Tomb of Dreams now in Proofing.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
    Y'all may be overestimating the degree to which the scenario takes into account the pregens' backgrounds.
    This is a bit why I was hesitant to note a few, but I tend to think that even if it is a Jumpstart, these are characters you'd want to be in a group again. And so some who are super tied to their location or other characters in thier background conceptually are not going to be as usable (hence why I am persoanlly not so sure we'd see Admiral Sand, Huyla or Juinan). Similarly, I kind of doubt we'd see characters who's backgrounds are just not very good unless this is a good chance to retcon them to be less shitty (Lyta, Havesh).

And stuff.

And stuff.
    Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
      Y'all may be overestimating the degree to which the scenario takes into account the pregens' backgrounds.
      Well their backgrounds inform who they are. Even if we ignore their specific backgrounds, Orchid is a War leader and trainer of people and Iay is a sailor, Sorcerer, and foe of the Wyld. So it's hard for me to think that a Fae Army won't show up at some point in the adventure. Because, if you didn't want those capabilities, why pick those characters?

On the other hand, this does up the chances Crow the Boy makes it into the adventure.

Placeholder

Comment

Originally posted by SpruceStripedGoose View Post

Not sure if "sunglasses" means you are trolling or not...

Lyta and Havesh aren't what I would consider to be typical Solar starting characters, I mean their origin stores are typical, but their actual position as Solars is more antagonistic than say the signature Solars. Scarlet Whisper is cool though.
        Eric is totally trolling us.

Placeholder

Comment

Originally posted by Blaque View Post

This is a bit why I was hesitant to note a few, but I tend to think that even if it is a Jumpstart, these are characters you'd want to be in a group again. And so some who are super tied to their location or other characters in thier background conceptually are not going to be as usable (hence why I am persoanlly not so sure we'd see Admiral Sand, Huyla or Juinan). Similarly, I kind of doubt we'd see characters who's backgrounds are just not very good unless this is a good chance to retcon them to be less shitty (Lyta, Havesh).

And stuff.
          Thing is, Iay's background is pretty tied into his concept as "Guy who makes sure this specific group of islands doesn't accidentally dissolve back into the Wyld, likely killing everyone I know and love." So, I think it's reasonably safe to say that we can ignore the specifics of what might tie them to a given place, and instead focus more on their general background, personality and capabilities.

Placeholder

Comment

That's a good point actually. Though in that regard I would probably stick with that set still. Mostly due to over-exposure of a couple of 'em and also I think the fact that I personally like those three a lot and find them underused in Exalted media anyhow. :P

And stuff.

And stuff.
            Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post

Thing is, Iay's background is pretty tied into his concept as "Guy who makes sure this specific group of islands doesn't accidentally dissolve back into the Wyld, likely killing everyone I know and love." So, I think it's reasonably safe to say that we can ignore the specifics of what might tie them to a given place, and instead focus more on their general background, personality and capabilities.

What if a character from each direction gets swept up by Wyld shenanigans? Where Tomb of 5 Corners sent a circle out in every direction, maybe this quick start brings a circle together?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                On the other hand, this does up the chances Crow the Boy makes it into the adventure.
                Hrm, I thought Crow the Boy was dead. Am I misremembering some other rarely referenced 1E character dying?

Comment

Originally posted by HighPriest View Post

Hrm, I thought Crow the Boy was dead. Am I misremembering some other rarely referenced 1E character dying?
                  Despite 2e's best attempts, the timeline doesn't actually advance in Exalted normally, so I dobut she is dead in actuality even if she got capped randomly somewhere I'm missing.

And stuff.

And stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by HighPriest View Post
                    No. Only thing we ever got was in Aspect Book: Wood, Blackrose having a memory of killing a young Solar urchin who lived in an unnamed city. Could be anyone, anywhere. The artwork accompanying that page shows her killing someone who is dressed like Crow the Boy (an urchin with goggles), but it's far more likely that was simply an artistic flourish than because Grawbowski and Chambers specifically wanted Crow the Boy to be dead.

Comment

Ah, ok. Yeah, an image in a third tier supplement isn't exactly significant evidence of a character dying.

Comment

Hey, "An artist got cheeky and drew something they weren't asked to draw" is how we got Jean Grey dead for a decade. Never let it be said that artists doodling random bullshit doesn't affect canon.

(I prefer Crow not being dead, but, look, regardless of what the writer intended, that's a picture of Tepet Ejava killing Crow. There's no way the artist accidentally drew her killing a random Solar urchin who just happens to look like Crow.)

Comment

I wouldn't hold the dev team of a new edition to one random illustration from a prior one.

Rose Bailey
                          Onyx Path Development Producer
                          Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

Well, with no resurrections on the table, we must turn to more desperate measures to bring back beloved Crow the Boy. Someone call the Seven-Degreed Physician!

<3

Comment

Question, who is this crow person people are talking about?

Comment

Crow the Boy is a sample Night Caste (I think?) from the castebooks. She's called Crow the Boy because she posed as a boy when she was running with youth gangs in Nexus before she Exalted; she Exalted, she's still in youth gangs, but now she leads one, and she's no longer pretending to be a boy but Crow the Boy as her name has stuck. She may or may not be some sort of LGBT or genderfluid representation depending on how you read her.

She wasn't one of the characters who got a full writeup; she just got a summary at the end of the book under "Other Night Castes." She did get a portrait.

In Aspect Book: Wood, Tepet Ejava tells the story of hunting down and killing a child Solar in some city somewhere as part of a Wyld Hunt, but the illustration very clearly uses Crow the Boy's character design for the child Solar she's killing. We have word from the writer of that section that it wasn't intended to be any Solar in particular the Roseblack killed (and, indeed, writers do not write art notes, so they couldn't have known that scenario would get an illo), so the likeliest explanation is that the artist was trying to be clever. (Specifically the sort of cleverness that would leave me absolutely livid if it happened under my nose during the process of developing a book, but maybe that's just me.)
                                Last edited by Stephen Lea Sheppard; 03-06-2017, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X