Ysyr and the Dragon Blooded

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    Ohhh I'm very frustrated now. Part of that is that I've had a terrible week, buuuut...
    My apologies; I didn't mean to distress you. I was a bit salty myself.
    Last edited by Eric Minton; 03-03-2017, 10:21 PM.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

Terrible week all around, it seems.

Did anyone have a good week this week?

Does anyone know if we can just mulligan this one?

Comment

Legit, my week sucked too.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
        I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
          I think the problem is that it frequently tries to communicate the potential of Outcaste Dragon-Blooded through stereotype rather than example.
          If (for example) you say that Outcaste women in Chiaroscuro tend to take the grey some people are going to read that as them being common enough to draw trends when the author may actually be trying to say that the life of a male Delzhan has more uses for the kind of power Dragon-Blooded wield.
          I think part of this problem is the notion that every map dot has its own Dragon-Blooded unless its culture is actively pushing them out.

Terrestrial Exaltation has the potential to Exalt someone out of nowhere without any apparent Dragon-Blooded heritage but to me that was always something intended for player characters rather than a phenomena we should expect to see happening all over the world.

IMO we should ask why a locale has Dragon-Blooded rather than why not.

Comment

Hmmm... while I prefer to have small Dragonblood dynasties in different areas (not necessarily that the whole family is Dragonblood, but a few members are... generally it'll be the royal family of course, but it could vary), because I think it's a)likely, and b)more interesting for both me and the players; I actually think it's a bit exaggerated to say that it's just a line to explain PCs. I think it actually is indeed intended that there are just random DBs in random places. There are about 10000 of them outside the Realm after all (of which Lookshy is just, I think, about 1000), which is a lot. Not a lot per country sure, but still.

In fact, one of the reasons I like to put DB Outcastes into little families is that I think the books actually present the vast majority of those 10000 outcastes as being random guys with a Dragonblooded great-grandfather.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              In fact, one of the reasons I like to put DB Outcastes into little families is that I think the books actually present the vast majority of those 10000 outcastes as being random guys with a Dragonblooded great-grandfather.
              I actually like that aspect, that actual families and dynasties of Dragon Blooded are fairly rare, and in the Threshold most Dragon Blooded simply Exalt on their own without any immediate relationship to any other Exalt.

Out of curiosity, why don't you care for that?

Comment

I can mostly speak of 2e because that's the edition that introduced me to Exalted.

MoEP: Dragon-Blooded paints a picture of a world were random Outcastes seem to pop up so much that multiple places on the map are treating them like some contemptible mutant minority - Halta executing Fire Aspects because they might hurt the trees, Varang basically wanting all Exalts to fuck off because of their caste system, Coral being such devoted cock worshipers that they're encouraging female Outcastes to leave and the Bull of the North has got people hunting down and murdering Outcaste children like he's fucking Hitler.

Onyx Path Forums Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

I actually like that aspect, that actual families and dynasties of Dragon Blooded are fairly rare, and in the Threshold most Dragon Blooded simply Exalt on their own without any immediate relationship to any other Exalt.

Out of curiosity, why don't you care for that?
                  I don't detest it. I'm not horrified by random Outcastes everywhere. It's just that a)it's a bit dull, and b)since Dragonblood exaltation is passed by the blood, I'd expect various small families of Dragonblood, rather than just random dudes all over the place. It would seem kind of odd if the only DB families in the world are the Scarlet Dynasty, House Ferem, Lookshy's DBs, and... that's it (Were the Forest Witches related to each other?)

I'd expect some random Outcastes, of course, but not just them. I mean, an Outcaste is more likely to have mortal kids than Dragonblood, but she's still far, far more likely to have Dragonblood kids than most people are.

Also, it helps reinforce that Outcastes are not just lower-powered Solar-equivalent random heroes, but have their own thing going on. Family is a theme of Dragonblood, and Outcaste families let you explore it in other ways to the decadent royal Scarlet Dynasty.

For example, perhaps a royal family with 1 Dragonblood every generation or two, or a Dragonblooded hero with 20 grandkids, one of whom is also a Dragonblood and is learning kung-fu from his grandpa.

Also, I like to have bits and bobs from the Shogunate (because I always feel that, considering that it precedes the Second Age, the Shogunate is often overlooked by the fluff), so I've thrown in the occasional royal family that is descended from a Shogunate Daimyo, and has a few Dragonblood.

So, in my recently-ended 3rd ed game, there were two non-Realm groups of DBs that the PCs encountered.

The first, were the high priests/commanders of a country called Varamaya (but they weren't actually the government). The country had 5 elemental castes (wood-farmers, fire-soldiers, water-traders, etc), and each caste had DB priests at the top. Of course, the number of DBs in the country, while higher than neighbouring countries, was pretty small. There were 2 fire aspected cousins, an old earth aspect and his earth aspected grandson, 2 air aspects who were secretly half-siblings (because they were desperate not to let the bloodline die out), 3 water aspects two of which had had an arranged marriage, and 5 wood aspects in a group marriage.

Another group I had was 4 similar countries each ruled by a Dragonblood King+Queen. Except actually most of the monarchs were only Dragonblood according to legal fiction; there was a total of one Dragonblood queen, one Dragonblood uncle-of-the-king, one elemental-blood-pretending-to-be-Dragonblood, and one undersea mutant pretending to be a Water aspect.

So, I was playing the themes of family and decreasing blood purity that are part of Dragonblood.
                  It seemed a lot more interesting than just having random Outcastes, as besides the family angle, it provided the Dragonblood with a place in the (local) setting and institutions, which I think is something that'd crop up a lot when you have mighty heroes who live for 300 years and in that time might well produce an heir with similar powers (and 30-odd kids without the powers, but who cares about them).

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

This week was unfortunate, but it redeemed itself a bit with the fact that, against all probability, I actually moved up on the waiting list for a Nintendo Switch and was able to get one today, rather than a few weeks from now, despite having only placed an order the day before it was released.

Anyway:
                    Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz
                    For example, perhaps a royal family with 1 Dragonblood every generation or two, or a Dragonblooded hero with 20 grandkids, one of whom is also a Dragonblood and is learning kung-fu from his grandpa.
                    ​It's interesting how differences in terminology work out. What you're describing there is about the kind of thing I would expect and depict as well, and would not describe as being a Dragon Blooded family in most circumstances.

​In the Realm they get called minor Houses, but they have the benefit of existing in the margins of families that more consistently produce Exalted.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                      Indeed. This is an excellent way to arrange for an outcaste to have a mentor.* Of course, the imagery may suffer a bit when you recall that grandpa likely still looks to be in his twenties. However that's the very thing that forges closer ties among the few family members that do exalt.

(* Heck, or for a solar too. "She takes after her grandma so much, so what if she's glowing gold? Sigh.")

Also, I like to have bits and bobs from the Shogunate (because I always feel that, considering that it precedes the Second Age, the Shogunate is often overlooked by the fluff), so I've thrown in the occasional royal family that is descended from a Shogunate Daimyo, and has a few Dragonblood.
                      Definitely overlooked.

Another group I had was 4 similar countries each ruled by a Dragonblood King+Queen. Except actually most of the monarchs were only Dragonblood according to legal fiction; there was a total of one Dragonblood queen, one Dragonblood uncle-of-the-king, one elemental-blood-pretending-to-be-Dragonblood, and one undersea mutant pretending to be a Water aspect.
                      Hey. Sounds fun. I can see plenty of potential plot hooks forming.

It seemed a lot more interesting than just having random Outcastes, as besides the family angle, it provided the Dragonblood with a place in the (local) setting and institutions, which I think is something that'd crop up a lot when you have mighty heroes who live for 300 years and in that time might well produce an heir with similar powers (and 30-odd kids without the powers, but who cares about them).
                      Well, they are still family, but there will be some distancing as they get older and you don't.
                      Last edited by Greyman; 03-04-2017, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                        and the Bull of the North has got people hunting down and murdering Outcaste children like he's fucking Hitler.
                        Where was this part? I don't remember writing it, and I can't find anything in a search of my original draft.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                          Where was this part? I don't remember writing it, and I can't find anything in a search of my original draft.
                          Your original draft of Manual of Exalted Power: Dragon Blooded? I didn't know you worked on that book.

It's on page 61, btw, "The icewalkers allied under Yurgen Kaneko, the Solar Exalted known as the Bull of the North, allow Terrestrials born of their tribes to remain as part of the growing warband. Those born in the small villages that dot his lands, however, are slain whenever the Bull's patrols discover them. As such, when Northern villagers in the Bull's path discover that one of their own has taken the Second Breath, that one is quickly sent into exile..." it goes on to describe where they're sent yadda yadda.

Comment

• Eh not really hunting down and murdering children then. I mean still not exactly a good thing, but from how Lioness phrased it I thought it was something like "That one flared. Slaughter their family, every DB in the north dies."

Which I also just couldn't get as I couldn't imagine someone turning down DBs as soldiers unless you suspected them of being infiltrators or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetstream View Post
                              Your original draft of Manual of Exalted Power: Dragon Blooded? I didn't know you worked on that book.
                              Ah. I wrote the section on the Bull of the North for Compass of Terrestrial Directions: the North. I blanked out for a moment on the fact that of course the Bull was referenced at earlier points in the second edition line,

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                                Eh not really hunting down and murdering children then. I mean still not exactly a good thing, but from how Lioness phrased it I thought it was something like "That one flared. Slaughter their family, every DB in the north dies."
                                To be fair, that's exactly what Dragon Blooded tend to say about Solars. Heck, the Wyld Hunt is even known to hurt, attack or hold a Solar's family as hostages in order to lure them out to be killed.

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                                Which I also just couldn't get as I couldn't imagine someone turning down DBs as soldiers unless you suspected them of being infiltrators or something.
                                I can see it. At least as per 2nd edition, Yurgen Exalted before the Jade Prison broke. His Exaltation is one of the others that spent the last 1000+ years constantly being born and then quickly murdered by Dragon Blooded. Considering he probably has plenty of memories from his dozens of incarnations being killed over and over by Terrestrials, I never found it terribly surprising that he felt like returning the favor. Most Dragon Blooded give no quarter to Solars, so some Solars will give no quarter to Dragon Blooded.

In a way the Solar/Dragon Blooded feud is a millennia old vendetta and those are almost always pretty brutal.
                                Last edited by AnubisXy; 03-05-2017, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X