order to run a mortals game.

Is there a reason why Accelerator you want to revamp the setting? Wanting a mortals game without anything more powerful that can stop your PCs from world building and uniting Creation under their rule? Or are you guys just in the mood for a gritty really low magic setting? If that's the case, then I'd take a hard look at what Ghosthead posted.

Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
                    Yeah, you would have to redo the history. I don't think the basic big players in the setting (the Realm, Heaven, the Silver Pact) are hard to reskin in a lower power world though. Anyway, there are a few ways you could go with this if you did it:

1) The Third Age: You're in the future of the Exalted setting, magic has faded from the world, and that's final. It's a mortal world with the remnants of myth looking back at the age of myth. So you're left with a world that is like Third Age Middle Earth compared to Second Age Middle Earth.

2) The history of Creation was radically different to begin with and it never was as high magic. It's always been a lower magic world where mortal scale deeds were more significant in the whole (and if there are big gods they exist on another plane and cannot exert as much power in the mortal world to break natural law).

3) Alternate History Creation: The history of Creation is as it was, but magic ebbed away earlier; perhaps this happened at the Primordial War juncture, perhaps in the late First Age. Like in Earthdawn, you could also have it ebbing back, and horrors and monsters returning with it.
                    In any of these you might have powered down echoes of the world of the Exalted here - a mystic order of prophets, mortals who use moon sorcery to gain power of beasts, a elemental kingdom of Romans-cum-Melniboneans at the core.

The way you could go as well, if you wanted, is to allow the possibility for revival of magic in your game, for all that "Playing the first superheros in the world" goodness (like being returning Solar Exalts maybe more so).
                    These are some good ideas for rewriting the setting. I want to see how Accelerator builds this game. I'm finding this topic interesting.

Good night sweet Green Sun Prince: And flights of demons beat thee to thy rest...with billyclubs!

Comment

My last Ex3 game had a Circle, some minor volcano gods, a plague, spirits, and a Liminal (some enemies, some not). As ST you control the power level and you don't have to remove the Exalts in order to keep the scope small. The launch straight into Yozis and Underworld and so on is a trope associated with a style of play, not 'the one true way to play Exalts'. You mentioned SV and it is something of a fasination there, that doesn't actually reflect Creation or Ex3 to be honest. Doesn't make it bad by any means! Just a very specific style and preference that you don't have to follow.

". ... for me, the transformative power of art is you are not above the material." -= Guillermo del Toro

Comment

Not to distract from the conversation at hand, but, out of curiousity, what is SV?

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

I am unfamiliar with the term 'SV' could someone explain?

"May you live in interesting times"

Storyteller of The Hakura Chronicle

Comment

Originally posted by Keichiokami View Post
                            I am unfamiliar with the term 'SV' could someone explain?
                            SV is Sufficient Velocity, another forum community.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
                              Not to distract from the conversation at hand, but, out of curiousity, what is SV?
                              Sufficient Velocity, another community on the internet where people discuss Exalted among other things. They have a long running thread for discussing Exalted and are quite fond of infernals and Malfeas.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post

Sufficient Velocity, another community on the internet where people discuss Exalted among other things. They have a long running thread for discussing Exalted...
                                Oh, cool. Always love more Exalted discussion.

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post

...and are quite fond of infernals and Malfeas.
                                On second thought, let's not go there. T'is a silly place.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Working...
                                X