No announcement yet.

Constructing the North in 3e

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leetsepeak Yeah, I did a double take while reading the earlier posts and looking at your linked maps. "Why are they asking where Karn should be? It's right there!"

On the topic of Medo, is it new to 3e? I think I'm having a bout of early dementia, as I could have sworn it appeared in a previous supplement, but both COTD North and COCD Underworld turned up bupkiss.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Medo is new to 3e.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

So did the Bull of the North still destroy the Tepet Legions?

Comment

Originally posted by Exalted p.81
          Even the satrapies along the Inland Sea, with their mellow summers and fine harvests, suffer from long, cruel winters. The peoples of these shores trade autonomy for security, bowing beneath ruinous taxes in exchange for protection from the ever-present Northern raiders.
          So! satrapies on the inland sea. Previously the Deshan city-states tended to dominate, and I am not a huge fan of them, I admit.

Pneuma and Cherak are two coastal satrapies, obviously. But what else? Have you guys ever made any custom ones over there?

Where else in the North would you place satrapies?

I'm thinking Mela's Fangs is a no go. I get the sense that there aren't many on the coast of the White Sea either. But Fajad is a satrapy, isn't it? Maybe the satrapies are to the west, near Grieve?

Are Gethemane or Whitewall considered satrapies?
          Last edited by Leetsepeak; 03-17-2017, 03:16 AM.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaZarak View Post
            So did the Bull of the North still destroy the Tepet Legions?
            Well, someone did.
            Originally posted by EX3 page 67
            HOUSE TEPET: Formerly one of the most powerful and honourable military houses in the Realm, House Tepet’s legions and many of its Dragon-Blooded heirs were slaughtered on a doomed campaign in the North. Now, House Tepet is a dark horse struggling to climb back to power.​

Comment

I suspect it was still the Bull, he just doesn't have a huge Empire anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
                I suspect it was still the Bull, he just doesn't have a huge Empire anymore.
                :nods: In EX3 his territory is sizable but so much less ridiculously everywhere North. Also, now the remoteness factors in more sensibly as a logistics concern.

Comment

Where would you place his territory? I've either thought to the left of Diamond Hearth or between Diamond Hearth and Crystal on the coast, but I can't tell if that's correct at all.

Comment

So what do we think about Bull being able to crush the Tepet legions with his (presumably) fewer resources and smaller army? Would he need help?

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
                      Where would you place his territory? I've either thought to the left of Diamond Hearth or between Diamond Hearth and Crystal on the coast, but I can't tell if that's correct at all.
                      Since Tusk is related to Icewalkers culturally, I would make his territory more in the latter, with it probably crossing the river (It's just ice and his people probably can navigate it) down into the area near Rubylak. Mostly preserve the relations he had with the Linowan and Halta, as well as some probably things on where the Tepet Legion swere lost before, though I woudl assume a shitload of the detials would be different.

And stuff.

And stuff.
                      Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

Comment

So what do we think about Bull being able to crush the Tepet legions with his (presumably) fewer resources and smaller army? Would he need help?
                        He might have had less numbers but still had gods and spirits on his side. That plus a good old fashioned military snafu on the part of the Tepet could just mean that it's just how things went down.

Comment

That depends on how the Tepet Legion's defeat is presented in 3rd edition.

The issue back in 1st (and later 2nd edition) was that, once people crunched some numbers, it became apparent that House Tepet had lost somewhere around 600 Dragon Blooded against the Bull of the North. And it simply strained credibility that that many Dragon Blooded, from one of the greatest military Houses in the Realm, fully equipped and prepared for war, would be killed by one circle of Solars.

So in Second Edition, this was justified by having the Sidereals betray House Tepert. And the other Great Houses betray House Tepet, and I think maybe there was some other extenuating circumstance. Oh, and now apparently the Icewalkers had a bunch of Dragon Blooded of their own. Eventually it felt like House Tepet wasn't even beaten by the Bull of the North but by everybody else, which was yet another problem.

Hopefully in 3rd edition they scale back House Tepet's loss.

House Tepet sent its legions led by its best and brights Dragon Blooded, armed with the House's most powerful and rare artifacts and they lost. House Tepet lost around 200 Dragon Blooded. They lost many of their most powerful artifacts. They lost many of their most loyal and skilled mortal soldiers. And importantly, they lost the respect and prestige of the other Great Houses. Rather than being a "mortal wound" like in prior editions, their defeat in 3rd edition is more like a horrific facial wound and some missing teeth - not fatal but enough that it serves as a powerful object lesson for the other Great Houses, and is bad enough that most everyone feels they are out of the race for the Throne.

Basically, you can have House Tepet still serving the same story purpose (a great House who lost to the Solars, and is on the ropes) without having their loss be so massive and overwhelming that the authors have to also come up with all sorts of other reasons to try and justify it.

So by scaling back House Tepet's losses (losing something like 25% of their best and strongest Dragon Blooded when everyone is gearing up for a civil war is still crippling, even if it isn't as bad as losing nearly all of them), it also allows the authors to scale back the Bull of the North's power a fair amount, plus remove some of the elements (like the Sidereal betrayal) that were latter added in to justify those inflated losses after the fact.
                          Last edited by AnubisXy; 03-17-2017, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                            [I]n Second Edition, [....] the other Great Houses betray House Tepet, and I think maybe there was some other extenuating circumstance.
                            I don't have Aspect Book: Air anymore, but I want to say that Arada comes to the conclusion in there that his forces were deliberately put into an inefficient meat grinder position to weaken the house.

I'm personally inclined to go with the more drastic loss: the Great Houses we have now weren't always the ones that were there, and I suspect that V'neef and Tepet are deliberately there to mirror each other: a new house on a potential rise to greatness, and an ancient house that's gone from perhaps the greatest among its peers to wasting and dying in an eyeblink of the Realm's history.

Comment

I don't really see a need for that many Dragon-Blooded casualties. Probably a bunch dying with the legions of mortals really decimated. When I try to think of what the Bull might do with less of an army at his beck and call might be leading several icewalker tribes + gods and spirits which do stuff like use the environment and their comfort in it to fuck up the Tepet Legions really bad.

Fighting Gods and a Solar + his other friends which could be a Solar Circle if you want could mean a bunch of Dragon-Blooded getting killed, others getting incapacitated or maimed, and others losing their men and being forced to retreat and stuff. That sort of thing. Bury a legion in an avalanche, etc.

I imagine that the Bull probably blew most of his chips on that one, if it's still his fault that it went down the way it did.

If he and his people killed a bunch of really famous Tepet heroes, injured a bunch of the younger ones and killed a lot of their soldiers, that could be sufficiently shameful and demoralizing that they're in the position given to them in the corebook.

Comment

It's kind of moronically ironic that i have almost completely ignored book material about the North due to how much stuff i have homebrewed for my game set in the North.

Comment

Working...
                                X