This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ThomasM View Post
    My apologies if this has been asked before but I did not find it. The core book states that if you take Brawl as a Caste / Favored ability then you can take Martial Arts as a Favored ability. Does this mean that:

1. You choose which to take and the other is not favored;
    2. You take both as favored but they both count towards your total number of Caste / Favored abilities; or
    3. You take both as favored but Martial Arts is considered an additional Favored ability (since most players will focus on one ability or the other)?
    If you pick one, the other also counts as Caste/Favored, without counting towards your maximum.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Mynorin View Post
      Did you, by chance, mix those two Charm names up? I read it as HMU triggering off the dice from DIT rather than the other way around.
      Indeed I did.

Regardless, if/when you get a chance to revisit the 3e Core book, would clarifying some of these Charm interactions and effects be on the hypothetical table?
      It's an if, but I would if I had the opportunity.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Did Magistrates change much from their depictions in previous editions?

Assuming they still can’t own things, are they allowed to request that they retain artifacts that they’ve either recovered (from a rogue god or Anathema) or requisitioned from imperial sources for long term use?

Does the Realm introduce a Magistrate merit? If not, do you think being named a Magistrate warrants some specific set of merits? Should they have an effective Resources rating that represents their ability to “requisition” whatever they want within the Empire?

Comment

• I apologize in advance for this, but can I ask how Ailment-Rectifying Method is meant to work?

I started a thread over here talking about it, and it seems like we've ended up with several different interpretations regarding what the Charm does and doesn't do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            The Strength and Stamina Excellencies are an exception to the norm for purposes of buffing their dice cap.

Animal form soak doesn't count against your dice cap. Whole different balance metric than buffing dice pools.
            Thanks. Do you get a stunt bonus (+2 soak or whatever) or just the benefit of a bigger excellency cap?

I assume all this applies to damage and the Strength excellency too?

My characters:
            Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• Where do new gods come from, if anywhere? How do gods get promoted? And has that changed from the way it 'should' work in the First Age to how it works in the Age of Sorrows?

As a more specific example, say some group of people build a new city - does a city father / mother spring into existence once the city reaches some Heaven-mandated size, does the god of the crossroad/harbor/valley the city started from get promoted automatically, do all the local road and field gods fight over the title, or does the celestial bureaucracy / local corrupt spirit court promote someone based on performance, favors, and / or boot licking skill?

As a more player driven option, if Zenith Bob is founding a city, is it possible for him to exert some influence on the selection / creation of a city god? Is that something normal he can do as a Celestial Exalt, or is that really more a job for questing / bribing / favor trading with either the correct celestial god, or the leader of the local spirit court?

Or is this something that will be answered in a future book about spirits?

Comment

• When writing inspired pieces (location, religion, artifacts, spells, evocations, etcetera) how do you determine if your naming of things and titles adheres close or nearly hints at a thing?

Example 1: If you’re inspired by a IRL religion and you give it an exalted spin, do you use names for things in the religion or just make up new names?

Example 2: Something inspires an Artifact, maybe it’s an anime (say from Bleach) or historical (Perseus‘s invisibility helmet) do you hue closer to the names and descriptions of the original item or only reference it lightly in the evocation descriptions and names?

What’s the process you use to name or reference something without being too on the nose?

Craft rewrite.
                Twitter Handle: at maudova

Comment

• Apologies if this has already been asked, but:

Where do the the "optional Exalted" (Dream-souled, Hearteaters and Umbral Exalted) fit, power-level wise, on average?

Do any of them have any "special unique stuff" a la Sidereal Martial Arts for Sidereals or Adamant Circle Sorcery for Solars?

Is the initial 3E paradigm of "no rigid power-levels" still in play, or are we moving back to late 2E paradigm of "Solaroids are a class of their own which no one can ever approach"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Patricl_Gleason View Post
                    Apologies if this has already been asked, but:

Where do the the "optional Exalted" (Dream-souled, Hearteaters and Umbral Exalted) fit, power-level wise, on average?
                    Hearteaters and Umbrals are closer to the Lunars and Sidereals; Dream-Souled are closer to Dragon-Blooded. Apparently, hyphens are bad for your divine power.

Do any of them have any "special unique stuff" a la Sidereal Martial Arts for Sidereals or Adamant Circle Sorcery for Solars?
                    Their unique stuff is sorta built into their native Charmset.

Is the initial 3E paradigm of "no rigid power-levels" still in play, or are we moving back to late 2E paradigm of "Solaroids are a class of their own which no one can ever approach"?
                    We're sticking to the initial paradigm.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• What does "dynastic outcastes" mean in the terrestrial census? Dynasts who have abandoned the realm? Outcastes who are part of their own dynasties in the threshold?

Comment

• Originally posted by rj.au View Post
                        What does "dynastic outcastes" mean in the terrestrial census? Dynasts who have abandoned the realm? Outcastes who are part of their own dynasties in the threshold?
                        Lost eggs who take the razor or the coin.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

Thanks. Do you get a stunt bonus (+2 soak or whatever) or just the benefit of a bigger excellency cap?
                          Just the expanded cap.

I assume all this applies to damage and the Strength excellency too?
                          Yes.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Thanks

Is Eska's soak limit of (Attribute)/2 rounded up or down?

And for stunts increasing the cap, it has to be a different attribute, not the same one?

If my stunt is "Quick as a flash, I ram my blade right through his gut", which of the following do I get?
                            a)+2 dice on attack rolls
                            b)Add Strength to my Dexterity excellency's cap
                            c)Add Dexterity to my Strength excellency's cap

Differentiating between stunting Defence or Soak seems more obvious, but again, can I stunt both with one stunt? How would that work, as soak only matters if my stunted defence isn't good enough? Like "I block with my quarterstaff, but if that fails I roll with the blow"? All the soak stunts I can think of imply you've failed to defend, which isn't normally how stunts work.

Edit: Tried to clarify my questions.
                            Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 01-25-2019, 01:21 PM.

My characters:
                            Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• Was the Sand mentioned in the backstory for the Golden Hounds in Arms of the Chosen the Sand who was in Caste Book: Eclipse?

Comment

• Does the soak from armor stack with the soak of the second skin of bronze that forms on top of you when you use the spell?

Comment

Working...
                                X