X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Immaculate orthodoxy, what is the nature of the Dragon-Blooded origin? Was it the Elemental Dragons "imbuing" themselves in families, or was there... ahem... actual intercourse between the Dragons and humans to produce offspring?

Does Cathak Cainan hold a "matriarch's" seal, or does he have to go through some kabuki with a female Cathak to get documents officialized?

Are "gentes" something specifically Shogunate in derivation, or were they just a continuation of First Age Dragon-Blooded traditions?

I've been wracking my brain, and don't recall it actually ever being addressed, so I'll ask: Why the name "Lookshy" for fallen Dehelensen? What does it mean, and why rename at all? If the Seventh Legion still playacts a Shogunate Bureaucracy, for instance, why not just keep the old name?

Comment

• I started an entire thread on the concept of Exalted having various kinds of "mobile homes", and Yaga Baba (with her chicken-legged house) is a noted Lunar inspiration.

To what extent are mobile homes represented in Fangs at the Gate, either in lore or mechanics?

On a similar cultural note, how much representation might we see for "infrastructure" that Lunars designed to be useful or recognizable only to them, rather than to any Dragon-Blooded or Sidereals who may come looking?

The pressures of "need to stay on the move to avoid Wyld Hunts" and "want the benefits of infrastructure without the dangerous of surrendering it to your enemies when they chase you away" seem like a rich source of flavor for playing Lunar Exalted, but I wonder how much you (Robert and Eric) agree.

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
      Are the Dragon-Blooded entertained by mortals fighting without kewl powerz, or are said events exclusively there for the commoners?
      Are you not entertained by watching kittens and puppies try to wrestle each other while fumbling and tripping and falling all over the place?

There's a thin line between pathetic and adorable. To a great extent, something is cute to the extent that it is helpless.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Considering how the Exalted aren't as above mortals as they often think they are, I don't know that helpless kittens and puppies are the best comparison.

Vance, what is your favorite Attribute Charm at present? Eric, same question.
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 12-22-2018, 05:35 PM.

He/him

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
          Vance, what is your favorite Attribute Charm at present? Eric, same question.
          You're asking me to pick my favorite of like, seven hundred children. I just don't have the heart for it!

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
            I started an entire thread on the concept of Exalted having various kinds of "mobile homes", and Yaga Baba (with her chicken-legged house) is a noted Lunar inspiration.

To what extent are mobile homes represented in Fangs at the Gate, either in lore or mechanics?
            None of the Lunar dominions that appear are of the Baba Yaga's hut variety, but that's what sorcerous workings are for.

On a similar cultural note, how much representation might we see for "infrastructure" that Lunars designed to be useful or recognizable only to them, rather than to any Dragon-Blooded or Sidereals who may come looking?

The pressures of "need to stay on the move to avoid Wyld Hunts" and "want the benefits of infrastructure without the dangerous of surrendering it to your enemies when they chase you away" seem like a rich source of flavor for playing Lunar Exalted, but I wonder how much you (Robert and Eric) agree.
            The biggest example that comes to mind is Luthe — being at the ocean's depths makes it nigh-inaccessible to Wyld Hunts, while shapeshifting makes it incredibly easy for Lunars to get their. For the most part, though, Lunars achieve strategic supremacy through asymmetric warfare, razing infrastructure that they aren't dependent on but that their enemies are.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Anaximander View Post
              In Immaculate orthodoxy, what is the nature of the Dragon-Blooded origin? Was it the Elemental Dragons "imbuing" themselves in families, or was there... ahem... actual intercourse between the Dragons and humans to produce offspring?
              I think it's more interesting if there's room for theological debate.

Does Cathak Cainan hold a "matriarch's" seal, or does he have to go through some kabuki with a female Cathak to get documents officialized?
              Cathak Cainan is the matriarch, full stop. It's unusual but not unprecedented.

Are "gentes" something specifically Shogunate in derivation, or were they just a continuation of First Age Dragon-Blooded traditions?
              In previous editions, they were a First Age tradition, although I'm not sure we've discussed that this edition, and if we haven't, we're unlikely to.

I've been wracking my brain, and don't recall it actually ever being addressed, so I'll ask: Why the name "Lookshy" for fallen Dehelensen? What does it mean, and why rename at all? If the Seventh Legion still playacts a Shogunate Bureaucracy, for instance, why not just keep the old name?
              I'm not sure it's ever been addressed in the text. Given the sheer scale of destruction inflicted on Deheleshen, it may have made sense to recognize Lookshy as a new city with a new name.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Gigaton-Falcon-Emu View Post
                Are the lunars on page 339 intended to be in warform or are they intended to be Beastmen who exalted as Lunars?
                There's not really a single fixed answer. It could be Tells, it could be hybrid forms, it could be beastfolk mutations, it could be beastfolk mutations, or it could just be personal style.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post

The biggest example that comes to mind is Luthe — being at the ocean's depths makes it nigh-inaccessible to Wyld Hunts,
                  That just sounds like someone giving up because pulling together an army made entirely out of Water Aspects sounds hard!

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                    Ugh, no. Stick that in the errata thread, please.

I thought the reason it was done was because so many excellencies while they require ability 1, give successes so if you have one dot and no specialty, you just bought an actually useless charm. Robert Vance was this intended? Examples, Underground Rivers Flow, Loquacious Courtier Technique or Distracting Breeze Meditation. Those charms only add successes and the hangeron is they are mute which doesn’t make the charm do something even if it doesn’t add any dice. Lore’s hanger only works as well if you manage to add 2 successes so that could be another charm that does nothing. This doesn’t affect solars cause they will always have at minimum 2 dice. 1 attribute 1 ability.
                    Last edited by Kell_Tamer; 12-22-2018, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kell_Tamer View Post

I thought the reason it was done was because so many excellencies while they require ability 1, give successes so if you have one dot and no specialty, you just bought an actually useless charm. Robert Vance was this intended? Examples, Underground Rivers Flow, Loquacious Courtier Technique or Distracting Breeze Meditation. Those charms only add successes and the hangeron is they are mute which doesn’t make the charm do something even if it doesn’t add any dice. Lore’s hanger only works as well if you manage to add 2 successes so that could be another charm that does nothing. This doesn’t affect solars cause they will always have at minimum 2 dice. 1 attribute 1 ability.
                      Having all Excellency rounding work in a uniform way is worth the complications it can cause.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Well disappointing but not enough to stop me from the line :P
                        Well just houserule it in our tables. Sorry i thought there was a reason when i saw that.

Same vein, do you still intend ot keep sidereal static values being equal to essence just like their regular dice caps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kell_Tamer View Post
                          Same vein, do you still intend ot keep sidereal static values being equal to essence just like their regular dice caps?
                          In past editions, the amount they could add to static values wasn't halved at all, to make up for not being able to reduce target numbers. That's currently the plan.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• With respect to combat movement, how would you handle a situation where a Lunar turned into a tiny insect or the like and latched onto an arrow fired at a target more than one range band away?

Comment

• If a person with four arms were to wield two slashing swords in 2 of the arms, they would get a clash bonus for dual wielding yes?
                              What would happen if they quad wielded using the other two arms? Extra class bonus? No bonus?
                              My instincts tell me it'd give nothing extra, but wanted to ask.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flare View Post
                                Can you explain to me how Dervish Blade Frenzy actually works mechanically? Particularly if she has already learned Triple Attack Technique

Like, how does the sequence of events play out. The character hits an opponent with Empty Mind Strike, dealing damage, then she adds 1 point of Charge, then checks the extra successes on her Empty Mind Strike, then if her extra successes are past her opponent's Defense she triggers Triple Attack Technique? This would then deal just the Triple Attack Technique damage of (Dexterity + Charge + Base Damage) and checks if her successes remaining on the Empty Mind Strike after Triple Attack Technique beat her opponent's new Defense? Then, if they are, she adds a second instance of Triple Attack Technique's damage bonus (Dexterity + Charge) plus (Essence or 3) automatic successes?
                                reposting this I guess?

And to clarify the damage by the Triple and Quadruple Attacks are Withering, not Decisive, even though Empty Mind Strike is a Decisive?
                                Last edited by Flare; 12-23-2018, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X