Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you defeat/bypass a Scarab Guardian?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you defeat/bypass a Scarab Guardian?

At the end of my last session, in a state of desperation, my PCs handed a demonic artifact over to a Scarab Guardian before calibration.

I strongly suspect they're about to try and get it back.

Other than overwhelming direct combat, how could the characters get their artifact back form the spirit?

Visit me at Shades of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Grab a dozen or so people you really don't like, and send them in to the Scarab Guardian's territory. While it's busy chasing them down and eating them, you just waltz in and take the artifact back.

Comment

So I googled scarab guardian, just to get an idea of what's what, and I noticed you asked a very similar question last year, CapitanTypo?

The obvious alternatives to fighting are stealth and negotiation. As I was unable to find which book scarab guardians are in, I don't know what a scarab guardian has to oppose such attempts.

I thank the Devs for the great game of Exalted!

Comment

Originally posted by BjornTheFellhanded View Post
        So I googled scarab guardian, just to get an idea of what's what, and I noticed you asked a very similar question last year, CapitanTypo?

The obvious alternatives to fighting are stealth and negotiation. As I was unable to find which book scarab guardians are in, I don't know what a scarab guardian has to oppose such attempts.
        Did I? Well... that's not a great sign for my memory, is it? Nor the pacing of my games!

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

Lol here you go: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...carab-guardian
          You even got the same poster giving the first response.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
            Grab a dozen or so people you really don't like, and send them in to the Scarab Guardian's territory. While it's busy chasing them down and eating them, you just waltz in and take the artifact back.
            But that doesn't help with the Scarab Guardian pursuing you to get it back once those people have been eaten.

Comment

Originally posted by BjornTheFellhanded View Post
              Lol here you go: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...carab-guardian
              You even got the same poster giving the first response.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by CapitanTypo View Post
                But that doesn't help with the Scarab Guardian pursuing you to get it back once those people have been eaten.
                How's it gonna find you?

Comment

Did I? Well... that's not a great sign for my memory, is it? Nor the pacing of my games!
                  Maybe you just really like Scarab Guardians.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                    How's it gonna find you?

From BoS IV:

"Even those robbers heartless enough to pull off such a maneuver are not safe once they possess the spoils of their betrayal— scarab guardians will pursue the robbers, a whirling and swift moving wave of shiny, black-carapaced beetles as large as a woman’s hand, capable of traveling faster than any mortal runner."

They have Survival 5, so are presumably decent trackers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bladewind View Post
                      Maybe you just really like Scarab Guardians.

After looking back at the other thread - it's also possible I just didn't get any suggestions I liked.

Comment

"Even those robbers heartless enough to pull off such a maneuver are not safe once they possess the spoils of their betrayal— scarab guardians will pursue the robbers, a whirling and swift moving wave of shiny, black-carapaced beetles as large as a woman’s hand, capable of traveling faster than any mortal runner."

Which is why the folks last time back advocated you not even enter the tomb, as opposed to sending in consecutive waves of schmucks.

That said, the Stealth suite and Survival Charm to boost your efforts to not be tracked is recommended. Or, failing that, "move-fast" Athletics Charms, or fast-travel sorcery; it doesn't matter if the Scarab Guardian has a better nose than a bloodhound if you fly a thousand miles away from it in the span of a day.
                        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 02-24-2017, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                          Which is why the folks last time back advocated you not even enter the tomb, as opposed to sending in consecutive waves of schmucks.

That said, the Stealth suite and Survival Charm to boost your efforts to not be tracked is recommended. Or, failing that, "move-fast" Athletics Charms, or fast-travel sorcery; it doesn't matter if the Scarab Guardian has a better nose than a bloodhound if you fly a thousand miles away from it in the span of a day.
                          True, but in the case of my game, the scarab guards a vault within the manse that the PCs have taken as their primary residence ;-)

Comment

Can Scarab Guardians swim? Most beetles can't. If they can't, you could build a moat around the vault?

Comment

From BoS IV:

Maybe create a sealable space like a big box (or general stone room), first steal a treasure you don't care about and toss it on in there (maybe attached to the schmuck you convinced to grab it for you) and when they swarm, close it up. Hopefully the room you've made can hold immaterial beings, so probably work on that first, but they don't have hurry home or anything like that so no auto teleporting to their domain.

My Homebrew: Architect of the Regal Puppet Style (WIP) || Monkey Style (obsolete) || Radiant Halo of Incanescent Might || Pale Driver, Ruination of the Edifice of Tyranny || Sublime Percussion, Just a Whole lot of Fun || Idris, The Graceful Heart of Purpose

Comment

Working...
                              X