How often do solars see the sun?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CapitanTypo
    started a topic How often do solars see the sun?

How often do solars see the sun?

Zenith caste are meant to be the Unconquered Suns messengers in creation, but all solars have some relationship with him.

The question is, in game, how often do your solars have contact from the sun? Visions, dreams portents? Direct visitations?

I'd like to hear how you incorporate the Unconquered Sun into your characters lives.

• Lundgren
    replied
    The current game, that's just two sessions in, and it is quite a sandboxy game (2.5-ish), so I don't have a clue in which direction it will go. It might be everywhere from they have UCS as a main focus and meeting him a lot, to never.

The Zenith got a "Go and rule in my name" message (and that is not a shortened version) from a vision of a four armed dude. The Night caste, a diplomat from the south, exalted while being part of the resistance at Thorns; the character though they had done something to him and that he was turning into a death knight. A Raksha later referred to them as "children of the sun" when they had lit up their caste marks with the hope it would keep them from becoming dinner.

In any case, unless they go to the pleasure dome, the odds are they won't interact with UCS at all.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    It's fine saying "he's a regal and majestic king"... but what does he do when PCs make rude hand gestures at him and call him various profanities?
    ‚ÄčI'm picturing it as varying depending on his mood, ranging from a kind of wry amusement such as certain adults might take to getting such treatment by a toddler, to a stern disappointment in which he has his attendant remove you from his presence (and if you raise your hand against them, you're getting the butt of the Godspear to the face). Either way, you're going home to find that white mice have despoiled your crops and/or your house.

Leave a comment:

• hachiman
    replied
    I love the Glories depiction of the UCS and had him pitch up fairly regularly in my longest running game. I ran him as if he was a kind of Superman, but with his hands tied by the Creation Ruling Mandate. He had sworn never to act in Creation again because the Solars were there and when they went bad he gave up on the whole thing.

With my players as heroic and noble heroes he slowly developed an interest in them and a hope they could redeem the Solar in his eyes and save Creation. I was building up to Little Beam eventually replacing his father after the UCS died in battle but never got there sadly. My players got to the point where they were wielding the Aiden Weis, and wearing the Crown of Thunders, the Dawn and Zenith respectively, and were the lead Solar Circle in Creation and the Sun's personal Champions.

It was glorious and wonderful, and Glories of the Most High remains my favourite Exalted product ever.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    I honestly had that problem too (with all the Incarnae, honestly). It's fine saying "he's a regal and majestic king"... but what does he do when PCs make rude hand gestures at him and call him various profanities?
    Well, when the Israelites complained about how sick they were of manna and how they just wanted some meat for a change, God decided to make it rain (presumably tainted) quails a yard deep, over an area of sixteen thousand square miles.* So many Israelites died of sickness that the place was named "Kibroth Hattaavah," or "Graves of Craving."

Point is, don't insult your god.

(Source: Numbers, Chapter 11.)

Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 02-24-2017, 12:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by Morangias View Post
    I never ran a Solars game in 2e, but the PCs in my Sidereals game have met with the UCS once or twice. I tried my best to dissuade them from doing so more often, as I don't have a clue how to roleplay him.
    I honestly had that problem too (with all the Incarnae, honestly). It's fine saying "he's a regal and majestic king"... but what does he do when PCs make rude hand gestures at him and call him various profanities?

Leave a comment:

• BjornTheFellhanded
    replied
    In our current Abyssal's modern game, we occasionally call/pray to him. A few because they're hoping for guidance on redemption, one wanted to negotiate a removal of the creature of darkness status (we are on mission to save the world from a race between Oblivion and a combined freed of malfeus demon host and fairfolk onslaught. It's a long story).
    So far none of us have redeemed or been absolved from being creatures of darkness. This has frustrated some; the calls to Ol' Sunny aren't always pleasant or all that polite anymore.

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    Originally posted by Brasstreader View Post

It's not about the abs. It's the ribs that motivate my players.
    Because they're Infernals/Abyssals, and one of them has a habit of cannibalizing gods. Or is it just eating them? Is it cannibalizing if it's sentient, or does it specifically have to be humans?

Anyway, Sol Invictus tends to only show up directly if you're a Zenith in most of the games I've played. One non-Solar, however, wanted to have his One Unique Thing be that the Sun shows up in dreams like Leave It To Beaver, the omniscient Moral Dad in Armchair.
    Cannibalism technically requires them to be of the same species as one's self. However, since gods are apparently capable of breeding with humans and producing offspring that can also reproduce then they do get a bit muddy on whether or not they're in a close enough category for real world species classification.

Personally I figure the obvious is Zeniths are guaranteed the one when they exalt. Everyone else might, but aren't guaranteed it. After that it's whether or not you can appeal to him strongly enough to get him to show up with prayers and ritual, or if a situation comes up that Sol decides needs him to get involved and it would best involve him interceding by talking to one of his chosen.

Leave a comment:

• Brasstreader
    replied
    Originally posted by Eura View Post
    When solars look up to the sun all they see is a half-naked oiled up Sol Invictus flexing at them. This inspires them to be as awesome as the unconquered Sun's abs.
    It's not about the abs. It's the ribs that motivate my players.
    Because they're Infernals/Abyssals, and one of them has a habit of cannibalizing gods. Or is it just eating them? Is it cannibalizing if it's sentient, or does it specifically have to be humans?

Anyway, Sol Invictus tends to only show up directly if you're a Zenith in most of the games I've played. One non-Solar, however, wanted to have his One Unique Thing be that the Sun shows up in dreams like Leave It To Beaver, the omniscient Moral Dad in Armchair.

Leave a comment:

• Elkovash
    replied
    The closest my players have gotten to interacting directly with the UCS was in an alterna-verse super powered high school session (part of a vision quest) when he descended from the sky swathed in light during a faculty dispute singing "By the power invested in me by these golden quad guns..."

Otherwise I have prepared material for him focusing on his role as an Incarne of Excellence rather than a god of Good, there is a certain expectation of living up to one's potential especially when they have been given all the tools they need (eg, exaltation).

Leave a comment:

• Morangias
    replied
    I never ran a Solars game in 2e, but the PCs in my Sidereals game have met with the UCS once or twice. I tried my best to dissuade them from doing so more often, as I don't have a clue how to roleplay him.

Leave a comment:

• blackwingedheaven
    replied
    Originally posted by CapitanTypo View Post
    Zenith caste are meant to be the Unconquered Suns messengers in creation, but all solars have some relationship with him.

The question is, in game, how often do your solars have contact from the sun? Visions, dreams portents? Direct visitations?

I'd like to hear how you incorporate the Unconquered Sun into your characters lives.

In my last campaign, the party went to Yu-Shan to have their leader face charges and defend himself in court. While they were in the city, they decided to seek out the Unconquered Sun and visit him personally. They got a fantastic scene meeting their god, but that was his only appearance in the entire campaign, which ran three years. The current game I'm running will likely have a similar number of appearances. XD

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    My players met the UCS briefly, I think about 2-3 years after we started playing. The players went to Yu-Shan for the Calibration festival, and Lyta turned up with her circle to tell everyone how she'd killed Chejop Kejak in the UCS's name.
    So he appointed the PCs, as the only other Solars there, to judge Lyta and her circle. They had her executed, two of her circle imprisoned I think, and the other two task-bound to serve Heaven.

It's probably good that the Incarnae-hating Full Moon wasn't there that session, or things could have gone very differently!

Now, however (or rather, when I stopped running 3rd ed, since they were well beyond Essence 5) the UCS hasn't been seen even in Heaven for years, not even in effigy above the Dome.

Because... well, there's a plot reason (though it was part of a plot they didn't investigate, which is fine), but honestly I find the UCS kind of dull. If I were to run Exalted again from 0xp, standard starting date, I'd just completely ignore him.
    Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 02-23-2017, 02:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eura
    replied
    When solars look up to the sun all they see is a half-naked oiled up Sol Invictus flexing at them. This inspires them to be as awesome as the unconquered Sun's abs.

Leave a comment:

• Ferryman
    replied
    Why, almost every day. They just look up. *rimshot*

Okay, seriously this time. Characters in my games typically have nearly zero contact with UCS. This doesn't have to be due to crippling addiction to the GoD, but is a simple consequence of the immense remove at which he operates from the concerns of the individual mortals among which the PCs typically act. In my games, the Unconquered Sun treats mortals given Solar Exaltation kind of like self-guided awesome bombs - when he sees part of the world that richly deserves his attention, he reaches down and unleashes a Solar upon it. Then he pats himself on the back and congratulates himself for the incredible degree of personal involvement he has in the world, and turns back to other matters. He doesn't remain individually involved in directing their actions or values, because he took care in selecting people who didn't need that kind of hand-holding in the first place. The UCS trusts that his Chosen few have both the will to act and the judgment to do so well, because he chooses people who already meet those criteria. Then he gives them the power to do so and boom - Solar.

Or, to put it another way:

Mortals: "Oh great Sun, please turn your face upon us again!"
    UCS: "Okay." *Exalts a Solar* "Handled. Damn, I'm good!"
    Newly-Exalted Solar: "Fuck yeah, this is sweet! Uh...so, what am I supposed to do again?"
    UCS: "Hey man, you got this. That's why I chose you and not some other chump. Am I right?"
    NES: "You know what? Yeah."
    UCS: "Cool. Peace out."
    Mortals: "...that's it?"
    UCS: "It's more than you needed."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X