Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do when your PC wants to name their Demon Snail Gary?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call the player on it being a Spongbob reference.
    Failing that, allow it to happen. It's a snail-demon pet, hardly the sort of thing to completely derail a plot everytime somebody wants to pet/feed ol'Gary.
    Failing that, remind them that Gary means 'spear' in Old English and suggest they come up with a sufficiently Exalted name incorporating Gary/Spear into itself.

Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

Comment

For heritage you could have the snail descend from that giant slug demon that lives on the side of one of Malfeas' walls(Sides?). I think the slug was a 3rd circle or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Eura View Post
        For heritage you could have the snail descend from that giant slug demon that lives on the side of one of Malfeas' walls(Sides?). I think the slug was a 3rd circle or something.
        Nah I already know where the Creeping Shelters come from, they are cast offs of the Boat of Tongues.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

My OP hellcat buffed with everything Supernal Survival could throw at it was called 'Prickles'.

I don't mind dissonant naming obviously. Why make it a big deal?

". ... for me, the transformative power of art is you are not above the material." -= Guillermo del Toro

Comment

I think viewing it as "Gar-Rii" would be a little less immersion breaking for you than "Gary" is.

When one is accustomed to privilege, equality seems like oppression.

Comment

Originally posted by TidyGamer View Post
              I think viewing it as "Gar-Rii" would be a little less immersion breaking for you than "Gary" is.

That's actually the trick I use whenever they have too familiar names.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I personally just let it happen, but I don't mind a bit of silliness in my games. Someone else here suggested dressing up the name a little bit, talking to the player usually helps, at least in my personal experience.

I make martial arts sometimes they're in my Scroll of Mixed Martial Arts.
                I also made an entire 3rd circle and her soul structure.
                My repository of random media rip offs, from Anime to book series. Mostly Anime. It's all in my Manuscript of Merry Mischief.
                Total weeb.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Darling View Post
                  My OP hellcat buffed with everything Supernal Survival could throw at it was called 'Prickles'.

I don't mind dissonant naming obviously. Why make it a big deal?
                  For the same reason you don't name all your PCs "Lucy", the ST doesn't call your PC's waiter at the Teahouse "Waiter Number 12,461," and the core book doesn't refer to the Scarlet Empress as Too Much Hairspray Lady.

Comment

I think dissonant humor is fine, just like pepper in food is fine. A little bit can be fun, but too much ruins the meal. If your players don't know where to draw that line, you are entirely justified in pointing out how much is too much.

Gary the Demon-Snail would be a beloved character in the game I run, but only because he stands in contrast to the larger part of the game that isn't Gary the Demon-Snail.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

My Twilight has a Blood Ape familiar with glasses, an accent, and the name Winston. Sooooo not really a big problem for me. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Totentanz View Post

For the same reason you don't name all your PCs "Lucy", the ST doesn't call your PC's waiter at the Teahouse "Waiter Number 12,461," and the core book doesn't refer to the Scarlet Empress as Too Much Hairspray Lady.
                        OP didn't suggest everything had a mundane kind of name, thus 'dissonance'.

". ... for me, the transformative power of art is you are not above the material." -= Guillermo del Toro

Comment

The PC being from Thedas seems like it has greater potential to take me out of things than Gary the Snail.

Simple Exigent Guidelines, a work in progress

Comment

So, having looked at this again, with slightly less flippancy...

It really seems that the name isn't the point. I mean, we have a Solar Circle sorcery spell called "Death Ray" which was literally called that because the writer loved the incongruity of sorcerers muttering in hushed tones about the lost and terrible magic of.... the Death Ray. So this sort of thing is literally built into the setting.

The problem comes from whether this bugs you or any of your players particularly much. There's reasons it could. Going with a blatant pop culture reference does make for the thing to be inherently more difficult to take seriously in a session. It may be a sign the player doesn't take the game seriously. But these are all things where you should just hash this sort of thing out with the player directly. The name isn't the problem. Pop culture in your games isn't the problem, as evidenced by the fact that you've got a transplanted Thedas in your setting already.

Inherently, if the name bothers you, bring it up with the player. Either it's a dumb joke that they won't mind passing on if it actually bugs you, or it'll be an intro into a talk about the kind of game you want to run. Either way, it's a discussion you want to have, rather than hemming and hawing around the edges of it. Sometimes people don't inherently get the kind of game you're wanting to run and you just have to make it a little more clear. No major drama there.

Comment

Inform them that their demon snail only communicates in cat-like meows and hisses.
                              Last edited by Xanandithras; 02-22-2017, 04:58 PM.

Thread Reaper <(´ ՞)ਊ( ՞ )>

Comment

Working...
                              X