Magical Materials in 3E

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magical Materials in 3E

Are Exalts not bound by MMs anymore? A Solar can use a Jade Daiklave and an Abyssal use a Moonsilver Axe without penalty? It seems like MMs really only come into play when utilizing Evocations...is this right or am I ready it wrong?

The description of each Artifact generally tells you which types of Exalted can pay extra to attune to it extra-hard to gain a special power just for attuning it. Solars get to enjoy the bonus to potentially anything. Also, word from the developers is that we'll be getting some slightly different mechanics for Artifact powers when Arms of the Chosen drops.

Comment

Solars can use every MM without penalty, though in fluff they still have a particular liking for orichalcum. Other Exalts may end up having some kind of restrictions or disincentives based on MM, but we don't really know anything at this point. And yes, evocations are the 'only' time when MM becomes relevant, though the difference between a blue jade daiklave that propels its wielder through the air at tremendous speed and blasts people with lightning and a soulsteel one that infects anyone injured by it with a supernatural disease that eats away at their soul until it's entirely consumed and they become a murderous zombie-like husk is quite a bit bigger than the difference between one daiklave with some small stat boosts and another with some different small stat boosts.

Infernals - To Rule in Hell (complete first draft)
      3e Dragon Kings (complete)
      My martial arts (includes Eye of Heaven, White Veil, Obsidian Shards and more)

Comment

They also, to a small degree, come up in the craft system where certain materials are better for some things than others. Blue jade is one of the most favored for flying artifacts while orichalcum is most useful for sorcery (among other things for both of course) If you think of each non-weapon artifacts power as its sole evocation it sort of holds for the kinds of things materials are good for.

Comment

Thank you guys. Exactly what i need! Cheers! 🍻

Comment

Originally posted by Cydoc View Post
            It seems like MMs really only come into play when utilizing Evocations...is this right or am I ready it wrong?
            You are indeed correct, but the way you've worded it kinda downplays the significance of Evocations.

I'm somewhat reminded of the various Power Rings in the DCU: cosmetically, they seem very similar, and indeed, they hold a lot of abilities in common, but once you put the rings on and start figuring out how they work, a blue and a yellow one are going to give you very different results. (Plus, two different users - even with the same ring held - are going to figure out a few different tricks with them.)
            Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 03-13-2017, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
              You are indeed correct, but the way you've worded it kinda downplays the significance of Evocations.

I'm somewhat reminded of the various Power Rings in the DCU: cosmetically, they seem very similar, and indeed, they hold a lot of abilities in common, but once you put the rings on and start figuring out how they work, a blue and a yellow one are going to give you very different results. (Plus, even the same ring held by two different users are going to figure out a few different tricks with them.)
              That is a fair point. I haven't messed with evocations much, and probably won't until Arms of the Chosen comes out. So that may have influenced my wording a little :P

Comment

If you just want a Daiklave for the +3 to hit and +12 to Withering damage and the +1 Defense... Yeah, the Materials aren't restricted by Exalt Type anymore.

And when I saw this, my reaction was basically "Oh wow... I did NOT realize how much I wouldn't miss that until now!"

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                  If you just want a Daiklave for the +3 to hit and +12 to Withering damage and the +1 Defense... Yeah, the Materials aren't restricted by Exalt Type anymore.

And when I saw this, my reaction was basically "Oh wow... I did NOT realize how much I wouldn't miss that until now!"
                  Yeah, my group was a bit disappointed that there's basically no difference between magical materials, unless you feel like investing in (and designing and balancing) Evocations which none of my players wanted to bother with.

I'm considering, when we play Exalted again, coming up with some minor tricks to mechanically differentiate artifact weapons and armor made out of one magical material from another.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

Yeah, my group was a bit disappointed that there's basically no difference between magical materials, unless you feel like investing in (and designing and balancing) Evocations which none of my players wanted to bother with.

I'm considering, when we play Exalted again, coming up with some minor tricks to mechanically differentiate artifact weapons and armor made out of one magical material from another.
                    A lot of artifacts get their first evocation free. You could design one interesting effect per artifact and call it a day. Also, keep in mind that Solars are the ones who have the faculty with all materials. Other splats apparently wont.

Comment

Most of the example artifacts have an attunement bonus granted for an extra mote investment and only if you're the correct exalt type (typically listed in the bonus description). I would not assume that this bonus requires any evocation investment, short of the bonuses that actually grant evocations themselves. That's the base level I'd typically grant an Exalt.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                      I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Working...
                      X