This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Measure of Hope View Post
    Chapter One of the Fangs at the Gate preview reiterates the info from the core book that the Solar Bond derives from magically blessed marriages to secure peace between Solars and Lunars in the First Age. This marriage-alliance explanation seems like a good possible story for how the deep bond between an individual Solar and Lunar might have come to be, even a good default explanation if the setting needed one despite all of the deliberate vagueness that now surrounds the First Age.

My question is, were all of these original bondings necessarily marriages? Or were at least some of them other types of spiritually profound vows of devotion, like blood-brothers or master-student bonds? I kind of like the idea of a Lunar warlord adopting a young solar whose mortal parents (and previous incarnation) were killed in the conflict, as a gesture of penitence for their conduct during the war. Just the option of something platonic would be nice, for those who would rather not envisage that romance (or perhaps any romance) as being part of their character's history, but still want to explore some of the many, many other stories you can tell with the Solar Bond. More than that, it's a question of having agency in establishing your character's past. Obviously the golden rule applies, but I'm asking about the setting as written because it sets the tone for the fandom.

TL: DR: Does my Solar absolutely have to be my spouse from a previous life, or can I nope that without having to opt out of having a Solar bond-mate altogether?
    I'm sure there's room for at least one that didn't originate with a marriage, even if the majority did.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Are there centipedes in fangs as QCs? If not is there anything in fangs that can either be used in it's place or used as a basis?

Comment

• Is there anything preventing a Solar and Lunar from having a magically blessed marriage to forge a new Solar Lunar bond?

Some of me humble homebrew for ex3:
        Artifacts for Crumple's DB homebrew
        Some Lintha QCs
        A Wyld Behemoth

Comment

• With the Solar and DB ability-based charms and the Lunar Attribute-based charms, and Artifact evocations which act like equipment-based charms, do you have plans for basing charms on anything else in the character sheet? Do you have plans for a supernatural that might develop Merit-based charms, for instance?

Comment

• So, Warm-Faced Seduction Style allows a DB to instill someone with a Minor Tie of lust along with a persuade roll to seduce them.

Does using WFSS allow the DB to seduce someone in one roll even if they initially had no Intimacies that he could exploit, by simultaneously creating and taking advantage of the new Tie? Or does the persuade attempt still need to be based on a pre-existing Intimacy?

On a related note: if the DB is using WFSS to seduce someone who already has a Minor Tie of lust towards him, can he use this roll to increase the Tie to Major (assuming there's another Minor Intimacy available to support the increase, per the usual rules)? Or does WFSS only instill Minor Ties (which is how I'd read the strict wording of the Charm)?

Comment

• It's art related so you folks might be the wrong ones to ask, but here goes. Covers. The 3E core gave us a trans man front and center (#PrinceDiamondIsLife), DB: WFHW gave us a super badass woman of color with awesome hair, any word on what's in store for the cover of Fangs at the Gate?

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Comment

• Originally posted by GenericMaleNPC01 View Post
                Are there centipedes in fangs as QCs? If not is there anything in fangs that can either be used in it's place or used as a basis?
                There aren't, but there's some traits that'll make it easy to write your own.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by TDS View Post
                  Is there anything preventing a Solar and Lunar from having a magically blessed marriage to forge a new Solar Lunar bond?
                  While I won't declare it impossible, forging a new Bond is likely going to require some serious investment. The world is much diminished from when they were first forged, and back then it was almost the entire Solar and Lunar hosts working together.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Lunars says:

"A Lunar who experienced gender dysphoria or similar discomfort with her birth gender find her true form in the pure self-understanding of Exaltation. Her body aligns with her innermost nature, taking on a form she can truly be at home within. This is her true human shape, and it comes with an unmatched joy and affirmation."

What about other forms of dysphoria/dysmorphia? I can see a lot of potential and many ramifications. Would a person who lost a limb, perhaps experiencing phantom pains, find her body aligning such that she regains that missing arm? Might an ugly person become beautiful, or vice-versa, due to their self-conception? Is it a matter of their inner nature, more than self-conception? Might disabilities or Wyld mutations be "corrected?" Might a physically typical person become atypical, developing mutations or other traits?

Comment

• Originally posted by BestCaseSurvival View Post
                      With the Solar and DB ability-based charms and the Lunar Attribute-based charms, and Artifact evocations which act like equipment-based charms, do you have plans for basing charms on anything else in the character sheet? Do you have plans for a supernatural that might develop Merit-based charms, for instance?
                      I've considered some possibilities along those lines, but so far haven't found anything that really clicks. If there's a strong idea, we can do it (probably for an Exigent), but we won't do it just to fill in a box.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
                        So, Warm-Faced Seduction Style allows a DB to instill someone with a Minor Tie of lust along with a persuade roll to seduce them.

Does using WFSS allow the DB to seduce someone in one roll even if they initially had no Intimacies that he could exploit, by simultaneously creating and taking advantage of the new Tie? Or does the persuade attempt still need to be based on a pre-existing Intimacy?
                        The latter.

On a related note: if the DB is using WFSS to seduce someone who already has a Minor Tie of lust towards him, can he use this roll to increase the Tie to Major (assuming there's another Minor Intimacy available to support the increase, per the usual rules)? Or does WFSS only instill Minor Ties (which is how I'd read the strict wording of the Charm)?
                        Again, the latter.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by SamuraiMujuru View Post
                          It's art related so you folks might be the wrong ones to ask, but here goes. Covers. The 3E core gave us a trans man front and center (#PrinceDiamondIsLife), DB: WFHW gave us a super badass woman of color with awesome hair, any word on what's in store for the cover of Fangs at the Gate?
                          We don't pick until relatively late in the process—probably after we've written all the other art notes.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                            The latter.

Again, the latter.
                            So, given this only creates an intimacy that supports seduction after you've already seduced him, is there any point to using this on an initial seduction attempt outside of being in Fire Aura for those successes?

Comment

• Extremely hype about the new Martial Arts stretch goal!

Will Toad style resemble the Demon Toad arts from Jin Yong’s novel series (Or more recently the Beast from Kung Fu Hustle)?

Please, please, please....

Comment

• Originally posted by prototype00 View Post
                                Extremely hype about the new Martial Arts stretch goal!

Will Toad style resemble the Demon Toad arts from Jin Yong’s novel series (Or more recently the Beast from Kung Fu Hustle)?

Please, please, please....
                                Toad style is primarily inspired by the style of the same name in Five Deadly Venoms. I'm not familiar with Jin Yong.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X