No announcement yet.

Resurgence of New Dragonblooded Being Born

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing is, the way dragonblooded claim it works is that they all did do something to earn their exaltation. They just did so in a previous life.

So, what if this is, on some level, actually true?

I mean, that's basically how alchemicals work.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
      The thing is, the way dragonblooded claim it works is that they all did do something to earn their exaltation. They just did so in a previous life.

So, what if this is, on some level, actually true?

I mean, that's basically how alchemicals work.
      My snippy, sanctimonious Zenith actually used this very argument against a Dragonblood he had taken a disliking to.

"Your order lords itself over the rest of the world, conveniently placing itself above the reproach of those it claims to serve. What great task have you accomplished that grants you seniority? By what deed does your blood run thick with divinity? When have you ever been deserving of your title and station? Everything you have you owe to a greater, better you from a time before this one. One of low station who dared to believe in the best of those around them, one who reached above the muddy streets of peasantry and clasped tight the divine right to rule through the compassion, Grace and sincerity towards their peers. So you are exalted of the dragon; what have you done lately!?"

somehow (charms, it was charms) he walked away with an ally instead of an enemy.

My Homebrew: Architect of the Regal Puppet Style (WIP) || Monkey Style (obsolete) || Radiant Halo of Incanescent Might || Pale Driver, Ruination of the Edifice of Tyranny || Sublime Percussion, Just a Whole lot of Fun || Idris, The Graceful Heart of Purpose

Comment

I’m in favour of Dragon-Blooded being ‘worthy’ but it’s more accurate to say that I’ve never really written an NPC as unworthy. If a character is a couch potato or a drug addict then that’s a vice and potentially a crippling one but it's not their raison d'être.

I'm sure actually worthless people exist, but as people I intend to have a character sheet for? Not worth the effort.

Onyx Path Forums Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

I ran quite a few Dragon Blooded games during 1st and 2nd edition, and my group ran into out-of-game issues with this idea - what makes someone Exalt as a Dragon Blooded. Is it their genetics? Or is it because they're worthy? First Edition pushed the idea that it was more due to bloodline, whereas 2nd edition made it a matter of personal worth (with the idea that all DB's needed to have a heroic motivation).

What we ended up doing was settling on a mixture of the two. Certainly ones "genetics" are paramount. In the good old days, when the Dragon Blooded bloodlines were 100% pure, every child born to them would Exalt. On the other hand, if someone has absolutely no drop of Terrestrial blood in their background, it's simply impossible for them to Exalt as a Dragon Blooded.

What my group ended up going with was the idea that when you're born, the cosmos (or Fate or what will you) essentially rolls the dice to see if you're going to Exalt as a Dragon Blooded or not. The more pure your bloodline is, the higher the chance. If it fails however, that's not necessarily the end.

When someone finds themself in an extremely stressful situation or pushes themselves beyond their usual limits (physically, mentally or however) they effectively get a "reroll" - the stress can cause their nascent Terrestrial heritage to assert itself and allow them to Exalt.

What this ended up meaning was that some Dragon Blooded were entirely unworthy of the blessings they had received. They were cowards, fools, and wastrels who had Exalted only because mummy and daddy had a good background. At the same time though, there were other Dragon Blooded who had Exalted because they had done something "heroic" in a sense and managed to earn their Exaltation. And importantly, there was absolutely no way to show whether someone had "earned" their Exaltation or been "gifted" it purely due to the vagaries of their parental lineage.

Most Dragon Blooded (in the Realm) put it all up to personal worth - "In my past life I did such a great job that I was blessed to be born into a Great House, which then had me face a second test to actually Exalted. My personal actions ensured I was Exalted so I earned it."

This allowed our group to have it both ways, with bloodline being a factor but personal worth also being a factor.

As to eldagusto's idea, I would probably play with the idea that the bloodlines of Dragon Blooded have been strengthening for the last half-century or so, and children are more likely to Exalted than before (both in the Realm and out of it). Nobody has any idea why this is or what happened. The Immaculate Order has all kinds of notions and ideas, but nobody can definitive prove anything one way or another.
          That's....really cool!

One thought I've had regarding an increase in dragonbloodedness was the discovery of some long forgotten, no longer adequately defended, literal 'blood of the dragons'.

A substance born of the elemental dragons with which the first terrestrials were blessed. This small cache was a contingency for the potential event of the blood of the dragons thinning so much that even the worthy could not exalt. A sort of very, very small scale 'restart button'. It was hidden through a complicated geomantic trick which...broke during the contagion and balorian crusade, scattering it around a bit. Much of it is probably buried in caverns where even the mountain folk dare not tread, but some may be undiscovered in obscure corners of the world.
          All across creation, there should be a sufficient quantity to coin five hundred new terrestrials, as in the beginning.

...now that I think about it, that also opens up a niche for Dragons of Another Color's origin - a small amount of the blood of the dragons came into the hands of the underworld, or a necromancer, and was death tainted. Then...the resultant bloodlines just ended up getting diluted a lot.

But anyways, for those who discover any sort of cache of this blood, the potential exists to endow a mortal with the original purity of the corresponding dragon's gift. Potentially more, but creation's a big place. Probably a lot of it stuck on the firmament, to be frank.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
            I’m in favour of Dragon-Blooded being ‘worthy’ but it’s more accurate to say that I’ve never really written an NPC as unworthy. If a character is a couch potato or a drug addict then that’s a vice and potentially a crippling one but it's not their raison d'être.

I'm sure actually worthless people exist, but as people I intend to have a character sheet for? Not worth the effort.
            Some people like statements that don't appear to have any substance to them beyond "I can argue about this on the internet".

Comment

Reading about various points in the history of dynastic struggles in the Arabian peninsula, I had this image of a certain contemporary surge in Dragon Blooded numbers not as a result of spiritual factors, but because of certain agitations leading to families descended from Exalted either discovering the fact or being threatened enough to capitalise on it, and having worked hard and cooperatively to bring families together to a degree sufficient to starting to yield some Exalted again.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Would some sort of Genetic Essence trst be involved?

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
                  As I view it as entirely genetic, I dont like the idea od Dragonblooded Exalting in connection to the Solars either. For something like that to happen, there woyld need to be some preplanned events of Social engineering, Eugenics, or epic Fate manipulation. And all of it at least a decade and a half before the Solar Reemergence. Which would have needed to be predicted to put this in place. So that makes it unlikely to me
                  Whats to say that some Gold Faction Sidereals didnt manipulate Fate and arrange for the proper couples to meet over the last couple of hundred years in preparation for the return of their Solar masters? It could have been arranged so that the Solars could eventually gather together an army of Terrestrials not loyal to the Imperial Dynasty, to assist them in reconquering the Threshold.

Comment

You don't need to be loyal to the Realm specifically to be loyal to the widespread cultural narrative that defines you as the highest level of spiritual sophistication.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                    X