Who set the Solars free?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who set the Solars free?

I'm sure it says somewhere in the book who broke the Jade Prison and freed the Solars, but for the life of me I can't find it. So, as the title reads, who freed the Solars and why?

I did, it was a busy week.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

It was the Deathlords. They were trying to capture them all for Project: Abyssal but only managed to get about half of them.

Comment

In 1st and 2nd edition, it was the Deathlords. With assistance from the Yozi, they built a gigantic undead behemoth/hekatonkhire and shattered the Jade Prison. It was supposed to capture all of the Solar Exaltations, but only managed to capture half of them. Then the Deathlords gave 50 Exaltations to the Yozi in exchange for the assistance.

However, that was only true of the older editions. While it's likely that 3rd edition will stick to this, it's possible that there will be some divergences as well, so feel free to use it, or not, for your own games.

Comment

Originally posted by shadryx View Post
          I'm sure it says somewhere in the book who broke the Jade Prison and freed the Solars, but for the life of me I can't find it. So, as the title reads, who freed the Solars and why?
          I don't know if it's exactly the same as it was in the first two editions, but here goes:

The Deathlords and the Yozis struck a deal: The Deathlords, who weren't utterly barred from Creation, would break open the Jade Prison and capture the Solar Exaltations. In exchange for part of the haul, the Yozis would teach the Deathlords how to contain and alter the Exaltations.

That's how we got Abyssals and Infernals, too.

Fortunately for everyone who wasn't involved, the giant necro-beast the Deathlords created and sent after the Jade Prison didn't work entirely as intended: the monster was able to break it open, but a goodly number of the Solar Exaltations escaped.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
            In 1st and 2nd edition, it was the Deathlords. With assistance from the Yozi, they built a gigantic undead behemoth/hekatonkhire and shattered the Jade Prison. It was supposed to capture all of the Solar Exaltations, but only managed to capture half of them. Then the Deathlords gave 50 Exaltations to the Yozi in exchange for the assistance.

However, that was only true of the older editions. While it's likely that 3rd edition will stick to this, it's possible that there will be some divergences as well, so feel free to use it, or not, for your own games.
            This is the most true statement on here, with the possible exception of the Yozi gaining 50 of them in 1e. Not sure on that one, since Infernals never got their own splat in 1e.

Otherwise, all true, especially what was said for 3e.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
            I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by shadryx
              I'm sure it says somewhere in the book who broke the Jade Prison and freed the Solars, but for the life of me I can't find it.
              It is not mentioned in the Third Edition core.

While it's likely that 3rd edition will stick to this
              ​{intended with tone of genuine curiosity rather than confrontation} Why do you think that is?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

What did the Jadeprison look like?

What did the exaltations look live?
                (When they still were in the Jadeprison)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

​{intended with tone of genuine curiosity rather than confrontation} Why do you think that is?
                  Unless the origin of the Abyssals and Infernals is being changed drastically, keeping the same explanation is the easiest way to explain both their origins and why the solars are now out.

It's not impossible to change, but it could shake up the very nature of two splats.

I thank the Devs for the great game of Exalted!

Comment

From the Abyssal/Infernal Kickstarter previews -

Abyssal Kickstarter -
                    Further, it led many to believe it would be better to just erase the connection between Solars and Abyssals and start over.

However, I want to follow the intentions that went behind the making of the Abyssals and fully realize those intentions, making good on the unspoken promise of long ago. I want to give the players their dark Solars: glorious and deathly champions rocking Solar arete and wielding all the powers of the grave.

To do that, I need to preserve continuity between Abyssal and Solar Charms. Ergo, the Abyssals are built on a base of Charms identical to many in the Solar set. This establishes them as Solars. The harder part has always been establishing them as something else.

Infernal Kickstarter -
                    The Green Sun Princes are the sultans of Hell, devil rajahs uplifted by the Yozis and set loose upon Creation as a plague on the world. As they are uplifted using stolen, tainted Solar Exaltations, their Solar legacy weighs heavily on the Yozi agenda.
                    Morke rejected the idea of simply making Abyssals something else that had nothing to do with Solar Exalted. Instead, he felt that preserving them as "Corrupted Solars" was integral to their concept. So it seems to me that the Deathlords will still have ~100 corrupt Solar Exaltations in 3rd edition and certainly the Infernal kickstarter directly calls Infernal Exalted out as corrupted Solar Exaltations.

The authors could, of course, come up with an entirely different method by which the Jade Prison was broken, but they would still have to explain how the Deathlords and Yozi were able to capture escaping Solar Exaltations. Any such explanation would necessarily be fairly convoluted, and I'm not sure it would add anything of value to the game if the end result is still going to be about the same, with the Deathlords and Yozi getting access to Solar Exaltations.

They could also say Infernals and Abyssals have nothing to do with Solar Exaltations and are something new (everything in the previews was noted as being subject to change), but Morke felt fairly strongly about some of these design points so that seems ulikely.

In the end, "The Deathlords had something to do with the Jade Prison breaking and snagged some Exaltations in the process," is probably going to continue to be the explanation for Abyssals and Infernals, rather than the authors trying to come up with some convoluted explanation that ends up with everything basically in the same place it was in the earlier editions.

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post

This is the most true statement on here, with the possible exception of the Yozi gaining 50 of them in 1e. Not sure on that one, since Infernals never got their own splat in 1e.

Otherwise, all true, especially what was said for 3e.
                      The 50 were very much in first edition. They were going to be used for 'something', and it wasn't quite clear whether they would be Exalted themselves, or just a power source for something else.

*Grumbles about the fact 1st Ed. seems to be all but forgotten.*

Comment

Originally posted by Colapso View Post

The 50 were very much in first edition. They were going to be used for 'something', and it wasn't quite clear whether they would be Exalted themselves, or just a power source for something else.

*Grumbles about the fact 1st Ed. seems to be all but forgotten.*
                        Good to know! I played 1e, but I never owned any of the books so I was unfamiliar with some of the metaplot and such. Thanks for the clarification!

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                        I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

From the Abyssal/Infernal Kickstarter previews -
                          ​The Exaltations being stolen doesn't necessitate that the Deathlords were the ones responsible for the return of the Solars.

​My read on various details and the general tone of John is that the Solars return for... whatever reason (possibly by the will of the Unconquered Sun), and then the Deathlords and Yozis hitch their wagons to that.

Originally posted by AnubisXy
                          In the end, "The Deathlords had something to do with the Jade Prison breaking and snagged some Exaltations in the process," is probably going to continue to be the explanation for Abyssals and Infernals, rather than the authors trying to come up with some convoluted explanation that ends up with everything basically in the same place it was in the earlier editions.
                          ​At the moment, I think that the strongest possibility is that an explanation for the Abyssals and Infernals won't be given at all.

Sure, they'll probably still be described as stolen and repurposed Essences of the Solar Exalted. Just... no origin story. They exist without overt explanation.

​The corebook gets by without explaining how the Solars came back, so I think it's unnecessary to do something defining the transition into Abyssal and Infernal Exalted.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

​At the moment, I think that the strongest possibility is that an explanation for the Abyssals and Infernals won't be given at all.

Sure, they'll probably still be described as stolen and repurposed Essences of the Solar Exalted. Just... no origin story. They exist without overt explanation.

​The corebook gets by without explaining how the Solars came back, so I think it's unnecessary to do something defining the transition into Abyssal and Infernal Exalted.
                            At the least I believe that if we do get an explanation on how the Deathlords and Yozi managed to acquire so many Solar Exaltations, it'll be very close to the one we got back in 1st and 2nd edition, since any other explanation would simply end up being even more convoluted to no real gain.

Comment

At the least I believe that if we do get an explanation on how the Deathlords and Yozi managed to acquire so many Solar Exaltations, it'll be very close to the one we got back in 1st and 2nd edition, since any other explanation would simply end up being even more convoluted to no real gain.
                              Giant crab monster and all?

Comment

Working...
                              X