Resurgence of New Dragonblooded Being Born

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resurgence of New Dragonblooded Being Born

So something I think would be cool, and I plan to explore in my own game, is what if a resurgence of Dragonblooded are Exalted outside the Realm along with the return of the Solars. Maybe its something similar to Avatar with the Return of the Airbenders, the Elemental Dragons turn their eyes back to Creation and breath Essence into the scattered diluted Bloodlines. This gives more freedom to have more outcastes for the PCs to interact with. Normally even though dragonblooded are the most Numerous Exalted, numbering over 10k, they are still a rare group and losing every one to battle or mishap is a sharp blow.

The World is already turning to a New age with Hundreds of Solar Level Exalts Returning along with Exigents, this seems like a natural extension of the themes. It doesn't even have to be an outrageous number, it could just like an extra thousand Dragonblooded are being born and far off non Realm cultures are experiencing Outcastes appear in abnormal numbers.

You could even do a situation where Dragonblooded are Exalting much later in life, like the Dragons themselves are choosing the Worthy and even Middle Aged and older Dragonblooded are Exalting.

Yes I think I will explore this option in the corners of the World, so perhaps this is much more poignant closer to the Poles. Thoughts?

It is a time for great deeds!

Minor quibble; contextualizing "exalting later" as "choosing the Worthy" comes with implicit suggestion that those who were exalting previously were, by extension, somehow less worthy in some way.

I'm sort of of the opinion that the life of a dynastic youth is pretty strenuous and exacting by design; coddling a young child won't test them to exalt the fire in the blood, after all. Sure, it's less life or death than the back breaking labor and constant threats of the world a peasant experiences, and once they've passed the test (or grown old enough to demonstrate their blood is too thin or they lack the fortitude to be a hero), they're given more luxury, but I think that insinuating they're "unWorthy" is... Not a good direction.

To put it another way, a core theme of dragon blooded stories is already, in a way, proving your worthiness - whether as a scion of a house or the bearer of a spark of blood long lain dormant. I don't think there's need to add another layer of "but were you REALLY worthy and chosen by the dragons as the core assumes, or was it just accident and you're actually less worthy than this old dude whose fifth ancestor was an outcaste who banged a scullery maid?"

Far as the core idea of "more lost eggs and outcastes", I'm hesitant to attribute it directly to Sol, but the core idea isn't bad. The growing turmoil in the world awakening the power of the dragons in their sleeping blood even generations after byblown ancestors mingled has fun narrative resonance.

This is mostly because maybe it was not thought of, the narrative implications of saying that these new dragon blooded are really Chosen and truly Worthy; we had enough of that in 2e, "are dragon blooded REALLY exalted"threads, etc.
    Last edited by Meianno Yuurei; 03-07-2017, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Indeed, the idea that all the commotion is somehow making the dragons stir and quickening the traces of their blood in the veins of many mortals sounds good - I would expect that the dragons could do something like that, maybe even unknowingly. However, I am not sure how necessary it is - dragonblooded are already fairly numerous and there are many (well, comparatively speaking) of them in the Threshold. But hey, if you want a hundred or so young dragon-blooded in the far West or South and it is your game... it could work.
      Last edited by 4uk4ata; 03-07-2017, 06:33 AM.

Comment

As I view it as entirely genetic, I dont like the idea od Dragonblooded Exalting in connection to the Solars either. For something like that to happen, there woyld need to be some preplanned events of Social engineering, Eugenics, or epic Fate manipulation. And all of it at least a decade and a half before the Solar Reemergence. Which would have needed to be predicted to put this in place. So that makes it unlikely to me

Comment

I think the idea of many new Dragon-Blooded Outcastes Exalting is pretty great. It doesn't have to be specifically in connection to the Solars, it could be something entirely unrelated. Maybe it has something to do with the Empress disappearing, who knows?

The point is that it feeds into the destabilisation of the Realm and the turning of the Second Age. It makes stories, and that's cool.

A Clutch of Dragons: Hub Thread, Performance, Presence, Resistance, Ride, Sail, Socialize Stealth, Survival, Thrown, War<NEW

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
            Thoughts?
            Eh, it's... not for me. It's too aspirational. Also strikes me as a hint of something for the sake of some kind of fairness.

​I think there's currently a solid foundation for where the Terrestrial Exalted come from, and it's not something that I would want to tinker with.

Originally posted by Meianno Yuurei
            a core theme of dragon blooded stories is already, in a way, proving your worthiness
            ​I'm fairly sold on the idea that Lea once put forward about how this creates a narrative in which the unExalted Dynasts really weren't worthy.

​I can't remember if I already said this recently, but I'm trying to reconnect myself with the my first impression of the Dragon Blooded being a representation of how supernatural powers expressed by a proscriptive family group is something that is deeply problematic in a fascinating way, so that includes references to how, throughout history, tremendously wealthy and powerful people have come about just because they had the good fortune to be born in the right place to the right people. Some may talk about how even then, what they wind up getting is something they had to truly earn, and it's correct sometimes, but... often they're coming into a world where their ancestors have cumulatively used their power to create all kinds of safety nets.

​I suppose that might be my answer to the existence of the Dragon Blooded who is a couch potato (absent the existence of things like television); you become, at the very least, somebody who is powerful in a way that gives you an effective safety net. Maybe you'll only ever be Essence 2, but there are a lot of small ponds out there for you.

​This is part of something I would like in the idea of Dragon Blooded being so numerous; they're a community. Diverse, and collective, and with more than enough room for some fuck-ups.

​I like to separate the narratives of the different Exalted, so I like to think of the Elemental Dragons as having given a kind of "Abraham, your descendants shall outnumber the stars" kind of deal, and that's the extent of their involvement ever.

​It might need a bit of revision once we learn more about this pilgrimage route on the Caul, but it's in my head for the moment.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (updated 02/03)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

I think one of the biggest problems with the Dynasty is that the ruling class of exalted are so sharply different and almost always more capable than their mortal underclass. Particularly with how Exalted presents exalts. In real life you can absolutely point to children of wealthy families and show how they had every advantage in education, connections and all forms of nepotism. In exalted the Dynasts have that, but also the incredible ability to bestow upon their followers the blessings to become the greatest clerks, soldiers ect. they could ever be. That really is something that nobody else can do and makes them just better at being merchants or officers or what have you.

Comment

Originally posted by Meianno Yuurei View Post
                Minor quibble; contextualizing "exalting later" as "choosing the Worthy" comes with implicit suggestion that those who were exalting previously were, by extension, somehow less worthy in some way.

I'm sort of of the opinion that the life of a dynastic youth is pretty strenuous and exacting by design; coddling a young child won't test them to exalt the fire in the blood, after all. Sure, it's less life or death than the back breaking labor and constant threats of the world a peasant experiences, and once they've passed the test (or grown old enough to demonstrate their blood is too thin or they lack the fortitude to be a hero), they're given more luxury, but I think that insinuating they're "unWorthy" is... Not a good direction.

To put it another way, a core theme of dragon blooded stories is already, in a way, proving your worthiness - whether as a scion of a house or the bearer of a spark of blood long lain dormant. I don't think there's need to add another layer of "but were you REALLY worthy and chosen by the dragons as the core assumes, or was it just accident and you're actually less worthy than this old dude whose fifth ancestor was an outcaste who banged a scullery maid?"

Far as the core idea of "more lost eggs and outcastes", I'm hesitant to attribute it directly to Sol, but the core idea isn't bad. The growing turmoil in the world awakening the power of the dragons in their sleeping blood even generations after byblown ancestors mingled has fun narrative resonance.

This is mostly because maybe it was not thought of, the narrative implications of saying that these new dragon blooded are really Chosen and truly Worthy; we had enough of that in 2e, "are dragon blooded REALLY exalted"threads, etc.
                That is not what I was getting at, if anything it presents the first Exalts as the most Worthy and these new ones as those given a 2nd chance as they were first passed over by the Exaltation due to thinned blood.

And its not at all supposed to be connected to the Unconquered Sun, that is weird why would it be. I just mean in the time of Tumult when Solars and Exigents return, you get a new Wave of Dragonblooded for Mysterious reasons, but probably because the Dragons are Stirring.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                  I'm fairly sold on the idea that Lea once put forward about how this creates a narrative in which the unExalted Dynasts really weren't worthy.
                  Could you elaborate on this?
                  Worth is such a subjective thing that I don't see how Dragon-Blooded trying to prove themselves worthy automatically confers that judgement onto their mortal relatives, at least no more than any exalt has greatly increased capacity to attract people who'll fawn over them and assume they know the first thing about what they're doing.

Comment

The Dragon-Blooded certainly tell themselves and each other that Exaltaion of the Dragons (or from the Dragons, if you prefer) is a sign of worthiness, usually in a context that links strength and moral worth i.e. "If you didn't Exalt, it's either because of a moral failing on your part or because you're weak, which is itself a moral failing." And they use this as justification for mistreating Dynasts who don't Exalt.

I think confirming this as a metaphysical truth removes value from the setting, however.

Although I don't have a problem with e.g. that Sidereal Astrology power that flags a soul for reincarnation as a Dragon-Blooded, because Sidereal judgement (and indeed divine judgement, because the existence of a mechanism by which Sidereals flag souls for Dragon-Blooded incarnations suggests a mechanism by which Heaven does the same on a larger scale) is not something the setting presents as morally sound.

Comment

I think it could be fun as a variant to have the Dragons breathe Essence into their Chosen (effectively enriching the Breeding of the Exalted). I would prefer it to be prompted by actions of the Chosen themselves - it kind of seems like a possible outcome of Dragonblooded messiah conquers the Caul, kind of thing.

However, not sure the Dragons are generally not that kind of god that cares enough about humanity to do so... canonically. It might help to get Gaia involved, if you view her as that kind of being (and she's about the most mysterious thing in canon, so go wild), or even if she's not, a "great Exalt" could make a (devil's) bargain with her.

Comment

Also as a general thing I'm skeptical of setting timeline elements that confirm the setting's "now" as intrinsically significant rather than coincidentally significant. If you look at the timeline, pretty much everything that makes RY 768 meaningfully distinct from the past five centuries can be traced to one event. When the Empress disappeared, the Realm's politics became insular and they started withdrawing armies from the Threshold, which lead to Threshold political instability and vulnerability that drives both an economic boom and increased vulnerability to things like Fair Folk and Silver Pact raids; this vulnerability was what lead the Deathlords to breach the Jade Prison right now, which lead to the release of the Solars. It's all because the Empress disappeared. That feels verisimilar to me -- "now" is circumstantially significant, but not metaphysically or intrinsically significant except in ways that spring from circumstance.

Adding "And there's a bunch of new and extra DB Exaltations because, uh, reasons" violates that.

Comment

I liken Dragonblooded to the Garou in Werewolf, you are born Garou, but you don't Second Breath/First Change till later. Back when all Dragonblooded had all their kids Exalt still had kids start mortal, its just they knew eventually they would Exalt.

A lot of this thread is inspired by Werewolf, such as the idea that even though the Species can number in the Thousands they life violent lives and can become endangered very quickly if they don't invest in breeding. And the idea that during the apocalypse I remember a couple Caerns had an Auspicious year and something like a Dozen or half a dozen Werwolves were born in one year to a single sept, One being In Hong Kong I believe.

So as far as a lot of people are concerned this could just be good fortune, and batches of Lost Eggs were born in scattered areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
                            Also as a general thing I'm skeptical of setting timeline elements that confirm the setting's "now" as intrinsically significant rather than coincidentally significant. If you look at the timeline, pretty much everything that makes RY 768 meaningfully distinct from the past five centuries can be traced to one event. When the Empress disappeared, the Realm's politics became insular and they started withdrawing armies from the Threshold, which lead to Threshold political instability and vulnerability that drives both an economic boom and increased vulnerability to things like Fair Folk and Silver Pact raids; this vulnerability was what lead the Deathlords to breach the Jade Prison right now, which lead to the release of the Solars. It's all because the Empress disappeared. That feels verisimilar to me -- "now" is circumstantially significant, but not metaphysically or intrinsically significant except in ways that spring from circumstance.

Adding "And there's a bunch of new and extra DB Exaltations because, uh, reasons" violates that.
                            But didn't the Deathlords attack the Prison the same Calibration the Empress Disappeared? That means it was before any consequence of her being gone was a thing, as the Empress sometimes went on lil sabbaticals and vacations.

Comment

Ebon Dragon must have tipped 'em off right away that he'd nabbed her.

(Yeah, it's an option, but let's not pretend it's not the one the books run with for the most part.)

Comment

Working...
                              X