No announcement yet.

Exalted..... without exalts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone has their preferences. Mine is for spelling things incorrectly because I have 'stupid fingers'.

But there is a tendency for communities to focus in on certain aspects of Creation and Exalted in general. Here it can feel ALL REALM ALL THE TIME (which is yay for me), other places are heavy on the West, or Lintha. It is not a judgement on thise folks but Malfeas definitely does not have to appear in your game and you definitely don't need to go punch demons, or harness them, or change reality, unless you want to. Exalted has room for all of this!

". ... for me, the transformative power of art is you are not above the material." -= Guillermo del Toro

Comment

...I can't believe I did it again. Honestly. Where is the Robot Devil when you need him?

". ... for me, the transformative power of art is you are not above the material." -= Guillermo del Toro

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Darling View Post
        ...I can't believe I did it again. Honestly. Where is the Robot Devil when you need him?
        Trapped under a solid gold fiddle, presumably.

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
          Ok, so this is a place of Exalted... without exalts.

This was pretty much discussed on SV. Let's say... remove high god. Remove the behemoths, or reduce their number. Remove the high level fae, deathlords, deathknights. Ghosts, goblins, 1st circle demons, smaller fae, and elementals still exist. Sorcery, terrestrial martial arts, still exist. But no second circle demons, except when they are either the dark lord of a empire, or the monster trying to destroy an entire country.

Anymore ideas?

You can literally do this with the setting as is. I use Pocket worlds in the wyld and what not that just have a taste of Exalted's magic, so maybe a couple of 2nd Circle Demons have made their way there, they have their own looped Reincarnation. These are particularly interesting worlds to unleash the Exalted upon. :P

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Everyone has their preferences. Mine is for spelling things incorrectly because I have 'stupid fingers'.

But there is a tendency for communities to focus in on certain aspects of Creation and Exalted in general. Here it can feel ALL REALM ALL THE TIME (which is yay for me), other places are heavy on the West, or Lintha. It is not a judgement on thise folks but Malfeas definitely does not have to appear in your game and you definitely don't need to go punch demons, or harness them, or change reality, unless you want to. Exalted has room for all of this!
            I'm glad some of the writers acknowledge that not every group has to play the same way. I've gotten the impression that a lot of the changes in 3rd edition were about consciously preventing styles of game the devs didn't like- "some storytellers made the characters' past incarnations a big part of the story, so ex3 won't mention them in the corebook at all", "some storytellers made the game all about saving the world from apocalypses so ex3 won't suggest any apocalypse scenarios, even explicitly-only-possible-if-the-storyteller-wants-it-to-be ones like the Reclamation", etc.

Comment

The Core book is just the first book of the edition, give them a chance. It seeems to be an opener not a closer.

Comment

Originally posted by diagrapher View Post

I'm glad some of the writers acknowledge that not every group has to play the same way. I've gotten the impression that a lot of the changes in 3rd edition were about consciously preventing styles of game the devs didn't like- "some storytellers made the characters' past incarnations a big part of the story, so ex3 won't mention them in the corebook at all", "some storytellers made the game all about saving the world from apocalypses so ex3 won't suggest any apocalypse scenarios, even explicitly-only-possible-if-the-storyteller-wants-it-to-be ones like the Reclamation", etc.
                ...I play with the Devs mate, I work with 'em and I write with 'em. That was not at all part of their 'motif' for game design.

Comment

...I play with the Devs mate, I work with 'em and I write with 'em. That was not at all part of their 'motif' for game design.
                  Glad to hear it wasn't. Sorry.

Comment

That said, the presence of an impending apocalypse has this way of eclipsing other stories in people's brains, so inserting apocalyptic events - even explicitly optional ones - will skew the stories told with the game drastically.

Comment

As the Count says, yeah. The changes that seem to "exclude" past options are more intended to make for a more inclusive option.

"Magitech is dead!" No, Magitech just isn't the all-encompassing all-defining all-existing all-drowning aesthetic that it became in 2e, since every writer making new things wanted to make the new cool shinies, and they made magitech artifacts "better" in exchange for their flaws [see: pre-errata armor. 5 dots for a chunk of soak and hardness, or 5 dots for all that plus six power picks off this crazy-awesome list, in exchange for a repair mechanic]. You can have your gearpunk power armor, or you can have majestic full plate, and the latter doesn't have to be worse in order to make room for the former. They're just aesthetics defining your evocations, and neither was the "correct" First Age one, so your beautiful first age winged hussar-style plate doesn't need to have gears glued onto it to be magitechy enough to be First Age.

"The apocalypses are forbidden!" No,it's just that they want to avoid presenting them as a Thing that is Most Definitely Happening, because if they make the statement that Silver Prince is two years from conquering the west and turning it into an apocalyptic sea zombie wasteland, your little political dramas in an eastern backwater are an objective waste of time, you should be out punching him out. A given ST can still implement Silver Prince's Pirates of Dark Water plot all he likes, but it's his choice to do so; keeping it on the down-low and not really mentioning it in the core books makes it feel less obligatory to some players, and makes it less of a "correct" position to argue from in any discussions.
                      Last edited by Meianno Yuurei; 02-12-2017, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Just curious why were Abyssals always considered okay but Infernals' plan a nono? I mean 13 evil munchkins wanting to wipe out the Universe is Worse then Hell wanting to corrupt everything?

Comment

The trouble with Infernals, as I understand it from discussions with developers, was multifaceted but had a few core things.
                          1) Scope creep. Infernals had a lot of powers that worked way beyond "I punch a man and he dies", like Chirality Prohibition Index [makes an entire area subtly conform to your will just by using the charm] and the like. Additionally they had the transhuman angle. This pushed the game a bit out of the heroic drama range that was desirable.
                          2) Origin of powers. Solar charms come from the Solar being so good at swording they sword the best. Infernals' powers.... were written as basically leveraging the powers of the yozis. To the developer I spoke with at least this narratively made the Infernal less of an actor and more the proxy for the yozi, no matter how cleverly you used those powers in a way the originating yozi never would.
                          3) "No Backsies". The Reclamation was seen as something of an undoing of a narrative pillar. "The Solars banished the Yozis forever." getting interjected with "...except then corrupted Solars worked to free them". It undermined the idea of the action that was taken in the first place.

These are mostly vaguely-remembered examples from a discussion four years ago, but they're what I remember, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkon View Post
                            These are some good ideas for rewriting the setting. I want to see how Accelerator builds this game. I'm finding this topic interesting.
                            Cheers Darkon.

Btw, Accelerator, a few more ideas for junction points where you could go for a lower magical world in this rpg.net thread - https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php...free-Creation/ (being still post-2e, pre-3e, it of course contains a tangent of "Well, if you removed the Exalted, obviously you'd totally keep all the powerful gods and demons around and mortals could be tooled up with magitech mecha and starfighters instead!").

(Oddly found this one as the first hit after sticking "YMCV" and "Exalted" into Google - checking the acronym YCMV was a real thing, as I was totally gonna make *such* a pithy post about "Hey, Your Creation May Vary! When we did we lose that? : ( " before figuring out that would be both kind of passive aggressive / not too likely to sway anyone's opinion).

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                              Just curious why were Abyssals always considered okay but Infernals' plan a nono? I mean 13 evil munchkins wanting to wipe out the Universe is Worse then Hell wanting to corrupt everything?
                              Abyssals aren't okay but people have a much better idea of what's wrong with them.
                              Infernals are at once a darling of vast swathes of the fanbase and so fucked up beyond all recognition that their fluff is effectively whatever your Storyteller gives them. You can't really talk about Chapter 1 and 2 with a lot of Infernal fans, I've found bringing them up is a "thems fightin' words" scenario.

Onyx Path Forums Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Darkon View Post
                                Yeah, I'm not seeing the point either. Not saying Accelerator, "Don't do it!", just not seeing the point of it. Boston123 has been running a mortal game since 3E came out. I've ran numerous mortal games. Neither of us, nor anyone else, has needed to massively overhaul the setting in order to run a mortals game.

Is there a reason why Accelerator you want to revamp the setting? Wanting a mortals game without anything more powerful that can stop your PCs from world building and uniting Creation under their rule? Or are you guys just in the mood for a gritty really low magic setting? If that's the case, then I'd take a hard look at what Ghosthead posted.

These are some good ideas for rewriting the setting. I want to see how Accelerator builds this game. I'm finding this topic interesting.
                                Hahhahahah.

Me? Rewrite the setting? Builds this game?

For one thing, I don't think I can do it. That's why I'm asking.

Comment

Working...
                                X