X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arms of the Chosen Preview

https://www.dropbox.com/s/15xddoahze...view.docx?dl=0

Super cool preview courtesy of our new devs, Robert Vance and Eric Minton

I love the details about non-Exalted and attunement as well. Don't suppose you guys could give us any insight into what makes Resonant Evocations different and what the Dissonant Keyword means?

<3

Iron Leaf Kon walked through Akavadra’s storms unscathed, made untouchable to the demon’s fury by virtue of his pure heart.

Stone Leaf Kon never drew Stormcaller from its sheathe, but instead passed it onto the young reincarnation of his Circle’s Dawn, Rusal Ji, hoping that both hero and demon might learn from each other.
    And that's the story of how Vance beat Neall's record for fastest developer to get fired.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
    [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
    [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Originally posted by Tiresias View Post

And that's the story of how Vance beat Neall's record for fastest developer to get fired.
      Holy shit.

Anyway, I'm really liking the fluff so far. I'm definitely going to use Stormcaller sometime.

As for Resonant and Dissonant Evocations, I'm thinking it's exactly what it says on the tin. A Solar is "Resonant" to all the Magical Materials. I'm guessing Resonant Evocations are powerful, great big Solar level evocations, while Dissonant Evocations are weaker, terrestrial level evocations.

Comment

Yeah, it looks like Resonant and Dissonant are straight-up the Mastery and Terrestrial keywords for Evocations.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

A good, simple system that solves that problem in a fun way.

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
            A good, simple system that solves that problem in a fun way.
            I like that it is simple, whether you can take a evocation or not is just determined by it's prerequisites like any other charm. If you want to gate something away to only certain exalt's you can just insert a splat specific pre-requisite like "hungry tiger technique" in Stormcaller's tree which sets aside the last three charms for them.

I don't think I want to see evocations that just say "exalts who are dissonant with this artifact cannot learn this evocation" or "only exalts who are resonant with this artifact can learn this evocation", if they are going to be gated it should be because they need something outside of the tree to make them work, otherwise I am ok with the MA model where you can get all the evocations but they might not all be as powerful depending on your splat.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiresias View Post

oh god I fucked up I fucked up I fucked up

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by SpruceStripedGoose View Post
                I don't think I want to see evocations that just say "exalts who are dissonant with this artifact cannot learn this evocation" or "only exalts who are resonant with this artifact can learn this evocation", if they are going to be gated it should be because they need something outside of the tree to make them work, otherwise I am ok with the MA model where you can get all the evocations but they might not all be as powerful depending on your splat.
                I'll be honest with you: there are gonna be a couple things that are gated off from Exalted who are dissonant with the material. This is mostly because a lot of artifacts are going to have capstone Evocations that are incredibly powerful, and sometimes there isn't an elegant way to gate it behind a Solar Charm. I don't think there will be stuff that requires resonance to learn—that's just too steep.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

I found the 'era' label to be interesting, will this be a trend to artifacts from now on? I hope it is even if it has no direct mechanic effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                    I'll be honest with you: there are gonna be a couple things that are gated off from Exalted who are dissonant with the material. This is mostly because a lot of artifacts are going to have capstone Evocations that are incredibly powerful, and sometimes there isn't an elegant way to gate it behind a Solar Charm. I don't think there will be stuff that requires resonance to learn—that's just too steep.
                    That makes sense I guess particularly for Solar level evocations, Solar charms are pretty vanilla so I can see how it could be difficult to tie them naturally to more out there evocations.

Comment

OH! Not being resonant doesn't mean you're dissonant, I didn't catch that the first time through. I'm really glad Solars are getting something to show how they're the masters of Evocations just like they're the masters of martial arts. It felt kind of weird that the corebook didn't so much deliver on that end quite as elegantly as it did with MA.

Comment

Hm... How does Stormcaller's Sheathing Attack effect interact with the fluff of the Single Point Style of sheathing one's blade after every strike? Can it be assumed that there's a difference between casually sheathing the blade for an instant attack and deliberately sealing away the storm?

Edit:

DrLoveMonkey - Yeah, it's not that there's two levels, Resonant and Dissonant. There's actually THREE levels.

1. Resonant - The material/artifact LIKES an Exalt type
                        2. Normal - The material/artifact neither loves the Exalt type nor hates them
                        3. Dissonant - The material/artifact does NOT play nice with your Essence

Man, Liminals kinda get the shaft when it comes to Evocations. I guess this means that their abilities compensate.
                        Last edited by Kyman201; 03-28-2017, 01:32 AM.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Gigaton-Falcon-Emu View Post
                          I found the 'era' label to be interesting, will this be a trend to artifacts from now on? I hope it is even if it has no direct mechanic effect.
                          Yes, it's a neat bit of flavor.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                            Hm... How does Stormcaller's Sheathing Attack effect interact with the fluff of the Single Point Style of sheathing one's blade after every strike? Can it be assumed that there's a difference between casually sheathing the blade for an instant attack and deliberately sealing away the storm?
                            Practicing iaijutsu with Stormcaller is extremely inadvisable.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                              Yes, it's a neat bit of flavor.
                              Man, nothing but good news today!

Also is it fair to say that Deathlords count as one of the exceptions and are resonant with Soulsteel?
                              Last edited by Gigaton-Falcon-Emu; 03-28-2017, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X