Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you defeat/bypass a Scarab Guardian?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elkovash View Post

Maybe create a sealable space like a big box (or general stone room), first steal a treasure you don't care about and toss it on in there (maybe attached to the schmuck you convinced to grab it for you) and when they swarm, close it up. Hopefully the room you've made can hold immaterial beings, so probably work on that first, but they don't have hurry home or anything like that so no auto teleporting to their domain.

The vault the guardian, well, guards, is indeed sealable, and it would render the vault unusable for future needs - which I kind of like the idea of. Further down the line I like the idea of the characters having to petition heaven to have the guardian reassigned.

Visit me at Tales of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

Do they have tracking charms? Because if they don't, then they can only track through the normal survival rolls.

When one is accustomed to privilege, equality seems like oppression.

Comment

Have the Dawn distract the Scarab Guardian. She can challenge its ability to protect such a dangerous artifact, and demand to spar.

Have the Zenith persuade the Scarab Guardian to meet this challenge on neutral territory, far enough from the artifact for what follows.

Have the Twilight craft a cunning forgery, something to leave in the original artifact's place.

Have the Night caste sneak into the sanctuary and swap the artifacts out.

Have the Eclipse caste conclude the business with the Scarab Guardian with a poisoned oath, promising that they will entrust what is in its sanctuary to its care on the promise that it neither abandons the item within nor allows it to come to harm.

If it ever discovers the deception, shatter the false artifact and thereby its oath, inflicting the curse of heaven on their would-be pursuer.

Disclaimer: I don't actually remember what a Scarab Guardian is or does, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by TidyGamer View Post
          Do they have tracking charms? Because if they don't, then they can only track through the normal survival rolls.
          Only Sense Domain - so once you're out of their territory you've got a good chance of escape. As I said above, however, in my game, the guardian guards a vault in the base of the manse the PCs reside in.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

Well, their Domain would probably only encompass the vault in question. Get out of the vault and you're safe from them using magic to track you down. Go in with a dang good disguise of some of your enemies, and once you're outside it's domain it's going to be looking for Them instead of you with it's mundane skill.

When one is accustomed to privilege, equality seems like oppression.

Comment

Could you declare the building of the scarab guardian to be your prison? Then you just need to attract a jailor spirit and ensure they understand not to let anyone leave you do not pardon...such as the scarab spirit?

I thank the Devs for the great game of Exalted!

Comment

Originally posted by BjornTheFellhanded View Post
                Could you declare the building of the scarab guardian to be your prison? Then you just need to attract a jailor spirit and ensure they understand not to let anyone leave you do not pardon...such as the scarab spirit?

Oh, I like this. I like this a lot. Can you imagine the bizarre supernatural matryoshka doll that would result of a Circle of Solars repeatedly using tricks like this? You could build an entire forbidden fortress of guardians guarding guardians imprisoning guardians imprisoning prisoners whose only crime was being the centerpoint of endless Solar backsies.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketrus View Post
                  Oh, I like this. I like this a lot. Can you imagine the bizarre supernatural matryoshka doll that would result of a Circle of Solars repeatedly using tricks like this? You could build an entire forbidden fortress of guardians guarding guardians imprisoning guardians imprisoning prisoners whose only crime was being the centerpoint of endless Solar backsies.
                  And they wonder why the Sidereals got sick of cleaning up the Solars' messes...

I thank the Devs for the great game of Exalted!

Comment

On this topic, has anyone done the work of converting the Scarab Guardian to 3rd Edition to save me the effort, or will I need to figure this one out myself?

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyBloke View Post
                      On this topic, has anyone done the work of converting the Scarab Guardian to 3rd Edition to save me the effort, or will I need to figure this one out myself?
                      I could take a crack at it.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post

I could take a crack at it.
                        I'd be much obliged, it wouldn't be the first thing you've converted that I've used, it's very much appreciated.

Comment

Story update:

As the PCs wanted to reclaim an item from the vault in order to use it to track down and reclaim other items that had been previously stolen, they sent in the Eclipse to negotiate - with a massive 12 successes he was able to convince the guardian to give them temporary loan of the item for 1 week - but the Scarab insisted that a) the deal be bound by the Eclipse caste and that b) they gave over 1 living person as collateral.

This provided a nice story hook and a good section of the session was spent debating the morality of bribing/cajoling/forcing some of the servants in their Manse to fulfill this role. In the end, an NPC who is effectively the head of their house staff volunteered on the basis that all the serving staff were given freedom and wealth enough to live a comfortable life.

(At no point did the PCs discuss strategies for how to achieve their task without the artifact form the vault - which would have been doable, but would have placed them in danger).

Comment

Working...
                          X