Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunder the Gold
    • Nov 2013

An artifact weapon could give an Exalt the Rally mechanic from Bloodborne, where you have a small window of time in which to recover the health you lost by attacking other creatures and ripping the flesh and blood from them. It would be a weapon that seeks to hunt and kill, and which rewards its master for aggressively pursuing and attacking their prey to death.

Does this strike y'all as moonsilver or strictly soulsteel?

Ideally, it would be a form of polearm, to make it compatible with White Reaper Style. Either as the Burial Blade or the Hunter's Axe, though the Church Pick might also work.

formerly Tornado Wolf, formerly Inugami

Comment

• Fata-Ku
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
      An artifact weapon could give an Exalt the Rally mechanic from Bloodborne, where you have a small window of time in which to recover the health you lost by attacking other creatures and ripping the flesh and blood from them. It would be a weapon that seeks to hunt and kill, and which rewards its master for aggressively pursuing and attacking their prey to death.

Ideally, it would be a form of polearm, to make it compatible with White Reaper Style. Either as the Burial Blade or the Hunter's Axe, though the Church Pick might also work.
      It seems to me like such a Moonsilver artifact might be more about embracing the pain, e.g. generating initiative when damaged or creating temporary HP, more than siphoning health.

Bearer of the legacy of Trauma Bear
      Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

• ElOhTeeBee
        • Nov 2013

I'd be pretty comfortable allowing it as either. The system's meant to have a bit of flexibility.

Comment

• wern212
          • Sep 2015

Question: does Heaven-Defying Trickster’s Staff allow you to assume a Martial Arts Form Charm in addition to the action you take in frozen time,or is it instead of the action?

Comment

• AtG
            • Mar 2015

Instead of. It lifts the restriction on using Simple type Charms, which all Form Charms are.

Comment

• Sunder the Gold
              • Nov 2013

isn't Stormcaller easily converted into a Blue Jade reaper daiklaive which can have its top Evocations gated by Dragon-Blooded Charms?
              Originally posted by CycloneJoker View Post
              Hm, gating stuff behind DB charms wouldn't be a bad idea for certain jade artifacts in general, I'd say.
              There are limits even to Solar excellence. Solars do not have the souls of Dragons, and reasonably cannot meet the highest Elemental demands of Jade
              Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
              Hold on to this idea, and once we start previewing the Dragon-Blooded Charms, come back to it.
              Revisiting this idea now that we've had previews into some really powerful and exciting elemental Dragon-Blooded Charms.

Comment

• Hark
                • Nov 2013

I'm going to go ahead and say that if Evocations are somehow locked behind the charms of another Exalt, then Solars should have methods of bypassing said restriction. Mastery of artifacts and evocations is supposed to be one of their things.

Comment

• BrilliantRain
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Hark View Post
                  I'm going to go ahead and say that if Evocations are somehow locked behind the charms of another Exalt, then Solars should have methods of bypassing said restriction. Mastery of artifacts and evocations is supposed to be one of their things.
                  I could imagine an Evocation that would be pointless for a Solar to grab, whether they could or not. For example, if a red Jade Daiklave had an evocation locked behind the DB charm that lets you create a sword out of fire and it upgraded the charm so the Daiklave got any useful benefits from the Fire Sword charm. Or something. It would make sense for that Evocation to be locked behind a DB charm, since it could only benefit DBs.

Comment

• Mizu
                    • Nov 2013

I would be alright if some artifacts are so closely designed with a certain exalt type in mind that some of their evocations can be learned by solars but would be worthless to them because they enhance a charm solars don't have. There is no law of physics demanding that all artifacts must be first and foremost designed for ease of solar usage. Not sure how I feel about outright barring them from learning them (even if practically there is little difference between 'can learn it but its useless to them' and 'can't learn it' since the end result of the solar not being able to use it is the same).

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade
                    Senator of the Greater Chamber
                    Champion of the Silver Pact
                    Chosen of the Little Gods
                    Agent of Fate

Comment

• Ren9077
                      • Dec 2014

Keep in mind that the presented Evocations are not the only Evocations that an Artifact could have, but only an example set. If there is a set of Evocations only useful for a specific Exalt type, then Exalted of other types would learn different Evocations instead. Homebrew is not a trivial feat, but it's an option.

Comment

• Sunder the Gold
                        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Hark View Post
                        So is mastery of Martial Arts, but they can't make or teach Sidereal Martial Arts and they don't get any Mastery keyworded effects with the Immaculate Dragon Styles.

Solar Exalted are resonant with every magical material, achieve Mastery with every (other) Style, can learn Sidereal Martial Arts, are the only splat in the game who can cast Solar Circle Sorcery, have the highest dice-caps, Supernal Abilities, eight potential Caste Abilities per Caste, FIVE selectable out-of-Caste Abilities to favor, and generally the most powerful Charms in the game with effects like Wyld Shaping Technique.

Please let other splats have their own toys.

Comment

• TalosX
                          • Jan 2014

Please let other splats have their own toys.
                          Solar's don't wield raw elemental power, or swap between aura's to change the affects of their charms. They don't use astrology or, as you said, create and master sidereal martial arts. They aren't master shapeshifters, apex predators, or terrifying god-monsters either. One thing they are is undisputed masters of evocations. So this isn't a discussion on "letting other splats have their toys". It's a discussion on limiting the Solar's from using their toys!

Gating evocations for a specific splat sounds like a really bad idea. I don't care if you're a Solar, Lunar, Dragonblood, etc. If you're Resonant with an artifact, you should be able to purchase all of it's evocations limited at that point only by Essence ratings. If you really think about it, the greatest artificers are Solar's, and they're masters of evocations. Allowing a splat to gate evocations could very well lead to a lot of Solar-only evocations (and likely on the coolest evocations). I personally think that would be a shame!

Comment

• CycloneJoker
                            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by TalosX View Post
                            *snip*
                            If I remember right, Solar-only evocations already exist, don't they?

I don't really have a problem with some high-rating jade artifacts having Evocations that require a DB charm, in that light. As I mentioned before. And I'm as big a Solar fanboy as it gets. XD

"Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

Now...count up all your sins.

Comment

• Blaque
                              • Nov 2013

It's the similar thing with MAs some again. Solars already have mastery of pretty much every single Artifact not called out for another being. I don't see why this suddenly means that Artifacts cannot have things Solars have. This idea that "master of Artifacts" means that there is simply no effect at all a Solar can't get out of an Artifact seems a bit overstepping.

If i can use the Resonance effect of every single Artifact in existance, yet there is still a subset of Evocations that I can't really get, I still have the best ability to use more of the infinite other Reosnant effects of every other thing in existance. If I am able to read every language on Earth save I dunno, Thai, I would think that I still probably have a pretty good mastery of written language.

Or in short, Solars having general mastery of things don't give them carte blance access to always have the absolute best version of every thing.

And stuff.
                              My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Isator Levi
                                • Nov 2013

I can see arguments in either direction, and no matter what it does it's likely to upset somebody*, so my own attitude is to just wait and see what comes of it and accept it as it is, as I'm fairly neutral on the topic overall.

​* in a more acute manner than is inherent to any decision, since this is a matter of group propriety.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                                Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Working...