Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CapitanTypo View Post

What was your involvement in the film?
    I was part of the VFX team in Singapore.

Comment

Originally posted by Anathemouse View Post

I was part of the VFX team in Singapore.
      Cool. Did you focus on a specific sequence/character set?

Visit me at Shades of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

Our team was responsible for every shot that featured the green monsters, most of the battle scenes on the wall, and the Kai Feng city battle. Plus a ton of set extension work around the Valley. It was a pretty fun show, because the director gave us a lot of freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by Anathemouse View Post
          Our team was responsible for every shot that featured the green monsters, most of the battle scenes on the wall, and the Kai Feng city battle. Plus a ton of set extension work around the Valley. It was a pretty fun show, because the director gave us a lot of freedom.

Wow - so that accounts for about 2/3 or the movie's effects shots?

Out of curiosity, how many people does it take to do effects for a film like that? And do you have any idea how many of the stunt sequences were practical and how many were CG?

Visit me at Shades of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

Originally posted by CapitanTypo View Post

Wow - so that accounts for about 2/3 or the movie's effects shots?

Out of curiosity, how many people does it take to do effects for a film like that? And do you have any idea how many of the stunt sequences were practical and how many were CG?
            It's a really high percentage so fun to animate all the mayhem. I am not sure of the exact breakdown of practical vs CG (besides it would spoil some of the magic if I told you ). It takes a ton of people. If you watch the credits for the vfx section, you will see a ton of names scroll by. And even then, not everyone gets a credit (sadly there is only so much space on the reel). Think mid to high hundreds but less than a thousand.

Comment

So much overthinking.
              It's a movie largely made of everyone being badass defending against super aliens but IN CHINA.

It's china!sucker punch.

(also Anathemouse is to be congratulated along with his team. loved it.)
              Last edited by Synapse; 03-07-2017, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapse View Post
                So much overthinking.
                It's a movie largely made of everyone being badass defending against super aliens but IN CHINA.

It's china!sucker punch.
                Are we talking about the same Sucker Punch, here?

Comment

Disagree all that you will, I'm more concerned by just how much in this thread you can see an active effort to not enjoy the movie.
                  Hint: if you keep digging for problems of political nature, you'll always find them. Forever. No matter what. Because that's politics and we've been a few years into a zeitgeist that loves to skip 128 steps to declare a connection (oh, and tries to attach this kind of analysis to the possibility of enjoying the material).
                  Last edited by Synapse; 03-07-2017, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I thought you were implying Sucker Punch was about super aliens. >.>

Comment

I'm also confused by the Sucker Punch comparison.

Sucker Punch wasn't a movie that its critics over-analysed and sucked all the fun out of it, for me it was a bait and switch that promised cool action scenes but were ultimately were products of the heroine's imagination in her doomed attempt to escape an insane asylum. I think most people would've preferred a movie of Babydoll and friends battling their way into Mordor or whatever without interludes of them being asylum in mates or helpless sex slaves that they could switch their brains off and enjoy.

It was the attempt to be this layered fantasy that invited questions about just what the fuck was happening to those girls in reality and with it comparisons to much better movies.

Comment

I was talking about two different things, sorry, made it confusing. The sucker punch comparison is about the viewing pleasure dissociated from script complexity.
                        Not every Dragon Maid needs to be a Baccano, you know?
                        Well, I will revise this posting once I get some sleep. I don't know how much discussion I should stir in the first place.
                        Last edited by Synapse; 03-07-2017, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X