[What if] the Solar shards escaped on their own

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [What if] the Solar shards escaped on their own

What if the Deathlords' exalts are the Liminals, the Solars escaped the prison and the Yozi have to use Exigence to make their Infernals? What would be the major impacts to the setting as written?

I express my opinions, but YSMV; Your Stories May Vary.

Formerly known as wyrmpuff

Well, there's no Abyssals.
    Other than that, I actually don't think it really makes much difference.

I play...
    Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
    Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal'akh View Post
      What if the Deathlords' exalts are the Liminals, the Solars escaped the prison and the Yozi have to use Exigence to make their Infernals? What would be the major impacts to the setting as written?
      Aside from cutting Abyssals and GSPs, and changing the roles of Liminals and Exigents entirely, the only other difference of note is that there's more Solars.

Comment

Implications mostly.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Liminals are a bit "weaker" than Abyssals and otherwise not really so suited to purpose of the Deathlords. Compared to the Abyssals, their power doesn't seem to be as broad based and rooted in the terrifying aspects of death, as in death's sad, strange aspects and in living unlife (literally the liminal zone between life and death). Functionally the hints are it seems they are a bit optimized for fighting and banishing creatures of death and unlife, not things of Creation. If you wanted them to be able to fill the Abyssals' role of fighting Solars one-on-one as equals, then you would probably need to buff and alter whatever their mechanics are quite a bit.

One thing I do think might be cool would be to say that while there are no Abyssals, you then take there as being hundreds of Deathlords - empowered ghosts who can fight Exalted on an equal level - instead, of varying and developing power, and only a few elders. They'd fill the Abyssal niche. That's sort of following a hint from early Exalted material that was rolled back from to the around thirteen.

Likewise, if you're removing Infernals you might also expand the narrative role and limits of demons. Maybe demons with more agency in Creation and capacity for growth. Perhaps even newcomers who don't fit entirely within the Circle system, beginning weaker than a Second Circle, with capability to grow akin in many ways to a Third.

You could have these be the fallen and defeated Primordials' experiments to try and challenge the Exalted, rather than Exalted of their own.

Although if you do want to use Exalted for the Yozis (and Neverborn), while I also don't think the fire of Exigence is necessarily a good in setting device to use for Infernal Exaltations, taking how it works and saying the Yozis have made their own is certainly doable. Indeed IRC the 3e canon hints that the Yozis have tried their luck at Exalted who were not altered Solars.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal'akh View Post
            Assuming you make no other alterations, here is what I see:
            (I'm not even considering the Getimians and the Lunar foils in this, because we know so little about them, and it may be 2030 before we do.)

Malfeas and the Underworld recede somewhat as immediate threats. They don't disappear, but overall people are more focused on the Anathema problem. Also, there is more attention given to the Fae. I'll note this is going to do primarily with player perception. Liminals just aren't as terrifying as Deathknights, so unless you give every Deathlord a hundred Liminals, they just won't be as prominent.

Since you double the number of Solars, that's going to make the Wyld Hunt more overwhelmed. Deathknights can be held in reserve by Deathlords; Solars just Exalt where ever and whenever. This will either cause the Realm to consolidate more quickly (as it sees a greater threat), or to degrade more quickly (as it spends more resources in the Threshold, triggering more conflict among the Houses).

Overall, I think the game becomes more about the struggle between the "core" Celestials and the Terrestrials. Solars are going to run into Lunars and each other more often, and eventually their interests will collide. Sidereals will be worrying less about Malfeas and the Underworld, so they have more time to meddle and manipulate.

The game will come to feel more about geopolitics, conquest, and intrigue, and less about Saving the World from Evil(tm).
            Last edited by Totentanz; 02-27-2017, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X