Halfway [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's go to the Crone's shrine.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

Also change, crones shrine. Damn creepy spirit type thing. Bet it has a windowless tear stained van.

Comment

You consider trying to speak with the monster, and decide to slink away. Keeping your eyes on the monster, you slowly started to walk back down the pathway you came. The Crones shrine was a few blocks away, but you’d have to go through the markets, which meant you’d travel slowly.

You were about halfway down the length of your shop when the monster rumbled. “Sneaking away are we? Run then. I love the chase.” The monster stepped into the alley, and you lost your nerve. You bolted, feet pounding on the cobblestone. “Run! RUN! Pump those little legs. I’ll give you to the count of 10 as a head start!” Did he know you were short, or was that a guess? Could he hear you?

You sprinted into the market but didn’t hear the monster count. The crowd made movement almost impossible. If you started to push your way through, the monster would see the crowd getting pushed. Your mind raced…..

The access corridor behind the stalls. People weren’t allowed back there, but you had no other viable option. Ran up to a merchant’s stand, and started to duck under his stall. He shouted at you, but you ignored him. He grabbed for your clothes and you gave him a shove and slipped past him. As you raced down the corridor, people looked at you. Several of the merchants shouted, and then the monster walked into the market.

The crowd perfectly parted around him as he walked. Nobody seemed to notice him at all. The monster looked into the crowd, expecting to see people getting shoved out of the way. “Where did you go, little one?” He scanned and you ran. Finally, you reached the end of the access corridor and had to merge back into the market foot traffic. The monster spotted the shopkeepers yelling at you.

“Oh so clever.” The monster strode through the market, easily gaining on you. You ducked down a not crowded alley, your heart pounding. Only 1 more block to go! You turned and saw the monster hot on your heels. It didn’t even run to gain on you, people just got out of it’s way. The monster was no more than 50 yards behind you. Turning back to running, before you stood a massive wall of people.

Your heart thumped and you saw the answer. You’d never got through the throng, but there were actual buildings here with roofs. You’d seen the local youths do this, but you were already exhausted. You were not built for this. If you survived, you swore to yourself you would start martial arts training or something.

You easily scrabbled up a parked cart next to a building. The owner screamed at you and grabbed your pants which earned him a kick in the face. From there, you got onto the roof. “What a smart girl. What’s the plan next? Try to roof hop out of town?” You paused for a moment to catch your breath and then started to run towards the gap between the next building.

You lept and barely made it. You had to do that twice more. As you started to run for next gap, the spirit easily jumped onto the roof from the ground floor. You jumped and made the next gap. Just one more to go. The monster started to run now. For him, the monster barely hoped to cover the gap. You cleared the last gap, but the monster was hot on your heels. He would be in arm's reach in seconds. You were above the open air shrine now. Time was up. You jumped from the roof into the shrine.

You landed with a gross thud on the cobblestone. Pain ripped through your ankles and your head struck the cobblestone hard. Darkness came instantly.

You woke up with an old women jostling you, repeatedly asking you if you were alright. Your head pounded with with every heartbeat and you tasted blood in your mouth. You couldn’t see straight, the was world a blurry mess that wouldn’t come into focus. You tried to sit up, but the spinning world made you vomit instantly.

You spent several minutes on the floor of the shrine, trying to gather yourself. The old lady helped you lean against the carved walls. Your eyes slowly focused again. Taking stock of yourself, your left ankle was ruined. The bone jutted through the skin. Your right ankle screamed in pain, preventing you from touching it, but you were certain it was broken as well. Your forehead had an already forming lump. You were clearly concussed and needed a doctor.

The shrine of the Crone had stone walls, carved into statues of women in all their various forms. Skinny, fat, ugly, beautiful, rich, poor, old, and young. 32 statues ringed the walls, each with candles burning at their feet. Women came and lit a candle at the feet of the statue that was like the person they prayed for. The old women that “helped” you had lit a candle under the skinny women for you, and was beseeching the Crone to hear her. You felt insulted. The woman working the forge was clearly more you.

You didn’t see the monster hovering outside the shrine, but that didn’t mean much. Maybe it was invisible as spirits naturally were. Maybe it lurked just out of site, hoping to lure you out. Jokes on it, because you were not going anywhere right now.

You didn’t like spirits. They mostly exploited humans for their own personal ends. It’s not benevolent to grant blessings to people who prayed to you, it was a business transaction. You didn’t actually want the Crones help because you knew it would come with a price, but any port in a storm.

What will you do?

Take off your necklace and pray for the Crone to hear you.
        Use your money to buy things from passerbys to get food and build a working to attract help. Who knows what you will attract….(2 day time estimate)
        Hire someone to go get any friend.

Something else?

Inventory:
        Your scarab necklace
        3.8 dinars cash, 5.5 dinars worth of wares to sell, 2.5 dinar worth wares being made
        Work clothes
        Casual clothes
        Shop/House

Projects:
        Dust the ignites into the words that you say when thrown(.5 dinar) (days)
        Perfume that makes the room feel cool(2 dinars) (weeks)
        Tocho’s ring (free)(weeks)

Enjoy the adventures of a socially awkward Godblooded that tries to make her way through the world.

Halfway

Comment

Can the shrine's priestesses help?

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

The lady is just a passerby who saw your...entrance. The lady will go get help if that is your choice. You don't know if their is a priest/priestess that attends to this shrine.

Enjoy the adventures of a socially awkward Godblooded that tries to make her way through the world.

Halfway

Comment

Ask the lady to find the priestess if there is one.

If there isn't one, let's try praying. We apparently don't have any friends with occult abilities that compliment ours, and waiting in here for two days with our leg busted up, with no medical attention, sounds like a recipe for gangrene.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

You know, I had never thought about gangrene. It's totally a real threat as Alley doesn't have exalted healing.

Halfway

Comment

Originally posted by Finn523 View Post
                  You know, I had never thought about gangrene. It's totally a real threat as Alley doesn't have exalted healing.
                  On the other hand, she's probably the only person, Exalted or not, in a hundred miles from here who might have the ability to construct magical artificial limbs for amputees.

Comment

Let's send the lady for help and pray to the Crone. It's not like we have any better options.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

Slowly reaching up, taking care to avoid touching your head, you took off your necklace. “Madam, I can pray to the crone, but I can’t get a doctor. I need you to get one for me. I can pay whoever you get.” The lady looked torn for a moment, nodded and left.

Gods and spirits. They infest the land. People have to grovel to them to get help. As a business owner yourself, you’d never make anyone prostrate themselves for your services. Why were gods so different? In a way, the Immaculate philosophy made sense to you. The gods shouldn’t be worshiped. Mortals and gods should exchange prayers for miracles, and that was that. Many followers of the Immaculate philosophy considered you an abomination, so your agreement ended there with them.

You crawled in front of the statue of a burl women working a forge. Her opposite was a woman laying in a chair with a grape being fed to her. You guessed this was industries vs laziness. You squared yourself in front the statue, and bowed until your head until it touched the ground. Your legs screamed in pain.

“Mother Crone, she who watches over women. Hear my plea. I’ve been hurt and need your guidance. Please, appear for me to dispense your sagacious words. I stand….am ready to do whatever is required of me.”

You heard the sound of a stick tapping on the ground. Turning, you saw an ancient woman standing before you. Her hair was white and wispy. Her eyes covered in a gray film. She was dressed in a threadbare outfit. She looked like an old lady you might find rummaging through the trash, but you sensed she was more.

“The little broken flycatcher has decided to call out. She must be desperate.” The Crone walked up closer and leaned in to you. “You stink, broken flycatcher .” You didn’t think you soiled yourself. “Who are you and what would you have of me?” You leaned back against the wall, sticking your legs in front you to keep pressure off your ankles. “Oh, a broken in body as well.”

“I’m Alley’fryn, an enchantress. I was chased here by a spirit, mother crone. A tall, white spirit with horns.” Just for a moment, The Crone looked confused then angry. “I’ve come seeking your protection from him.”

“That is no god of anything from around here. I’ll have him run off. Outside gods that come here and cause trouble must be made an example of. He’ll trouble you no more. You used my shrine as a safe house. The price for my protection is a prayer of thanks every night for 100 nights in a row.” A typical spirit negotiation tactic. You were in no position to argue.

“Thank you for benevolence.” You hated it. Your legs protested in pain and your vision turned white for a moment.

“Now, for those ankles.” The crone bent in and poked your right ankle, making you scream in pain. “Shattered. You’ll need a blessing or miracle to put that right or it will never support your weight again. Your left needs to be set.” Your mind worked on that problem. You didn’t know of any healers in the area, but surely one must exist. You’d tried your workings on living things before to limited degrees of success. Any mistake would cost your foot for sure in the process.

“Luckily for you, flycatcher, a miracle worker happens to be in town. She owes me a tiny favor. She could fix your leg” The Crone let that hang in the air. You were stuck. You needed something magic and didn’t know of anything yourself.

“Mother Crone, would you intercede on my behalf?” This felt stupid. She knew you had no choice here.

“I will, broken bird. The favor she owes me will become the favor you owe me. Rest now, I will go fetch her.” The Crone turned and disappeared like a candle being blown out.

You waited for a while. You had no way of knowing the exact time before a strange women arrived. She was tall, 6 feet at least with black hair. She wore a loose black kimono, but you could tell she wore something under that. She wore simple black leather gloves. She stared down at you. “Hello.”

“Hello” you replied sheepishly looking up.

“The Crone has asked me to fix your legs.” The women knelt down and put her hand softly on your ankles, making you cry out lightly. “I can’t fix them instantly, but I can set them on the right path. After I start the process, you must keep off your feet for a week. Understand me?” You nodded at her. “This is going to take a bit. Your legs are going to feel like they are asleep and you are going to see some lights. Just relax and take deep breaths.”

“Thank you for doing this. Who are you?”

The women sighed and laughed. “I apologize. I’m on a tight schedule and forgot to introduce myself. My name is Sword of the Brave.” You stared at her.

“That is not a people name.” A light blue mist began to emanate from...the women’s hands. You couldn’t bring yourself to call her that. Looking closely at the magic, it was extremely foreign to you. It didn’t have any sorcerous traces to it. You’d seen a spirit heal someone before, and this was different from even that. When a Dragon did magic, their element bled through according to the books you’d read. The star of Venus was blue, which matched the color of-

The women laughed again. “No, it’s really not, but a lot of people in the north have names like that. Sleeves of War. Bull of the North. The Strength of Many.” She paused for a moment and stared into the distance. “Those were poor examples, but I’m sure you believe me. Also, I don’t want to hear about my name being strange from someone whose hair glows.” Sword didn’t look even a little bit like she was from the north. Her accent said poor realm. The blue mist had your legs feeling prickly, but no longer in agony.

What will you do?
                      Talk to The Crone. She was around. Why the broken bird stuff and why do you stink?
                      Press Sword for more information about herself. This magic healing is far beyond anything you’ve seen.

Something else?

Inventory:
                      Your scarab necklace
                      3.8 dinars cash, 5.5 dinars worth of wares to sell, 2.5 dinar worth wares being made
                      Work clothes
                      Casual clothes
                      Shop/House

Projects:
                      Dust the ignites into the words that you say when thrown(.5 dinar) (days)
                      Perfume that makes the room feel cool(2 dinars) (weeks)

Halfway

Comment

Press sword but we need to know about the smell

Comment

Press sword. Let's avoid further interactions with the Crone if possible.

She isn't too expensive though. I'll give her that.

Comment

I meant to include this picture in the last post: http://d2fbmjy3x0sdua.cloudfront.net...46-161_l_1.jpg

Halfway

Comment

As you stared at blue light coming from Sword’s hand, she set your leg. You didn’t even feel it. Even your head felt better. “What exactly are you doing?”

Sword popped her lips. “Magic.”

You rolled your eyes. “Come on. That isn’t sorcery. You aren’t a spirit. That makes you an air Dragon?”

Sword looked you in the eyes. “I'm an anathema. Chosen of the sun. I'm in town visiting my sister. I’m leaving town as soon as I’m done with you.” Sword’s eyes bore into yours. You could feel her searching for what you’d do with that information.

“That is....something.” You looked away. “I guess that means you can’t teach people that?” The blue light coming from her hands faded.

Sword scooped you up in her arms. Her arms felt hard and you were pretty sure you felt a bolt digging into your butt. “Where do you live? I’ll drop you off.” You gave her directions back to your shop. “I can’t teach people to do what I do, but I’ve seen a lot of strange things in my travels. I’ve seen people of your mixed nature master the magic of spirits.” Mixed nature sounded better than the term some of the Immaculate followers had called you. “I’ve seen godblooded breath fire and turn sand into iron. They all said they had been taught by spirits.” Sword carried you into the crowded market, leaving behind the shrine.

You thought about that idea. You didn’t know any spirits really. The Crone just saved you, maybe kinda. The city was home to about 30ish gods. You could safely ask one of them if they could offer any insight.

Arriving back at the shop, Sword dropped you off in your bed. “No walking for a week. After that, you’ll be fine.” Sword looked around your shop. “...and you live alone I see. Want me to get someone for you? I’m leaving after this.”

“Ireidana. She has a library nearby.” The sun was still up. The Estate Library would still be open. When you said that, Sword’s face ticked, just a tiny bit.

“Great. I’ll let her know.” Sword left, leaving you alone in your workshop. You could crawl around if Ireidana didn’t show up. You’d have to close the shop for a week.

Ireidana showed up about 2 hours later. She carried a small brown parcel when she came into the shop. “Poor Alley! What happened?” She began to unpack her parcel, which was a tea set for two.

“Well, I was coming home when I was chased by a spirit.” You explained the tale, ending it with your broken ankles. “I’m bed ridden for a week by the doctors orders.” You stuck your bottom lip out in an exaggerated pout. “Help me.”

Ireidana laughed. “I’ll stop by in the morning and evening. You can’t be that bad if you are able to make jokes. You should be in more pain.” You thought about that. That healing magic was apparently really good. You wanted to keep Sword’s identity a secret though.

You left it at that. Ireidana fetched some water and started to make tea. She chatted with you for an hour. She had apparently started to see a suitor that had swept into town. Some foreign money man. She seemed very happy. After gushing about this mystery man, she left.

Two days passed. You spent most of the time working on your projects, and made excellent progress.

You were sleeping in your warm bed happily when a loud knocking on your door startled you awake. The pounding on your door didn’t stop. You clasped your hand around your necklace, making sure it was still there. You had set a chair on a cloth and used that slide around your workshop. You slid toward the door and grabbed your hammer and chisel.

“Who is it?”

A soft voice answered. “Cass--” it trailed off. You leaned over to try to look through your window, but couldn’t get a good angle. Finally, you opened the door. Cassie stumbled in. She was dressed in all black, with a strange mask dangling around her neck. Crimson came from her side and she left a trail as she came.

She dropped a crumpled up, scarlet note as she fell to her knees. You grabbed her and tried to steady her. She felt hot to the touch. “A metal monster…..claws….” She clutched at her head. “He built a gear man. Many gear men.” She coughed a sickening, wet cough. “They were following me, but I had to drop that off.” She must have meant that bloody note. Cassandra would be easy to follow. Her footprints were red.

Cassandra was in very bad shape. You couldn’t clearly see the wound on her side, but it wasn’t good. Her being hot to the touch meant she was going into shock, was poisoned, or both. She needed medical attention now. If she was being followed, whatever it was could be right behind her. You tested your feet. They hurt, but with your adrenaline pumping, you could walk on them.

Where are you going?

The Immaculate Temple was 2 blocks away. It would be safe, but you should prepare for racism.
                              The local guard post was 3 blocks away. Cassandra got this wound stealing and questions would be asked, but she would be safe while a doctor could be found.
                              A no questions asked doctor. If Cassie is being followed, you would have to face whatever it is was.

Something else?

Inventory:
                              Your scarab necklace
                              3.8 dinars cash, 6 dinars worth of wares to sell, 4 dinar worth wares being made
                              Work clothes
                              Casual clothes
                              Shop/House

Projects:
                              Perfume that makes the room feel cool(2 dinars) (days)
                              Wooden cup that won't spill. (2 dinars)(days)

Last edited by Finn523; 03-31-2017, 09:26 PM.

Halfway

Comment

Go to the temple. A little racism is a small price to pay for not having to walk an extra block on broken angles while being chased by gear-men.

Comment

Working...
                                X