How are the corpse elements?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    I'm personally more inclined to attribute the rebellion to things along the lines of the Solars increasingly accumulating power in a way that disrupted and offended the aristocratic ambitions of influential and conservative Dragon Blooded, as well as persistently blocking movements attempting to create greater recognition of and influence for the Dragon Blooded contributions to the Realm which caused a lot of resentment among their young turks.
    Of course without details all that is saying is that the Usurpation is every successful revolution ever. Though without knowing how the government accumulated power and blocked those movements we can only pretend to understand the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaque View Post

That's how I liked it. Instead of it having some secret origin of Solar eugenics, it was fine I think for some to just have a talent for it. I think part of my annoyance is that 1) It created a narrative of Terrestrials as disposable (which I tend to nowadays vehemently oppose, and I think that even the number of DBs in DotFA was contributing to this) 2) It assumed that DBs could just be told to lay over and get geneticlaly modified like breeds of dogs or cats and 3) It was something that probably didn't need a unified origin. It was a bit where the book took a neat setting element and decided it had to be tied to Solars in the First Age.

I will say though that I love the aesthetic of dragons of a different color. To the point that a pretty regular NPC in my games is an Air-Aspected necromancer who's anima has cold cyan Old Realm runes and whispers forming around her when she puts her anima up because that shit is cool.

As a bit on the theme of the thread itself, I actually think that the corpse elements described in the Abyssals splats are kind of better myself. If only since jade and prayer are more tangible than void and ash and feel more evocative in the nature of the Underworld as alien and ghostly.

And stuff.
      Its been a long time since I read Dreams, but I think the narrative would work fine if it was something DB did to themselves in a bid to expand their versitility or to access new power which the Celestial Exalts had a relative disadvantage in. Also, since the Solars appear to have been modifying everyone, including themselves, so that isn't particularly dehumanizing unless people of the Sky were also laying over like dogs instead of especially favored.

I agree on the lack of the need for a unified origin.

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post

Its been a long time since I read Dreams, but I think the narrative would work fine if it was something DB did to themselves in a bid to expand their versitility or to access new power which the Celestial Exalts had a relative disadvantage in. Also, since the Solars appear to have been modifying everyone, including themselves, so that isn't particularly dehumanizing unless people of the Sky were also laying over like dogs instead of especially favored.

I agree on the lack of the need for a unified origin.
        Versatility is the main point of my question. DB of the other elements would be inclined to defend Creation because they are exalted just as the natives would attack Gaia if she turned against Creation. A taboo about exotic DB would be a storyteller choice rather than a scenario setting.

Comment

It's easy to imagine Dragons of a Different Color arising naturally (maybe some Dragon Blooded explorers spent too much time in the Labyrinth or something). It's also possible to imagine it occurring because of the actions of the Dragon Blooded themselves (maybe a specific Gens who intentionally twisted their own bloodline with Underworld Essence).

Saying, "The Solars did it," is kind of a cop out, but is fine if there's no single official explanation and we then get three or four alternative options for STs to use their own games. Ultimately the origination of the Dragons of a Different Color is the kind of thing that really doesn't need any single, explanation that is given to us in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
            Frankly I'd rather just not have Dragons of a Different Color be a disparate thing from regular Dragon-Blooded. Sometimes a dude just feels inclined to learn necromancy instead of sorcery.
            Seeing people treat Dragons of Another Colour like Abyssal Dragon-Blooded has led to me to conclude that Necromancy (as it existed in 1st and 2nd edition) is at odds with Abyssals being their own splat because it's billed as this character defining dark power that makes the character something of a pariah and is tainting the world even if they use it for altruistic reasons. There was a vague difference of stolen power vs. slavery but MoEP: Abyssal framed the former so much in the context of "we wanted you to do that, mwahaha!" that the difference seems minimal.

It’s fuelling my preference for treating necromancy as a death themed approach to sorcery.

Onyx Path Forums Moderator

Comment

If Necromancy has different initiations like Sorcery, that might be a cool way of expressing it, and could possibly open up potential subtle differences, taint storylines and dark mote-gathering techniques really nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleverest of Things View Post
                If Necromancy has different initiations like Sorcery, that might be a cool way of expressing it, and could possibly open up potential subtle differences, taint storylines and dark mote-gathering techniques really nicely.
                You'd need to overhaul it drastically for those kinds of distinctions to matter.
                As much as the books say "it's not evil sorcery" it is evil sorcery, the further you progress through the circles the more you need human sacrifices and the approval of the Neverborn to use spells.

Onyx Path Forums Moderator

Comment

Working...
                X