This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    It's likely to return in one form or another.
    You guys are the best, thankyou again for doing all this.

Comment

• meepe morpe

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
        Do you have an idea of how High Essence Exalted will work this edition? Will there be full high essence charmsets eventually, something more like individual panoply charms unique to each high essence character and only a few each, or something else entirely?
        Essence 1-5 is the heart of the game. Elder Exalted might have an Essence 6+ Charm or two as unique, signature powers.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Sorry to ask a question again, but I am really stumped about whether I have been running Black Claw right.

As I have read it and used it Torn Lotus Defense lets you hit any number of enemies with Black Claw Form active. If this is done twice in a scene or the enemies already have a positive intimacy in the martial artist they start taking (Manipulation) unsoakable withering damage, which as best I can tell the stylist gains. While it requires a successful defense this seems to amount to the best AOE in the game because of the sheer amount of Initiative you can gain from it. Even 3-4 combatants could give the stylist upwards of 20 initiative in an instant and not even eat up there own action. This goes even more bananas if there happens to be Crash bonuses involved.

​All that said am I doing this right? It just seems very strong for an Essence 1 effect and that I might be screwing up how it works.

Thanks

Comment

• Can you explain how a super power granted by celestial + level sorcery would be like. If give myself the ability to see dematerialized spirit with a celestial level working would it be
            1. An always on effect
            2. A Charm like effect that I pay motes for
            3. A merit that gave me a roll against a difficulty?

Comment

Essence 1-5 is the heart of the game. Elder Exalted might have an Essence 6+ Charm or two as unique, signature powers.

That was my guess on where you were going, yeah

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Will God-Blooded be able to learn Martial Arts Charms? (I'd assume using the Terrestrial Keyword)

Comment

Will God-Blooded be able to learn Martial Arts Charms? (I'd assume using the Terrestrial Keyword)
                  God-Blooded encompass a broad range of power. The most common ones won't be able to. Whether more powerful ones can is still undetermined.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Are there any uses for the Occult Ability that aren't contingent upon outside effects such as Sorcery, Thaumaturgy, Charms, Artifacts et al.?

The description here...

Originally posted by Exalted Third Edition, p.155
                    Occult represents an instinctive facility for dealing with Creation’s mystical and otherworldly elements. It describes a rapport with the uncanny and things normally held beyond mortal ken. This includes understanding of the nature, powers, and ways of gods, ghosts, and demons, but also a sense of those things beyond the ken of Heaven and the gods. Occult is vital to the exorcist and the shaman, whose arts cannot be taught to those lacking proper sensitivity, and also to the sorcerer, whose senses pierce the veils of the universe.
                    Like breaking this down...

Occult represents an instinctive facility for dealing with Creation’s mystical and otherworldly elements.
                    This is cool context.

It describes a rapport with the uncanny and things normally held beyond mortal ken.
                    This sounds like it's also just context and flavorful, am I right?

This includes understanding of the nature, powers, and ways of gods, ghosts, and demons, but also a sense of those things beyond the ken of Heaven and the gods.
                    This is interesting. Given the context set by the previous sentences, I'm guessing this is more an intuition of that nature, those powers and their ways, and of stranger things still?

I'm wondering, how do you deploy this in play? Like, if you're willing, could you give a sample of what kind of mundane roll an Occult user might make to do these things?

Occult is vital to the exorcist and the shaman, whose arts cannot be taught to those lacking proper sensitivity, and also to the sorcerer, whose senses pierce the veils of the universe.
                    This is the stuff we're familiar with.

As a hypothetical example... Could I use Occult to detect the presence of a spirit in the area? I'm not thinking pinpoint their location and know what they are, but like... That moment where the room gets a little bit colder because a ghost is there. Could a mortal use Occult to get that uneasy feeling? How would you model that? (Perception + Occult) at a Difficulty of 5 but with some spirits or monsters contextually lowering the difficulty? (I'm imagining Blood Apes and their stink.)

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
                      Are there any uses for the Occult Ability that aren't contingent upon outside effects such as Sorcery, Thaumaturgy, Charms, Artifacts et al.?
                      Occult could be accurately described as your character's practical experience with the supernatural, as opposed to the academic knowledge depicted by Lore. A shaman who negotiates with gods on behalf of her tribe will likely have a high Occult rating to represent her experience in dealing with spirits. A nomadic tribe that navigates the Wyld by following songlines passed down from generation to generation does so using Occult. It is not limited solely to interactions with magical effects or spirits, but also applies to Creation's geomancy, the nature of otherworldly realms, exotic wonders or marvels that defy classification, or just plain weird shit.

As a hypothetical example... Could I use Occult to detect the presence of a spirit in the area? I'm not thinking pinpoint their location and know what they are, but like... That moment where the room gets a little bit colder because a ghost is there. Could a mortal use Occult to get that uneasy feeling? How would you model that? (Perception + Occult) at a Difficulty of 5 but with some spirits or monsters contextually lowering the difficulty? (I'm imagining Blood Apes and their stink.)
                      As a ST, I'd ask you how you plan to do that. Once you stunt it, I'm probably going to allow it—(Perception + Occult), unless something else fits the stunt better, and maybe you could scale the difficulty with the spirit's Essence.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Does the southern coastal area of the White Sea still freeze over in the winter such that you need iceships to travel?

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Sea Devil Training Technique works on your crew only. I wouldn't let it's benefits apply to player characters.
                          Does this apply to all charms that effect that a solar's crew, or only the training charm?

It seems really silly for sail charms to narratively make the group Jason, the argonauts, and those other dudes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
                            Does the southern coastal area of the White Sea still freeze over in the winter such that you need iceships to travel?
                            This hasn't come up yet in dev discussion, but given the changes in the map—civilization extends farther north than in previous editions, and the north shore of the White Sea no longer consists of pack ice—this seems unlikely. My off-the-cuff assessment is that waters off the White Sea's southern coast may freeze solid on rare occasions as per the Little Ice Age, but are unlikely to freeze with any consistency south of Icehome. Iceships will remain a thing in Haslanti territory.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Please tell me the Haltans don't have boomerangs anymore as their cultural signature weapon.

You know.... the guys who live in a dense forest!

Comment

Please tell me the Haltans don't have boomerangs anymore as their cultural signature weapon.

You know.... the guys who live in a dense forest!
                                It's not their only weapon or even their only projectile weapon, but it has its uses. The Northeastern redwood forests have more open space than what we might think of as a dense forest, and Rule of Cool means that Exalted's war boomerangs can semi-reliably return to the thrower. And if you miss and your boomerang gets stuck in a tree, it may be possible to recover it, while a different projectile will probably fall to the forest floor and be unrecoverable due to the Fair Folk.

It may be an elite weapon, though, not something used by the average Haltan warrior. It's definitely worth discussing before writing more Haltan material.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

Working...
                                X