Lanaya's Martial Arts Homebrew Compendium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by putty View Post
    If Breathing on the Black Mirror is used to supplement an attack, does it enhance both the attack and damage rolls with 10s? Or just attack?
    Both. Which veers dangerously into absurdly overpowered territory, but it wouldn't be Breathing on the Black Mirror if it didn't.

Originally posted by Ellis View Post
    Have you given any thought to the supposed Sidereal methods of Mastery, and/or what differentiates SMAs?
    I'm happy with SMAs, requirements on who can learn them aside, just being martial arts that exist in the E3-5 range rather than the E1-3 that regular MAs occupy (and have very powerful and/or weird charms). I don't have any substantial thoughts on Sidereal mastery; if you're building NPCs I'd suggest giving it to them with no strings attached unless you're making a particularly new and inexperienced Sidereal, if you're doing PC Sidereals I would expect whichever homebrew you use to have its own rules for it.

Infernals - To Rule in Hell (complete first draft)
    3e Dragon Kings (complete)
    My martial arts (includes Eye of Heaven, White Veil, Obsidian Shards and more)

Comment

Originally posted by Lanaya View Post

Both. Which veers dangerously into absurdly overpowered territory, but it wouldn't be Breathing on the Black Mirror if it didn't.
      Its very strong, but the only one I think is too good is Black Shards Fall Like Ice, which is the first charm in the tree and simply a better version of Arrow Storm Technique. Its an extremely powerful ranged AoE decisive attack for the same cost as Arrow Storm, has no limit to the number of enemies it targets, has potentially higher base damage, gets double 10s on decisive damage, and to top it off creates a deadly environmental hazard that sets up a few future charms.

Maybe a little too cheap for what it does.

Comment

Originally posted by putty View Post
        Its very strong, but the only one I think is too good is Black Shards Fall Like Ice, which is the first charm in the tree and simply a better version of Arrow Storm Technique. Its an extremely powerful ranged AoE decisive attack for the same cost as Arrow Storm, has no limit to the number of enemies it targets, has potentially higher base damage, gets double 10s on decisive damage, and to top it off creates a deadly environmental hazard that sets up a few future charms.

Maybe a little too cheap for what it does.
        It's certainly good, but I wouldn't say strictly better. It hits allies in a pretty wide area and is generally going to be worse at hitting enemies rather than better - by E2 AST is already getting seven targets, which might as well not be a limitation unless your ST has forgotten that battle groups exist and attempted to individually model an entire mook squad, and AST gets to hit enemies at medium range around the target rather than short range. And while the base damage could in theory be higher, I'm writing everything under the assumption that E6+ doesn't exist, and under that paradigm (essence) damage is worse than (attribute) damage. Black Shards Fall Like Ice wouldn't be the only thing that scales absurdly if you start using elder essence; I'd probably recommend hard-capping all (essence)-scaled effects to 5 if you do want to go that high.

All that said, it is still a bit over the top. I'll tone it down a touch in my next revision pass.
        Last edited by Lanaya; 03-17-2017, 03:49 AM.

Infernals - To Rule in Hell (complete first draft)
        3e Dragon Kings (complete)
        My martial arts (includes Eye of Heaven, White Veil, Obsidian Shards and more)

Comment

Well, its also important to keep in mind that it is a ranged AoE in a melee-based ability. Normally you have to pay a hefty surcharge to make ranged attacks using a close combat ability (Sandstorm Wind Attack, Iron Raptor Technique, Cold Moon Slash) and the MAs that allow you to cheaply do so have specific weapon requirements or require a Form-type charm. This hits out to medium range at everything within short of that point. When I was saying it was a little cheap I was taking the bigger picture into account, not just that charm in isolation. It can be freely comboed with any other MA that shares Unarmed as a form weapon, and MA is much better at building initative than Archery is.

Comment

I feel like Vanished Within the Glass is both way too cheap and way too easy, compare-contrasting Heart-Eating Fist. The gambit difficulty doesn't scale with health and can't be thwarted by emergency regeneration techniques, and for just a single Willpower it's only a matter of building the Initiative (which doesn't need to be an enemy-interactive affair, Solar Stealth as an example).

I'd be more comfortable if it took the enemy's Essence into account - perhaps being temporary if you're not relatively powerful enough - and maybe asking something of the martial artist, like a shard of their essence to silver the glass with to the tune of 1ahl.

Comment

Just posting to thank you for the conversion of Obsidian Shards of Infinity Style, I have a Sidereal maybe-antagonist who's going to be a holy terror with it if my group of Solars (they just reached E3, will likely not put them to battle with her until they get to 4) decide to go against her.

Blasphemy? No, it is not blasphemy. If God is as vast as that, he is above blasphemy; if He is as little as that, He is beneath it.
              - Mark Twain, a Biography

Comment

Working...
              X