X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does thunderbolt attack prana get blocked by the damage cap of legendary size? E.G. I inflict 6 levels while strength 5, would the charm only allow it to add 2 more? or would I get the full doubling?

Comment

• How does eating work as a shapeshifter? If I turn into a fly, can I get by on a fly's need for food, or do I still need to put away enough fuel to power a human? If I eat enough in my human form to sustain me, and then spend the rest of my day in tyrant lizard form, will my two-egg omelette have put any sort of dent in my massive theropod appetite? If I devour a thousand pounds of mammoth carcass as a multi-ton murder machine, and then revert to human form, where does all that meat go?

(My assumption would be that your caloric needs for the day should match that of the form you spend the most time in on that day; a Lunar who's willing to spend the entire time as a fly can get a lot more mileage out of a mouse carcass than if he spends most of his time in human form, and a Lunar who turns into a hellboar for the sole sake of thrashing a Dynast for a few rounds won't need to devour hundreds of pounds of carrion that day.)
      Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 01-04-2019, 08:13 PM.

He/him

Comment

• Hi, guys! It's been interesting trying to catch up on this thread over the past month or two.

I have quite a few questions on Golden Janissary's capstone, Lone Spark Lights the Conflagration and its Mastery effect.

The Charm states:
        If she damages a nontrivial creature of darkness with this attack, the light emanating from within it flares out to strike each other creature of darkness within medium range, wreathing them in ghostly bonfires.
        Does this affect all creatures of darkness, including allied ones, or just those that are enemies? It's possible you're fighting alongside an ally's summoned demon army, after all. I just want to clarify because the rest of the Charm seems to indicate that only enemy creatures of darkness are affected.

Also, does a battle group of creatures of darkness count as a nontrivial opponent, and would causing one to dissolve after using this Charm on it trigger this effect?

For the Mastery effect, you've already mentioned that you only pay for Devil-Slaying Spear Dance's cost once, regardless of the number of enemies being rushed. Does this also apply to the resulting rush roll, i.e. do you only roll Dexterity+Athletics once (doubling 9's because of DSSD) and apply that result against all targeted enemies' opposed Dexterity+Athletics rolls, or would you roll a rush for each individual target?

If the former, does this count as a single rush or multiple rushes for the purposes of gaining Initiative from Golden Janissary Form or other Charms that may care about successfully rushing an opponent (i.e., do I gain 1 Initiative per individual target that I successfully rush or do I gain maximum 1 Initiative from the Form)?

When during the series of attacks does one earn all of this Initiative? DSSD gives you 1 Initiative for each 1 in the rushed opponent's roll and Golden Janissary Form grants it in whatever way you answer the above paragraph. Do you gain all of it before any attack is rolled, or do you gain each batch as you rush each of your targets?

Finally, I assume that each of these decisive attack's accuracy rolls is meant to be rolled separately, as they are separate attacks, thus meaning that any Charm enhancements to them need to be paid separately. Is this correct?

EDIT: Whoops, one more: I assume that you get to choose the order of these attacks and that you would end the sequence in close range of your final target, correct?
        Last edited by Mynorin; 01-04-2019, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mynorin View Post
          The Charm states: Does this affect all creatures of darkness, including allied ones, or just those that are enemies? It's possible you're fighting alongside an ally's summoned demon army, after all. I just want to clarify because the rest of the Charm seems to indicate that only enemy creatures of darkness are affected.
          You can't exempt allied creatures of darkness.

Also, does a battle group of creatures of darkness count as a nontrivial opponent, and would causing one to dissolve after using this Charm on it trigger this effect?
          Yes and yes.

For the Mastery effect, you've already mentioned that you only pay for Devil-Slaying Spear Dance's cost once, regardless of the number of enemies being rushed. Does this also apply to the resulting rush roll, i.e. do you only roll Dexterity+Athletics once (doubling 9's because of DSSD) and apply that result against all targeted enemies' opposed Dexterity+Athletics rolls, or would you roll a rush for each individual target?
          Yep, you just make one roll.

If the former, does this count as a single rush or multiple rushes for the purposes of gaining Initiative from Golden Janissary Form or other Charms that may care about successfully rushing an opponent (i.e., do I gain 1 Initiative per individual target that I successfully rush or do I gain maximum 1 Initiative from the Form)?
          It only counts as one.

When during the series of attacks does one earn all of this Initiative? DSSD gives you 1 Initiative for each 1 in the rushed opponent's roll and Golden Janissary Form grants it in whatever way you answer the above paragraph. Do you gain all of it before any attack is rolled, or do you gain each batch as you rush each of your targets?
          Before you make any attacks.

Finally, I assume that each of these decisive attack's accuracy rolls is meant to be rolled separately, as they are separate attacks, thus meaning that any Charm enhancements to them need to be paid separately. Is this correct?
          Correct.

EDIT: Whoops, one more: I assume that you get to choose the order of these attacks and that you would end the sequence in close range of your final target, correct?
          Yeah.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
            How does eating work as a shapeshifter? If I turn into a fly, can I get by on a fly's need for food, or do I still need to put away enough fuel to power a human? If I eat enough in my human form to sustain me, and then spend the rest of my day in tyrant lizard form, will my two-egg omelette have put any sort of dent in my massive theropod appetite? If I devour a thousand pounds of mammoth carcass as a multi-ton murder machine, and then revert to human form, where does all that meat go?

(My assumption would be that your caloric needs for the day should match that of the form you spend the most time in on that day; a Lunar who's willing to spend the entire time as a fly can get a lot more mileage out of a mouse carcass than if he spends most of his time in human form, and a Lunar who turns into a hellboar for the sole sake of thrashing a Dynast for a few rounds won't need to devour hundreds of pounds of carrion that day.)
            I think your assumption makes sense.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Kell_Tamer View Post
              Does thunderbolt attack prana get blocked by the damage cap of legendary size? E.G. I inflict 6 levels while strength 5, would the charm only allow it to add 2 more? or would I get the full doubling?
              Because it's not directly adding levels of damage, it's still subject to the cap.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                Is there a Street Fighter or Tekken or other fighting game character whom you feel is not yet properly supported by the Brawl Charms and Martial Arts Styles printed or revealed so far, which you would really like to cover with a Style after Fangs At The Gate?

I know we've talked about Sumo (E. Honda) could be Bull Style.
                I'm not really a fighting game person, outside of Smash. Fangs at the Gate does have styles that closely track to real-world capoeira and lucha libre.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by GenericMaleNPC01 View Post
                  Can a solar use thunderbolt attack prana and then chain it into something like iron raptor technique which allows you to do a melee attack at medium range without aiming?
                  No, that would be a ranged attack, which isn't fair game.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                    I'm not really a fighting game person, outside of Smash. Fangs at the Gate does have styles that closely track to real-world capoeira and lucha libre.
                    I know I've jokingly suggested that Terrible Ascent Driven Beast Style make a reappearance in the past.

But this? 10x more awesome!

prototype00

Comment

No, that would be a ranged attack, which isn't fair game.
                      Really? I was under the impression that iron raptor specified that it let you make a melee attack AT range, not a ranged attack itself.
                      It's fine if that's how it works. Just felt i should clarify

Comment

You can't exempt allied creatures of darkness.
                        Makes sense. To be clear, the damage dice affects all creatures of darkness in range, but the effects of Paralyzing Combustion Imbuement only get applied to enemy creatures of darkness, as the text indicates? I just want to make sure there wasn't an error there.

... Okay, there's one more clarification I need on this: after resetting to base Initiative after the series of decisive attacks, do you receive 1 extra base Initiative per decisive attack hit from Golden Janissary Form, or 1 base Initiative total?

Thanks!

Comment

• If a snake style martial artist suffered the mutation that gave him claws that mechanics wise give his unarmed strikes medium weapon traits, is he still capable of using unarmed martial arts?

Comment

• Does the higher dot ambidextrous offset the off hand penalty of the 2 dot prehensile tail?

Comment

Because it's not directly adding levels of damage, it's still subject to the cap.
                              Cool, still useful in some situations but not necessarily a gotta make it work everytime.

Also uh i noticed something that i think is too late to put in the DB errata (if it was in fact a mistake ) in the artifact Sea's Verdict. All evocations that key off of awaken the tide have a resonant and dissonant effect.

Fact is they don't need them since it can only be resonant as awaken the tide keys off From the Depths which is blocked by a DB charm (Elemental Sheath). Is that meant to be that way or is that more to say something like a solar could get these keying off say Summoning the Loyal Steel? Or was it not supposed to have From the Depths as a prereq? Just caught my eye as odd.

Comment

• Can you take a Disengage action from someone else at short range or greater? I checked and there didn’t seem to be a rule forbidding it.

If not, how would you represent running for your life while an opponent is trying to kill you, since the reflexive movement doesn’t let you increase the distance between you and an actively pursuing opponent?

Comment

Working...
                                X