Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorcerous Workings on Yourself? For superpowers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morangias View Post
    I think the expansion is very well considered. Why wouldn't a militant theocracy have a convenient blanket term that can turn any enemy into a target for the holy war?
    Not to mention that anathema is a term completely based in a piece of fabricated theologic propaganda whose whole point is not recognizing those defined by the term as Exalted and technically spiritual equals (or betters, some might say) of the Dragon-blooded. "Exalted" does not figure in any way in the term's definition by whatever form of immaculate dogma and never should, for exactly the reasons the term even exists. Academical or precise in any form are things the word most certainly is not supposed to be.

That said, "spirits" was - and most probably still is - the blanket term most frenquently used when it comes to ghosts, elementals, demons, deities (rogue or not) and possibly other equally ephemeral beings like the Fae, though some groups among either mortals, fae and spirits in general might possibly see it as ignorant or even take offense at such conflation, i would guess.
    Last edited by Baaldam; 03-08-2017, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Morangias View Post
      I think the expansion is very well considered. Why wouldn't a militant theocracy have a convenient blanket term that can turn any enemy into a target for the holy war?
      They do. As I said before, I would suggest the distinction is academic to most that do not make a study of the Anathema. An Anathema is a being that has stepped outside of the karmic order by soliciting power not meant for them; the beings who provide that power are not themselves Anathema, but again are identical in terms of the approach or attitude an Immaculate might have with them.

I have no issue with this since my studies of religion indicate that people in these situations love filling libraries up with intensely complicated technical information and that they love to dedicate complex educational procedures to explain this technical information to other religious people. Just because the 'technical' definition is precise, however, doesn't mean that layman have any need or desire to make use of it.

Comment

As an aside, how much have people tinkered with spell evocations as a road of power? Yes, i know that so far we only have two canon examples - Wood Dragon's Claws & Incomparable Body Arsenal (i keep forgetting Invulnerable Skin of Bronze does not get that benefit) - of this kind of benefit for a control spell but thought it was worth bringing up.

Also, sidetracking a little of the subject but not by much, has anyone toyed with another extreme of the issue - a control spell that through the sorcerer's extensive exploration of evocations develops a sort of personality/spirit that outlives the user/caster as a sorcerous artifact of its own? It's a little idea i have munched on from time to time of late.

Comment

Working...
        X