Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would a French braid be, in Creation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would a French braid be, in Creation?

And I guess as a follow-up question, because my phone really, really wants me to ask, what would a French bread be, in Creation? I feel like there are tons more of these.

I draw things! Wanna check it out? Click on the link below!
    http://kiwi665.deviantart.com/

YES! I do commissions!

It'd be a French braid, because people in Creation don't speak English and "French braid" is the English term for whatever the hell they call that in, I dunno, Riverspeak.

Yeah, there's tons of those. The only ones really worth fixing are the ones where fixing it says something about the setting, like how Creation has blue light districts instead of red light districts on account of how the Maiden of Serenity's associated color is cerulean.

(See also: Creation's years have more days than Earth years, and its days are the same length as Earth days, and yet a sixteen-year-old is a sixteen-year-old and a ninety-year-old is a ninety-year-old because Jesus Christ can you imagine having to do that sort of math conversion every time you describe a character's age?)
    Last edited by Stephen Lea Sheppard; 03-13-2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

French braid, or French bread? Both of those are things.

For bread, just have some location have a standardized bread recipe from rationing that turned out pretty tasty, and name it after that place.

For the braid, you could simply try to come up with a description of that style's unique elements in three words or less, and use that as a name.

Comment

What is a "French braid"?

Comment

Originally posted by Colognian View Post

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
          I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
              It'd be a French braid, because people in Creation don't speak English and "French braid" is the English term for whatever the hell they call that in, I dunno, Riverspeak.
              ​I get what you're saying, but I would personally find the reference to a real life place such as this in-character to be really distracting, especially if I can't find a compelling reason for characters to call it anything other than "a braid" in the first place.

​It's a different matter if a Storyteller is narrating a description of a person in order to give an image (which also helps the distinction for a blue light district, because it's going to be a different actual colour), but otherwise I think terminology like this should be simplified.

Maybe it's arbitrary to make a distinction between a proper noun like this and, say, anybody ever using the term "boycott", but there it is.

​Actually, better example; I would be reasonably okay with somebody making an offhand reference to a sparkling wine as champagne despite the lack of the eponymous province of France, through a combination of the word itself having drifted fully into everyday language, and my presumption that a significant number of English speaking people or unaware of the etymology or associated place.

Originally posted by JTroy
              what would a French bread be, in Creation
              ​Well, do you have an image of any place in Creation that would be noted for the kind of bread it has produced? Or, if you're talking specifically about baguettes and things, I would just say pick a place at random that you would designate as making long, thing loaves of crusty bread, and just name it after that.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Just for context, I'm not making some sort of complaint. The tone was meant to be read as a potential thought exercise that might be fun. French braid vs French bread was an autocorrect error that I found amusing and also relevant.

YES! I do commissions!

Comment

Probably something Northern, like a "Whitewall Twist".

Comment

Food culture is a little detail that I've paid attention to since one of my players made a solar food artisan, with a preference for Western cuisine(salt is the queen of spices), but based in the South. A lot of little logistics had to be figured out along the way, and we ended up with a journal of in game logistics and language that we still use.

YES! I do commissions!

Comment

Originally posted by JTroy View Post
                      Food culture is a little detail that I've paid attention to since one of my players made a solar food artisan, with a preference for Western cuisine(salt is the queen of spices), but based in the South. A lot of little logistics had to be figured out along the way, and we ended up with a journal of in game logistics and language that we still use.

In my games, it largely depends on the Direction, but most "common people" are going to eat staple foods in three main groups: Bread, Brews and Broth. The wealthier you are, the more meat gets added.

Some form of grain/starch-based-good, like, uh, bread, noodles, pasta, or something like Succotash.

Some form of beverage, like alcohol or teas, consumed primarily to ensure water is safe to drink, as opposed to intoxication

Some form of soup, made from animal or plant-broth.

In many cases, these food "types" will be mixed together in a "hot pot" style meal, like pottage (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pottage), just to make preparation and consumption easier.

Finally, I tend to have a lot of Colombian (aka New World) crops spread across Creation, like Flint Maize, potatoes, beans, pumpkins and other squash, sunflowers, etc. The "Three Sisters" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_...s_(agriculture) are extremely common, and cultivated pretty much anywhere they will grow, along with potatoes.

I also tend to have a lot of terraced fields (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrace_(agriculture)) spread around, a leftover of the Shogunate, in order to take advantage of substandard growing lands.

Comment

I think some words tend to stick out less than others. Calling something a coup is fine, but french braid is distracting. I fully appreciate that, and I do think Boston's suggestion of something like a Whitewall Twist is a cute way around this sort of issue. You do need to repeat it though or offer an aside to your players to get the point across though.

Doing that with too many things can be nightmarish, but little things like drugs or hairstyles seem pretty forgivable to me.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

I find these little linguistic questions to be opportunities for bits of flavor and comedy. One of the characters in the game I run referred to making a town they rule over a, "Mecca for learning." They then immediately reversed track and said that that wouldn't make sense, but instead I said that the Mecca Temple is somewhere in the Blessed Isle which is a common pilgrimage site for faithful immaculates, and that referring to somewhere as a 'Mecca' had seeped into other languages. There are plenty of chances like that that give everyone at the table a little chuckle.

As for a French braid, I'd be tempted to say that it's a hairstyle currently popular in Grieve, referred to by people in, say, Wu Jian or Fortitude slightly mockingly as a 'Grieve Weave.' That might be because my game is set in the North, and I have the conception that Grieve is a center of culture and fashion in the same vein as the French have, broadly. But something about that hairstyle does whisper 'North' to me.

Comment

Originally posted by JTroy View Post
                            I don't suppose you could post that?

Placeholder

Comment

My group found that taking names from the real world and trying to "reflavor" them to a different setting just caused headaches. We had so many issues of that back when we were playing D&D. With Creation, we ended up just having a running joke where anything named after a real-life place in our world is instead named after Nexus in Creation. So an English muffin would be called a Nexus muffin, and a French kiss would be called a Nexus kiss and Russian vodka is Nexus vodka.

But then, you ask, what happens when you're talking about Italian bread and French bread? How can they both be Nexus bread? Then you need to say you want some South Nexus bread or West Nexus bread.

Comment

Working...
                              X