No announcement yet.

Ysyr and the Dragon Blooded

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found it odd because in 1st ed he had a number of Outcaste lieutenants (including one who went into self-imposed exile when he realised the Bull wasn't really fighting to protect the North, but just for his own ambitions). Some of them used warstriders against the Realm.

But then, I suppose that paragraph did say that they do allow Icewalker Outcastes, but not ones from the areas they've conquered. Which I guess is because he worries they'll grow up to fight for the freedom of their people.

So, it's not so much a Solar vs Dragonblooded grudge, as wanting to keep the Icewalkers strong and the conquered areas thoroughly weak.

Despite his few memories of fighting DBs, I think his 70 years of being an Icewalker is much more significant to him.
    Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 03-05-2017, 05:11 AM.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Also, the weight of the memories of his incarnations wouldn't necessarily give him this raging hate-on for DBs more than anyone else, seeing how Lytek is, y'know, doing his job and all. The Solars who've been reincarnating for the last thousand years aren't particularly likely to have more memories of past lives than any other Solar.

Comment

• This really goes back to the problem I was talking about of Outcastes being talked about like they're common.

I'll quote the full text.
        Originally posted by MoEP: Dragon-Blooded
        The icewalkers allied under Yurgen Kaneko, the Solar Exalt known as the Bull of the North, allow Terrestrials born of their tribes to remain as part of the growing warband. Those born in the small villages that dot his lands, however, are slain whenever the Bull’s patrols discover them. As such, when Northern villagers in the Bull’s path discover that one of their own has taken the Second Breath, that one is quickly sent into exile. The child is fostered with a relative in a far-away village not yet under the Bull’s sway if possible, or sent south to Cherak or some other coastal city. Many never make it to their final destination, as travel in the North is dangerous even for armed bands, let alone an untrained child traveling alone or with strangers. Those who do make it to the southern colonies are welcomed with offers of training and education, as few in those hard cities can afford to do without every asset they can acquire.
        How many newly exalted Dragon-Blooded are these patrols encountering that words like "many" are being invoked?

It feels like this could be a compelling backstory for a northern Outcaste trying to muster support to fight the Icewalkers but talking about it in such general terms looks like a refugee crisis and gives the Bull a very hard-line stance on Dragon-Blooded that could have a significant impact on how PCs perceive him and his goals that's news to the person who wrote his section in Compass North.

The Outcaste demographics often paint very different pictures of societies to other sources.
        Last edited by Lioness; 03-05-2017, 09:48 AM.

Onyx Path Forums Moderator

Comment

• This thread made me take another hard look at the map, as I too was originally perplexed by some of the flourishes, and I noticed something.

Some of the circled areas have a little line coming off of them with some small text, which I believe is supposed to represent that they are magnified, and by how much, but only with in-setting squiggles.

The other circles seem to represent either emphasis, or sphere of influence. The Scavenger Lands has a circle, there's a sublte one around the Blessed Isle and Threshold, etc.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lioness View Post
            It feels like this could be a compelling backstory for a northern Outcaste trying to muster support to fight the Icewalkers but talking about it in such general terms looks like a refugee crisis and gives the Bull a very hard-line stance on Dragon-Blooded that could have a significant impact on how PCs perceive him and his goals that's news to the person who wrote his section in Compass North.
            Yes, it's important to remember that he's not just a narrative figure but someone the PCs are going to interact with and someone wanting to turn the tables on the Dragon-Blooded and make them the hunted ones isn't just a failure to turn the other cheek and be a bigger person but the nature of Terrestrial Exaltation gives it this added element of ethnic cleansing.

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
            Eh not really hunting down and murdering children then. I mean still not exactly a good thing, but from how Lioness phrased it I thought it was something like "That one flared. Slaughter their family, every DB in the north dies."
            It might not be much better. The way the villagers are approaching this problem suggests they are much more scared of what the Bull of the North might do if his patrols find a Dragon-Blooded than they are concerned for the individual in question's safety unless all notion of common sense has gone out the window.

Comment

• Do not forget the prefacing paragraph. It is not just Icewalker tribes under the influence of Yurgen.
              Originally posted by The Dragonblooded
              Terrestrial children of the icewalker tribes face a difficult choice, and one not their own. Their fate is left in the hands of the animal master that watches over their tribe. They may stay if the animal master allows, and those who do stay tend to become great hunters, champions or even leaders of their tribes. If the animal master exiles them from the tribe, the young Dragon-Blooded must flee, often with little more than the clothing on their backs, or face their own families and friends in combat.
              Note: Animal Masters are totemic gods of mammoth, reindeer, whales, penguins, and other beasts of importance to life in the North that have cults of devotees among the Icewalker tribes.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
                Some of the circled areas have a little line coming off of them with some small text, which I believe is supposed to represent that they are magnified, and by how much, but only with in-setting squiggles.
                Except that one of those surrounds the Skullstone Archipelago, and it has two lines leading to dots coming off of it. Also most of the others only surrounds the city icon, so what exactly is being magnified?

​I've come to suspect that they are all sphere of influence markers, some with in-setting warning notes attached.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                  Do not forget the prefacing paragraph. It is not just Icewalker tribes under the influence of Yurgen.
                  I'm not forgetting it but the people in the villages aren't Icewalkers and the Animal Masters with a policy of exiling Dragon-Blooded from their tribes aren't highly successful expansionist warlords that my PC might feel a sense of comradery to.

Comment

Working...
                  X