Halfway [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Finn523 View Post

Totally fair. I thought I was being funny. I'll just change it.

Totally sympathize. I had a water aspect use the term "Wavelength" in a modern context (We need to get on the same wavelength here) and my players called me out on it.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

I wanna say keep promises, we might even be able to finish the item we promised that one dude who's bad side I don't want to be on

Comment

You promised. Martial arts and some basic working out to build your body.
        And while working on projects and your body,

You are visited by another vision.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
        An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

Time flew by as you recovered from your adventures. Your days were spent running the shop, dedicating your time to finishing out your remaining projects, and recovering your legs. Your ankles gained strength everyday, and you soon found walking on them to be fine. With nothing holding you back, you quickly whipped through outstanding orders. The perfume was going to be a big seller in about 3 months when the hot season started. Your spill proof cup sold the very day it was finished. You sent Tocho’s ring via carrier, and he showed up at your shop later. He gave you fine bottle of “medicinal wormwood extract” as a get well gift. A single drop of that stuff would knock you out for hours. Tocho seemed to genuinely care about your health.

Ireidana came by everyday as your acting nurse and made tea. She always gushed about her boyfriend and how wonderful he was. You were excited to meet this man of growing legend, but had to wait as he was leaving for a business trip before you would be well enough to make an appearance.

Cassandra was worse off than you were. She had been poisoned, which had done a number on her system. She was expected to make a full recovery, just another 4 weeks later.

Finally, you were ready. You headed out to a nearby dojo. Halfway didn’t have some famous homegrown school of martial arts. It had three dojos. The Immaculate monks practiced something in their dojo. You think it was the Water style, but you certainly weren’t going to try that conversation with them. There was a school that taught the Tiger style, but Tiger style just seemed too violent. The third school was the School of the Waiting Cricket.

You found the dojo to be in good repairs, if not a little bit small. On entering it, you found it to be acceptably clean. You called out and an older man clad in a white gi appeared. He was in his 40s and his hair was more salt than pepper. “Welcome to my school. I am Wing Ki. How may this simple man help you?” His voice was soft.

“I’ve come hoping you might take me as a student. I am a merchant by trade, but recently had a brush with my own mortality. I need to be better than I am now.”

The man nodded sadly. “It is never too late to change. The Waiting Cricket school is a school for the common man. We teach self mastery and self defense. Do you have any experience in the arts?” You figured he didn’t mean fine arts. You could probably paint circles around this guy.

“I do not. Before we go further, I should reveal a part of myself.” You removed your bonnet, letting your strange hair fall into view. Most people muttered and cursed when they saw the unnatural strands. “I’m not wyld tainted, but my heritage involves an elemental somewhere.” People were afraid of wyld mutants. They might be spies of the Raksha and or might be contagious.

Wing paused for a moment. “We don’t pick our parents, we pick who we become. Your past doesn’t matter here, only your future.” Wing and you talked for a few more minutes, working out a schedule of early morning training before your store opened.

Training began that day, mostly. Your entire first week was jogging, sit ups, push ups, lunges and various exercises. You were making progress in general physical fitness. Wing remarked you had the stamina of a fat lord. He was mostly kind, but from time to time had biting commentary.

Finally, Wing began to actually teach katas. The Waiting Cricket was a style that stressed defending, observing, and then a sudden burst of action to clinch victory. Most of your katas were to teach muscle control and patience.

Everyday you went to bed exhausted, barely able to hold your eyes open. One night, the vision arrived. You stood in a black void, with the street in front of Dr Gray’s office winding through the blackness. You saw a copy of yourself and the construct. You walked past the construct, using magic to conceal your nature and some simple acting to not draw attention to yourself. Then you turned and drove your chisel into the construct. You felt so proud of yourself. It was a warm, glowing feeling. Then, you saw yourself switch to a two handed stance and club the monster. You felt shame in the ugliness of you action.

“Alley, you must always have grace and wits.” The scene reversed to when the construct turned to face you, but you were gone. After striking the creature, in the blink of an eye, you turned and continued to walk away, like nothing had happened at all. It was the perfect move. The construct never fathomed you might have been the one to strike it. Failing to detect its attacker, the construct wheeled about confused, before taking up its previous task of tracking the wounded Cassandra. That is when you struck again from behind, finishing it off with flair. This is what you should have done, if only you were a little more clever and faster.

Next, you stood before sensei Wing, who was running you through the katas of the Waiting Cricket. Intense, burning shame filled you. Waiting Cricket? What a farce. It was just holding still and getting punched until the other person made a mistake. People should not seek to emulate a pathetic bug. “The ways of the weak are no concern to you. You need guidance.”

Lastly you saw yourself practicing a set of beautiful katas, filled with grace. Every motion was a sublime ballet. It was so breathtaking you started to cry. That could be you. “Speak aloud a denouncement of Waiting Cricket and cease to learn it’s methods. In return, a master of beauty and grace will arrive to be your teacher.”

What will you do?
          Accept the deal.
          Reject the deal, but why would you?
          Something else.

Inventory:
          Your scarab necklace
          8.2 dinars cash, 5 dinars worth of wares to sell
          Work clothes
          Casual clothes
          Shop/House

Projects:
          Researching the core (all slots)(days)

Enjoy the adventures of a socially awkward Godblooded that tries to make her way through the world.

Halfway

Comment

Well, listening to the voice in our dreams has been rewarding so far (based on a single datapoint). Accept the deal.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

The voice hasn't steered us wrong yet!

Accept the deal!

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

Comment

Wing said it, "Your past doesn’t matter here, only your future." Waiting Cricket is now your past.

Accept the deal.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98

Comment

Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
                  Wing said it, "Your past doesn’t matter here, only your future." Waiting Cricket is now your past.

Accept the deal.
                  You made me spit my drink. Well done.

Enjoy the adventures of a socially awkward Godblooded that tries to make her way through the world.

Halfway

Comment

Take the deal, crazy voice FTW!

Comment

Besides when has listening to the voices in your head ever gone wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Jairain View Post
                        Besides when has listening to the voices in your head ever gone wrong?
                        As long as you don't get answers back, you should be fine.....

Comment

Erm, who knows me better? Who is better qualified to advise me than me? All three of us say so: me, myself, and I.

It's when I start losing arguments that there is a problem.....

Comment

Your pillow was tear stained when you woke up. The vision had done a number on you. You took a moment to clear your head. What had you just signed up for?

You stood up from your bed. “I renounce the Waiting Cricket Style, and will practice it no further.” You stood there expecting a bolt of lightning, or a horn to sound. Instead, you just felt silly. How long until this master would arrive?

Another three days passed peacefully. You still kept up your morning exercise routine, but it was just basic strength training now. You and Ireidana had made a habit of walking the nighttime city together after you both closed shop.

On the third night, you made a breakthrough on the construct core. You were able to repair it and fully understand it. In fact, you could improve on the original design. If you built a human shaped frame, you would be able to wrap a human disguise around it using your illusion symbol. The resultant construct would be mute and dim, but would be able to run the shop for you. It should take you two weeks to finish shop tending construct. You thought you might be able to churn out a construct every month after you did a few practice runs.

While patting yourself on the back for a job well done, you heard a knock at the door. When you peered through the window, you saw a tall man. You opened the door and inspected him. He was 6’6 and covered in muscle. He had dark skin, dark eyes, and long black oiled hair. He wore a simple white tunic and hemp pants. He was breathtaking. “We are closed for the evening, but may I help you?”

The man had a rumbling voice. “Good evening to you. I’ve come to be your teacher.” Your mind did the math. He was sent by the vision but….how did he find you? How did he get here so quickly? If he left from any port on the Dreaming Sea, he couldn’t have arrived within the time frame. Stormwind Rider maybe?

You stood awkwardly in the doorway, unsure of what to say. Finally, you opened your door to let him in. “I’m Alley’fryn.”

“I am Tavosh.” The man looked around your shop. “This will be very cramped for your lessons. Barely suitable.”

You had many questions to ask this man. “Who sent you to me?” He smiled and shrugged.

“I was told to not answer such questions. You aren’t ready for the answers.”

“That is a misdirection indicating that I will not like the answers and therefore you need time to pitch them to me in an optimal light.” Tavosh frowned, meaning you were at least partially correct.

“If I tell you anything, my hide will get tanned. I am simply here to teach you.” He gave you a dazzling smile, showing his glorious white teeth. His physical appearance was really striking. “Now, it is too late to begin our lessons tonight. Let us work out an aggressive instruction schedule for you.”

You discussed a plan with him for your instruction into the “Grace and Beauty” style. Afterwards, he excused himself with no further incident and walked into the night.

What will you do?
                            He is clearly not human. Go hit the books with Irei to figure out what he is.
                            “Grace and Beauty” is clearly a made up name for a real martial art. Go talk to the Tiger style master to see if he can identify it’s real name.

What form will you give the construct?

Inventory:
                            Your scarab necklace
                            8.2 dinars cash, 5 dinars worth of wares to sell
                            Work clothes
                            Casual clothes
                            Shop/House
                            Projects:
                            Construct (weeks)
                            Inkless Quill (3 dinar) (days)
                            Forever in bloom mini cherry tree (5 dinar) (days)

Halfway

Comment

What will you do?
                              Clearly not human? His description doesn't really convey that... other than his uncanny timing, that is. Even so, go hit the books with Irei to figure out what he is.

Humanoid. I stand by my call for a housekeeper/guard. If it also can work the shop counter, that's a bonus.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by semicasual View Post
                                What will you do?
                                Clearly not human? His description doesn't really convey that... other than his uncanny timing, that is. Even so, go hit the books with Irei to figure out what he is.

Humanoid. I stand by my call for a housekeeper/guard. If it also can work the shop counter, that's a bonus.

I agree with all this.

Comment

Working...
                                X