Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there real-world 1-1 inspirations for each Martial Art style? In the event of there not being a real-world inspiration, what would be some of the media inspirations for, say, tiger or white reaper, or for that matter Earth Dragon style?

Comment

• I was looking at Eska of the Seven Blades today.
      She has a charm (Dream-Weaving Voice) that lets her double 9s on an Inspire roll.

Normally charms can only be used with that kind of roll. Like Presence charms are on Presence rolls (not Performance), Melee charms are on Melee (not Martial Arts), etc.

Is Dream-Weaving Voice a Charisma charm, or a Manipulation charm? Or does it not matter and she can use it on any Inspire roll, whether it's Charisma, Manipulation, or even some other Attribute?

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
        I was looking at Eska of the Seven Blades today.
        She has a charm (Dream-Weaving Voice) that lets her double 9s on an Inspire roll.

Normally charms can only be used with that kind of roll. Like Presence charms are on Presence rolls (not Performance), Melee charms are on Melee (not Martial Arts), etc.

Is Dream-Weaving Voice a Charisma charm, or a Manipulation charm? Or does it not matter and she can use it on any Inspire roll, whether it's Charisma, Manipulation, or even some other Attribute?
        For purposes of her write-up, it's just any inspire roll.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Sticks View Post
          Are there real-world 1-1 inspirations for each Martial Art style? In the event of there not being a real-world inspiration, what would be some of the media inspirations for, say, tiger or white reaper, or for that matter Earth Dragon style?
          Single Point Shining Into The Void is Exalted-level iaijutsu.

Mantis style is heavily inspired by Northern Praying Mantis.

Swaying Grass Dance is capoeira.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Should a Ghost-Blooded familiar count as an animal for Berengiere's "animals weep as she draws near" omen thingie?

Comment

• I will admit to borrowing Avatar: The Last Airbender’s Martial Art inspirations for the Immaculate style inspirations (Fire: Northern Shaolin, Earth: Hung Gar, Water: Tai Chi, Air: Ba Gua Zhang) but I have no clue for Wood.

I imagine that Crane might beWing Chun or one of its parent styles.

Any ideas for Snake, Tiger or Wood Dragon?

Comment

• There are legit real world Crane, Tiger, Dragon and Monkey styles in existence.

Most of them are Shaolin in origin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                  I will admit to borrowing Avatar: The Last Airbender’s Martial Art inspirations for the Immaculate style inspirations (Fire: Northern Shaolin, Earth: Hung Gar, Water: Tai Chi, Air: Ba Gua Zhang) but I have no clue for Wood.

I imagine that Crane might beWing Chun or one of its parent styles.

Any ideas for Snake, Tiger or Wood Dragon?
                  Not all styles are directly rooted in real-world styles (even animal styles that have real-world equivalents).

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                    Should a Ghost-Blooded familiar count as an animal for Berengiere's "animals weep as she draws near" omen thingie?
                    God-blooded animals still count as animals, although some effects specify they don't apply to magically enhanced animals, which god-blooded animals are.

I don't see any reason why Berengiere's omen wouldn't apply, though, it's just FX.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                      God-blooded animals still count as animals, although some effects specify they don't apply to magically enhanced animals, which god-blooded animals are.

I don't see any reason why Berengiere's omen wouldn't apply, though, it's just FX.
                      I take it, then, that a hypothetical future write-up of Gervesin would probably have his "petrifies crops and flowers he passes over, and spreads fibers of brass through day birds' flesh" omen, be given such an exception clause? I figure brassy tumors are a touch more deleterious than uncontrollable crying.

Comment

• Just pinging this one from a couple weeks ago, in case it got missed. If it's something without an easy Dev Thread answer, no worries.

Originally posted by Pharsti View Post
                        Where do new gods come from, if anywhere? How do gods get promoted? And has that changed from the way it 'should' work in the First Age to how it works in the Age of Sorrows?

As a more specific example, say some group of people build a new city - does a city father / mother spring into existence once the city reaches some Heaven-mandated size, does the god of the crossroad/harbor/valley the city started from get promoted automatically, do all the local road and field gods fight over the title, or does the celestial bureaucracy / local corrupt spirit court promote someone based on performance, favors, and / or boot licking skill?

As a more player driven option, if Zenith Bob is founding a city, is it possible for him to exert some influence on the selection / creation of a city god? Is that something normal he can do as a Celestial Exalt, or is that really more a job for questing / bribing / favor trading with either the correct celestial god, or the leader of the local spirit court?

Or is this something that will be answered in a future book about spirits?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                          I take it, then, that a hypothetical future write-up of Gervesin would probably have his "petrifies crops and flowers he passes over, and spreads fibers of brass through day birds' flesh" omen, be given such an exception clause? I figure brassy tumors are a touch more deleterious than uncontrollable crying.
                          Some demonic omens are more dramatic in their impact than others, but by and large, they aren't meant to unexpectedly murder your PC's familiar.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pharsti View Post
                            Just pinging this one from a couple weeks ago, in case it got missed. If it's something without an easy Dev Thread answer, no worries.
                            We're aiming to cover these things in an upcoming book about spirits, if possible.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                              We're aiming to cover these things in an upcoming book about spirits, if possible.

Awesome, I hope it makes it on to the schedule!

Comment

• Being on a bit of a kick of reading about English Protestantism and the enforcement of the Book of Common Prayer, I'm wondering about some of the orthodoxy of the Immaculate Order. If it makes sense for there to be something like a centrally authorised compilation of the Texts, placing them in a certain order, emphasis and with the proper addendums and commentaries, that structures the theology and practices desired by Realm and Order authorities. The kind of thing that might have been controversial when first implemented, still cause occasional flares of rebellion, maybe even be at the root of the downfall of a Great House.

I'm talking about something deeper than Peleps Deled's hang ups; not about interpreting the Texts as received, but the forms and conclusions that they're edited to guide towards.

Is it something that makes sense for how the Realm and the Immaculate Texts work?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                                X