No announcement yet.

The Sun comes from Primodial gay sex ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sun comes from Primodial gay sex ?

Actually not the usual NSFW Jen-thread, I have a bunch of questions about gods since I want to create some, but then realize that I have no idea what to include in the write up...

1/ Okay, so let say that a place worships deity [X], and of course there is myths about how X becomes a god (or how X is created) and their adventures, there are festival celebrated in their name, specific form of worship toward them and a bunch of other things like symbol or iconography. But how do people know these things exactly ? Like, does that god just appear out of nowhere and hands out to the people a guidebook on "How to worship X" ?

2/ Does gods usually punish their worshipers for "blasphemy" ? Like, if a city's big book of UCS myth says that he comes from Primordial gay sex, will the city get smite if the big guy knows about it ?

3/ Related to the title, I'm puzzled on where do gods come from ? I know that they are created by the Primordial, but I'm curious on how they are created. Do the Primordial mass product gods or is it a case of:

Malfeas: Hey Ebby, we need someone who is good at reading reports about suicide, go create one. Oh, and no need to make those dolls to watch over dead babies, some creepy thing rose from Szoreny's semen so I assign that job to them.

Since I have some gods whose personality/power would make more sense if they are create by a specific Primordial.

4/ The malleability of gods. I saw fluffs scatters across various books on how gods can gain new charms/power or even change appearance when their job change. Are there any detailed info on this ? Is it a "racial trait" like Fair Folk's aversion to cold iron, is it voluntary, do they lose the new attribute if they change to a new position ? Also, how does this interact with question 1, as in, if they do change their appearance, do they make any effort to try and make people "fix" all the statue/painting/myth to reflect the the god's new appearance ?

There is the real world example of Guanyin who went from a masculine looking male to the iconic white cloth woman, but I'm not sure how the process will go if Guanyin really does exist.

5/ Will there be any serious changes to Creation's history if I add to the definition of gods the phrase "Also include any being who is employed by Yu-Shan". Kinda like Chinese's myth, Sun Wukong is a stone monkey, Nezha is some kind of homunculus in a lotus body, and there are various demon who is deified after practicing Taoist, and all of them are gods.

6/ Does the majority of gods follow the philosophy of "God of X will look like X" ? What I mean is that god of fire has fire hair, god of bird has bird wings, god of anger has angry face,....etc. Since most of my inspiration comes from Buddhism and Chinese myth whom deities mostly don't have that restriction. For example, Daiseishi who is the Bodhisattva of wisdom.....doesn't look like a librarian with brush and book.

7/ Inspiration for Exalted's gods draws form all cultures on Earth, right ? Since I'm not sure if "Most gods look like human" is a thing or not, because it does in Chinese's Heaven (the one that Yu-Shan supposely based on):

A bunch of human-looking bureaucrat scholar reading reports is easy to comprehend, Mictlantecuhtli (i.e a blood-splattered skeleton) doing that is......really hard for me to imagine, though I guess this is one of Exalted's charm that make it stands out among other RPGs ?

8/ If my homebrew god has Artifacts, where are they usually come from ? Commissions from craft gods ? Came with the god when they are created by the Primordials ?
    Last edited by Jen; 02-15-2017, 03:06 PM.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Before I read very much of the post or try answering any questions, I just have to comment on that picture, because it is just beautiful.

​I especially like how you take your usual depiction of the Ebon Dragon and modify it slightly to fit in more with this aesthetic.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Dang, that's fancy nice.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post

1/ Okay, so let say that a place worships deity [X], and of course there is myths about how X becomes a god (or how X is created) and their adventures, there are festival celebrated in their name, specific form of worship toward them and a bunch of other things like symbol or iconography. But how do people know these things exactly ? Like, does that god just appear out of nowhere and hands out to the people a guidebook on "How to worship X" ?
        ​I'd say it varies, although more than a few times it probably is liable to include a god appearing amongst the people with some impressive display and proclaiming the preferred manner of worship and telling a story about themselves. On other occasions, they probably place these ideas into the mind of somebody chosen as an intermediary. I would also say that on occasion, people become familiar with a god through second hand sources such as old literature or hearing stories from other people, and fill in some of the gaps themselves.

Originally posted by Jen
        2/ Does gods usually punish their worshipers for "blasphemy" ? Like, if a city's big book of UCS myth says that he comes from Primordial gay sex, will the city get smite if the big guy knows about it ?
        ​I'd say that the Sun himself is still distant enough to not notice anybody developing such heresy, although some devotee god might come across it and take offence on his behalf. I would say that more invested gods also would display their displeasure if they became aware of an offensive narrative about them taking hold in a community.

Originally posted by Jen
        3/ Related to the title, I'm puzzled on where do gods come from ? I know that they are created by the Primordial, but I'm curious on how they are created. Do the Primordial mass product gods or is it a case of:

Since I have some gods whose personality/power would make more sense if they are create by a specific Primordial.
        ​It's never really established, because of what I find as an implication that most gods were made a long time ago. My perspective is that most of them were made together during some grand, mythic event, but the Incarnae came first and individually, and a few times afterwards some things like the picture you describe could have come up according to new circumstances or the whims of the Primordials.

Originally posted by Jen
        4/ The malleability of gods. I saw fluffs scatters across various books on how gods can gain new charms/power or even change appearance when their job change. Are there any detailed info on this ? Is it a "racial trait" like Fair Folk's aversion to cold iron, is it voluntary, do they lose the new attribute if they change to a new position ? Also, how does this interact with question 1, as in, if they do change their appearance, do they make any effort to try and make people "fix" all the statue/painting/myth to reflect the the god's new appearance ?
        ​It's really just a thing that happens if a god happens to have a particularly noteworthy change in station. Ahlat is the big one; he used to look more like a walrus when he was a god of their mating rituals, then he was promoted to a cattle god and eventually took on the bull characteristics. He always had a martial character, which was part of why he leveraged his new position into the basis of being a powerful war god.

​I don't think it's really a matter of the stories people tell about them, and I wouldn't think it's very hard for a god to resist a change that is severely unwanted.

Originally posted by Jen
        5/ Will there be any serious changes to Creation's history if I add to the definition of gods the phrase "Also include any being who is employed by Yu-Shan". Kinda like Chinese's myth, Sun Wukong is a stone monkey, Nezha is some kind of homunculus in a lotus body, and there are various demon who is deified after practicing Taoist, and all of them are gods.
        ​I would say it makes no difference, and is a fitting idea.

Originally posted by Jen
        6/ Does the majority of gods follow the philosophy of "God of X will look like X" ? What I mean is that god of fire has fire hair, god of bird has bird wings, god of anger has angry face,....etc. Since most of my inspiration comes from Buddhism and Chinese myth whom deities mostly don't have that restriction. For example, Daiseishi who is the Bodhisattva of wisdom.....doesn't look like a librarian with brush and book.
        ​I don't recall there being a huge proscription on what gods look like. The god of gambling looks like a four armed, human shaped field of stars, so you can get all sorts.

Originally posted by Jen
        7/ Inspiration for Exalted's gods draws form all cultures on Earth, right ? Since I'm not sure if "Most gods look like human" is a thing or not, because it does in Chinese's Heaven (the one that Yu-Shan supposely based on):
        ​Probably a lot of cultures, and more than a bit of old weird fantasy pulp fiction. Gods in Exalted can look decidedly odd, even beyond a human with the head of an animal. The god of dying is a tornado with wings.

I do imagine that most of the minor gods who serve as functionaries and secretaries look more human, though.

Originally posted by Jen
        8/ If my homebrew god has Artifacts, where are they usually come from ? Commissions from craft gods ? Came with the god when they are created by the Primordials ?
        ​Some Artifacts are part of a panoply that is iconic to the god, some are made from ambrosia by craft gods, occasionally when one god manages to defeat another they gain the right to transform the loser into a tool (which was different from the idea that you killed gods and turned their bodies into starmetal). The current god of Eastern hunting or war or something owns a jade whistle that she made from her predecessor that lets her command beasts.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Skimming through my god's sketches, I do have another question (also kinda prompt by Lioness's post on the Bluesid thread).

Are there any writing tips that I can use when I want to make a god of bad things who is not a evil psychopath. The canon god of slavery has connection to the Lover, the god of addiction want everyone in Creation hooked on cocaine, or Han Tha who is the god of decay.

I got nothing aside from making them the non-corrupted type who don't care about expanding their domain.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

Skimming through my god's sketches, I do have another question (also kinda prompt by Lioness's post on the Bluesid thread).

Are there any writing tips that I can use when I want to make a god of bad things who is not a evil psychopath. The canon god of slavery has connection to the Lover, the god of addiction want everyone in Creation hooked on cocaine, or Han Tha who is the god of decay.

I got nothing aside from making them the non-corrupted type who don't care about expanding their domain.
            That, in itself, would be quite a few steps up. It could also be that the god has a kind of hobby or way of life that they wish to practice and that their duties are a burden on their artistry or true expertise. Those two extreme seem to come up often, because "obviously evil reveler in evil things" and "otherwise normal person who has to log terrible things" lead to conflicts more easily, I think.

Comment

I would say that the nicest that such a god can be is that they have responsibility for such a thing when wider policies in Heaven judge it as being required to not only ensure it takes place with limited collateral damage, but even having a certain requirement to keep it limited and under control.

​And even that primarily for ones with higher authority. I'd say that a better person in the position of... I can't remember, something City-Smiter, god of ruins, you'd have a more middle-management type of god whose primary responsibility is to just observe and document, and the god is fine with that.

​I think god of decay may have been a position given to a different spirit in Compass: Yu-Shan that belonged to a decent god, I'll check back on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                The god of dying is a tornado with wings.
                Wait, where's that from? I don't recall any gods of dying apart from, like, Saturn.

But sexually.

Comment

There's a whole Bureau of them, dude.

Comment

There is a god of disasters/apocalypses/catastrophe's that is apparently quite a nice, laid-back guy, it is just that his job is to document the fall of civilizations.

Comment

I appreciate the need for the occasional easy heel. I've used Han Tha and Rabszolga because they have the kind of villainy that PCs see and go “I must put an end to this!”. Rabszolga performed a rather invaluable service to my long-running Exalted game by giving me an excuse to portray one of my old PCs an abolitionist pirate girl as the Lover Clad's will-broken plaything as an obvious red flag to my players that she wasn't the hot cougar sugarmommy that she seemed*.

I do have regional gods of slavery who are more about the business or the necessity of it.

*I've got enough women in my game who are open and honest about their sexuality that I kind of felt it necessary to highlight "Its a trap!" when they finally got to the Lover Clad.

Onyx Path Forums Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Ellis View Post
                        Wait, where's that from? I don't recall any gods of dying apart from, like, Saturn.
                        ​Taru-Han, Lady of Souls, god of dying and shogun of the department of Abstract Matters in the Bureau of Heaven. She governs the act of dying and the moment of death, namely by being the one who has responsibility for sending minor gods to ensure the timely collection of the soul to be herded back to Heaven for reassignment (although she illegally keeps a collection of a few choice souls for herself). Taru-Han has no say in who dies or when, she is merely in charge of the moment in which they do.

​I had slightly mixed up her description with those of her soul collectors; Taru-Han takes the form of a tornado with black tendrils that she can use to manipulate objects.

​She's also the direct superior of Lytek and occupies his former position; thus, she's often suspicious of him. She values the position less for its own sake and more for the fact that it largely places her above the law, allowing her to maintain her collection with impunity.

​She's mentioned in either Edition's book describing Yu-Shan, and I think at least one other place as well.

Comment

Sometimes a negative domain can have interesting repercussions.

You could actually have a god of mischief or crime who is actually deeply invested in well-structured laws and mores that most people follow and respect. After all, what's the point of mischief if there aren't rules to be broken? What good is crime if people just kind of shrug and go, "Oh, that's life."?

They wouldn't necessarily be on good terms with the PC's all the time, but they would be utterly horrified at lawlessness, or those who twist the social order to their own ends, and that at least makes them useful allies in certain circumstances.

Because, really: if you're going to be a dastardly criminal at least have the decency to be honest with yourself about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                            ​And even that primarily for ones with higher authority. I'd say that a better person in the position of... I can't remember, something City-Smiter, god of ruins, you'd have a more middle-management type of god whose primary responsibility is to just observe and document, and the god is fine with that.
                            Eeeh, isn't Amoth kinda actively want everyone in Creation to live in ruins according to his Motivation, and is doing anything he can to make that happen (which also led to the Wyld getting stronger).

Comment

Eeeh, isn't Amoth kinda actively want everyone in Creation to live in ruins according to his Motivation, and is doing anything he can to make that happen (which also led to the Wyld getting stronger).
                              Our party was working with him on some deal or another and during the discussion he had a servant bring in a tiny model city so he could smash it while talking to us.

He was our favorite NPC from then on.

Comment

Working...
                              X