X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do shapeshifted lunars cap their form's soak by their regular stamina?

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

• Besides the Mouth of Peace and the Master of the Pinnacle of the Hunt, what are the hierarchies of the Immaculate Order? Are there parishes or provinces with a spiritual executive that manages the Immaculate leaders under them? Does each Satrapy (in theory) have its own Immaculate ecclesiastical administration?

Comment

• Will the Wanasaan receive more attention in Heirs as an Outcaste group?

Comment

• Originally posted by reseru View Post
          Will the Wanasaan receive more attention in Heirs as an Outcaste group?
          Some, although not as much as groups like Heaven's Dragons or the Cult of the Violet Fang that haven't gotten much wordcount at all.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            • LOOKSHY EXPANSION - Additional setting detail and mechanics for Lookshy, including stats and Evocations for their fabled gunzosha armor
            Does that mean that you're abandoning the idea that mass produced artiafacts don't have evocations, or is gunzosha armor now a broad category of similar artifacts rather than one specific model? Or an exception to the normal rules about what artifacts get evocations?
            Also, are we going to get stats for dragon armor as well, or just gunzosha armor?

Comment

• I hate to be That Guy that brings up Solar Craft Charms from the Power Tree again, but ...

How does Holistic Miracle Understanding work exactly? I can't seem to find a definite answer anywhere, and it and Divine Inspiration Technique are not worded particularly well. I'll quote the two Charms below just for easy reference, but I recognize you've already clarified DIT's effects on Craft rolls.

Originally posted by Divine Inspiration Technique
              For every three successes earned on a Craft roll, the Solar earns an additional non-Charm die. This effect is recursive; if generated non-Charm dice create at least three successes, another die is generated.
              Originally posted by Holistic Miracle Understanding
              This Charm enhances the prerequisite; if the non-Charm dice generated by the initial roll turn up three or more successes, the new non-Charm dice are augmented by an additional three non-Charm dice.
              A direct reading would indicate that when you roll the non-Charm dice from Divine Inspiration Technique generated from the initial Craft roll (i.e. for the very first time during this Craft roll), if those non-Charm dice generate 3 or more successes all on their own, add an additional 3 non-Charm dice to the resulting DIT-generated dice from them creating additional multiples of 3 successes for the overall successes.

So, if you get 29 successes off the initial roll, you get 9 more non-Charm dice from DIT. These dice generate 4 more successes, giving you 33 successes total and an additional 2 non-Charm dice from DIT. HMU activates because those 9 DIT dice gave at least 3 successes by themselves, giving you 3 more non-Charm dice. You roll those 5 and get another 3 successes, bringing you to 36 and another non-Charm die from DIT. This is no longer the "initial roll" and so HMU doesn't give its 3 non-Charm dice.

Only ever getting 3 non-Charm dice from this Charm seems really underpowered to be the effect of an Essence 4 Charm, considering the effects of other, lower Essence Charms in this tree. So perhaps a literal reading of the Charm might not be the approach here.

A second interpretation I've seen is that HMU upgrades DIT to give 4 non-Charm dice per 3 successes on the Craft roll rather than a single non-Charm die. That seems ... rather overpowered, but I have a hard time gauging what effects are in keeping with a given Essence level.

A third interpretation would be to add 3 non-Charm dice after any use of DIT whose dice generate 3 successes by themselves, ignoring how those successes might bring the total Craft successes to a new multiple of 3. So having 31 successes on the Craft roll and rolling 2 more successes from DIT dice would not trigger the effect of HMU, even though it brought you to 33 total successes and generated a new non-Charm die from DIT.

I feel like I've rambled on enough on this; this is something that's off-and-on occupied my thoughts. So I figured I'd ask now that I have an account. Any clarification you can give would be really appreciated. Thanks!
              Last edited by Mynorin; 01-21-2019, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rj.au View Post
                Does that mean that you're abandoning the idea that mass produced artiafacts don't have evocations,
                I don't think we've ever said anything to that effect.

or is gunzosha armor now a broad category of similar artifacts rather than one specific model? Or an exception to the normal rules about what artifacts get evocations?
                Each suit of gunzosha armor is its own individual artifact, so they're gonna have varying Evocations.

Also, are we going to get stats for dragon armor as well, or just gunzosha armor?
                Just gunzosha armor for now.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Can you stunt damage rolls? (Either withering or decisive)
                  Can you stunt soak?

My characters:
                  Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                  Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                    Can you stunt damage rolls? (Either withering or decisive)
                    Can you stunt soak?
                    No to both.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• That's what I assumed, but Eska's write up says she can use her Stamina excellency to buy up to (Stamina) extra dice on a Stamina roll, or (Stamina/2) extra points of soak against an attack, or (Stamina+Attribute)/2 points of soak with an appropriate stunt.
                      So, how does that work?
                      Also, how does Eska's soak-increasing excellency interact with turning into a bear or other high-soak animal?

My characters:
                      Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• Would the "stunt" just permit a second attribute to add to the cap without adding dice itself or something?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                          That's what I assumed, but Eska's write up says she can use her Stamina excellency to buy up to (Stamina) extra dice on a Stamina roll, or (Stamina/2) extra points of soak against an attack, or (Stamina+Attribute)/2 points of soak with an appropriate stunt.
                          So, how does that work?
                          The Strength and Stamina Excellencies are an exception to the norm for purposes of buffing their dice cap.

Also, how does Eska's soak-increasing excellency interact with turning into a bear or other high-soak animal?
                          Animal form soak doesn't count against your dice cap. Whole different balance metric than buffing dice pools.
                          Last edited by Robert Vance; 01-21-2019, 01:11 PM.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Mynorin View Post
                            I hate to be That Guy that brings up Solar Craft Charms from the Power Tree again, but ...

How does Holistic Miracle Understanding work exactly? I can't seem to find a definite answer anywhere, and it and Divine Inspiration Technique are not worded particularly well. I'll quote the two Charms below just for easy reference, but I recognize you've already clarified DIT's effects on Craft rolls.

A direct reading would indicate that when you roll the non-Charm dice from Divine Inspiration Technique generated from the initial Craft roll (i.e. for the very first time during this Craft roll), if those non-Charm dice generate 3 or more successes all on their own, add an additional 3 non-Charm dice to the resulting DIT-generated dice from them creating additional multiples of 3 successes for the overall successes.

So, if you get 29 successes off the initial roll, you get 9 more non-Charm dice from DIT. These dice generate 4 more successes, giving you 33 successes total and an additional 2 non-Charm dice from DIT. HMU activates because those 9 DIT dice gave at least 3 successes by themselves, giving you 3 more non-Charm dice. You roll those 5 and get another 3 successes, bringing you to 36 and another non-Charm die from DIT. This is no longer the "initial roll" and so HMU doesn't give its 3 non-Charm dice.

Only ever getting 3 non-Charm dice from this Charm seems really underpowered to be the effect of an Essence 4 Charm, considering the effects of other, lower Essence Charms in this tree. So perhaps a literal reading of the Charm might not be the approach here.

A second interpretation I've seen is that HMU upgrades DIT to give 4 non-Charm dice per 3 successes on the Craft roll rather than a single non-Charm die. That seems ... rather overpowered, but I have a hard time gauging what effects are in keeping with a given Essence level.

A third interpretation would be to add 3 non-Charm dice after any use of DIT whose dice generate 3 successes by themselves, ignoring how those successes might bring the total Craft successes to a new multiple of 3. So having 31 successes on the Craft roll and rolling 2 more successes from DIT dice would not trigger the effect of HMU, even though it brought you to 33 total successes and generated a new non-Charm die from DIT.

I feel like I've rambled on enough on this; this is something that's off-and-on occupied my thoughts. So I figured I'd ask now that I have an account. Any clarification you can give would be really appreciated. Thanks!
                            Once again, we return. ^_^

My reading of Divine Inspiration Technique is that you only get the bonus once, and that it can only trigger off the dice generated by Holistic Miracle Understanding.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                              Once again, we return. ^_^

My reading of Divine Inspiration Technique is that you only get the bonus once, and that it can only trigger off the dice generated by Holistic Miracle Understanding.
                              Did you, by chance, mix those two Charm names up? I read it as HMU triggering off the dice from DIT rather than the other way around.

I still think only ever getting 3 dice from an Essence 4 Craft Charm is rather ... underwhelming? But considering I'm trying to write a script that will do this rolling for me, all I *really* cared about was getting an answer rather than getting an answer I wanted. :P

Regardless, if/when you get a chance to revisit the 3e Core book, would clarifying some of these Charm interactions and effects be on the hypothetical table?
                              Last edited by Mynorin; 01-21-2019, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• My apologies if this has been asked before but I did not find it. The core book states that if you take Brawl as a Caste / Favored ability then you can take Martial Arts as a Favored ability. Does this mean that:

1. You choose which to take and the other is not favored;
                                2. You take both as favored but they both count towards your total number of Caste / Favored abilities; or
                                3. You take both as favored but Martial Arts is considered an additional Favored ability (since most players will focus on one ability or the other)?

Comment

Working...
                                X