Claw Strider Packs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claw Strider Packs

Okay in our last game we had issues with handling a clawstrider pack. The Clawstrider section seems to be written with the idea that you should use individual clawstriders rather then stat a pack as a battle group. Like how would you even use the Distraction power if you used them as a battle group?

If demons and monster use battle groups it seemed to me animals should as well so I made the 7 clawstrider pack in the game a battlegroup.

One thing that was weird and I was requested to ask you SMRT folks is how should I handle something like this, basically its a pack tactic were the whole circles around a character, particularly a prone one and they each grab ahold of an item and run off with it. Basically the Twilight of the group was seperated from everyone and he made a bunch of Brass Bamboo weapons, so two Falchions, a Claymore, a Halbeard, a Battleaxe, and a Bow, and Clawstrider pack knocked him down. They then on the next turn used a group tactic and each grabbed one of his weapons and cheesed it into the woods. These were supernaturally trained Clawstriders, with at least one of the members possessed by the mind of a blood sucking Monster.

I winged it since they were a battlegroup and those can't do gambits I had it as a strategy I improvised. How would you design the roll?

It is a time for great deeds!

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    Okay in our last game we had issues with handling a clawstrider pack. The Clawstrider section seems to be written with the idea that you should use individual clawstriders rather then stat a pack as a battle group. Like how would you even use the Distraction power if you used them as a battle group?
    Have one or more individual claw striders in addition to the battle group.

One thing that was weird and I was requested to ask you SMRT folks is how should I handle something like this, basically its a pack tactic were the whole circles around a character, particularly a prone one and they each grab ahold of an item and run off with it. Basically the Twilight of the group was seperated from everyone and he made a bunch of Brass Bamboo weapons, so two Falchions, a Claymore, a Halbeard, a Battleaxe, and a Bow, and Clawstrider pack knocked him down. They then on the next turn used a group tactic and each grabbed one of his weapons and cheesed it into the woods. These were supernaturally trained Clawstriders, with at least one of the members possessed by the mind of a blood sucking Monster.

I winged it since they were a battlegroup and those can't do gambits I had it as a strategy I improvised. How would you design the roll?
    Why would they need to roll to pick up an item without someone denying them? I don't make Barbus' player roll to pick up a table leg to crack over a DB's skull.

Comment

Because the items are on the Player, and normally its gambit territory.

And I was thinking about having Clawstriders in addition to the battlegroup but the Authors have specifically said that goes against the idea of Battle groups.

Comment

Oh, it's on the character. I thought they were just around him. That is a very solidly-armed PC.

​And a pack having a leader isn't "against the idea of battle groups."

​Seriously, you wanna do gambits, have a leader to execute the gambits while the rank-and-file pull off the mundane attacks.
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 03-20-2017, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Having the possessed claw strider be the leader (and maybe have it stand out a little, visually) sounds like a fitting idea!

Yeah, maybe you could make a custom gambit for the pack leader, using their initiative, representing them giving the command but the pack acting the theft out description-wise/in game-wise? (Maybe the amount of successes indicates how many of them succeeds in getting a thing)

On a diferent note! Can't battle groups do gambits?
          I was under the impression that it was just grapples they couldn't do (instead using their own pinning-down (or what it's called) gambit).But I must have misread it or missed something, I feel like...

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
            On a diferent note! Can't battle groups do gambits?
            Although grapple actions are called out as a notable exception to battle groups being able to take most actions available to characters, it is unclear whether other gambits are permissible. However, there is nothing in writing explicitly prohibiting their usability, if you can work out how they should work with the battlegroup's Inert Initiative. On the other claw, gambits are special decisive attacks and battlegroups may only make withering attacks, so many read that as an implicit prevention.
            Originally posted by Kim View Post
            I was under the impression that it was just grapples they couldn't do (instead using their own pinning-down (or what it's called) gambit).But I must have misread it or missed something, I feel like...
            It is called Engage.
            Last edited by Greyman; 03-20-2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
              Although grapple actions are called out as a notable exception to battle groups being able to take most actions available to characters, it is unclear whether other gambits are permissible. However, there is nothing in writing explicitly prohibiting their usability, if you can work out how they should work with the battlegroup's Inert Initiative. On the other claw, gambits are special decisive attacks and battlegroups may only make withering attacks, so many read that as an implicit prevention.
              Ah, that makes sense!

Thinking about it, I wonder if the Area Attacks-rule and making gambits might cause problems, too. (haven't read the rules in a while)
              Last edited by Kim; 03-20-2017, 11:57 AM.

Comment

about having Clawstriders in addition to the battlegroup
                I always have a leader separate from the battlegroup whenever battlegroups come up. To make command actions and represent a tactical head to cut off for the players if nothing else.

This doesn't solve your 'rank and file steal stuff' problem - perhaps just cancel a withering attack's initiative damage and take that many objects instead, with an appropriate stunt to explain to the players that their claws and fangs sought the items instead of their dismemberment... that time.

Exalted Fanfiction on AO3 that I have authored. A Lunar oral history, a Solar buddy-fiction, and other story hooks.

Comment

Thank you this has been a very helpful thread! Seriously.

It seemed like an obvious mistake now I should have leaders stand out with battlegroups, I'll do this from now on. Yeah make a withering role for the steal stuff seems pretty good idea.

On a normal gambit how would you handle stealing stuff, like someone has a bunch of weapons and you nab one or two off their back, it isn't a normal disarm.

What about pack tactics to do this like loosen armor/rip off pieces of armor to lower armor rating?

Comment

On a normal gambit how would you handle stealing stuff, like someone has a bunch of weapons and you nab one or two off their back, it isn't a normal disarm.
                    I might adjust the difficulty based on how the item is attached to the character. If it's strapped on, I don't see why it would be any easier than a disarm. Honestly, I'd probably model this exactly as a Disarm.

What about pack tactics to do this like loosen armor/rip off pieces of armor to lower armor rating?
                    There's definitely no rules for this, but it sounds awesome. Basically you'll just need to come up with a gambit difficulty that's equal to the penalty being applied. If you do a gambit that lowers armored soak by say 2 permanently? That's not bad. Maybe difficulty 3 gambit? 4 tops. The trick to remember with gambit difficulty is compare difficulty to the number of health levels of damage you could be dealing instead if you'd done a normal decisive attack.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Maybe similar to having a commander, having multiple BGs represent the pack. One group does their distract type maneuver to open up for the other group.

Not too dissimilar to having a Melee BG and an Archery BG.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Whether to BG them or not can also be impacted by how many of them there are. I would totally assume a pack of 3 or 4 Claw Striders works as a pack (and obviously benefits from a Distract gambit), but I wouldn't BG a group of 4 personally.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                        I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

If you want an encounter with a few individual claw striders which are dangerous as a group but don't want them all to be one-shotted as a Size 1 Battlegroup, then run one of them as a credible threat and the other 2-3 as trivial opponents. They'll have an Initiative of 0 which means unless they crash you you'll likely act first, and your withering will hit their health directly. This is essentially the building individuals as battlegroup idea.

It will make them very dangerous to something which doesn't have an onslaught negator, but that can be cool. It certainly models a different kind of fight that's more personally threatening, like fighting the enemy general and his honor guard in a way that doesn't completely freeze you out with the force multiplier alone.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Working...
                          X