Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question from my friend as well, since the subject of workings and what it can do to mortals came up.

Holden said that most people in the setting can't actually learn sorcery, even if they have Occult 3. You need to have some ineffible quality to have the potential to learn sorcery, which only a tiny portion of the population actually have (including all PCs who want to learn sorcery, for convenience). So you can't set up sorcery schools and just churn out tons of sorcerers.

So, my friend was wondering:
    1) Would it be okay to give someone this potential via a working?
    2) Could you teach someone who had this potential a sorcerous working (their first one I guess) via a sorcerous-working?
    3) Could you just initiate some random guy (with Occult 3) with a working, making them a sorcerer? (Ie someone who probably doesn't have said ineffible potential)
    4) What about thaumaturgy? Could you use a working to give someone thaumaturgy? And if so, would it be "make them an exorcist" (ie a specific thaumaturgy ritual), or "give them the capability of learning thaumaturgy"?

And with the above, would you have to do some kind of dramatic magical transformation, or could you just, say, put them in your mystic ritual circle that puts a sliver of wyld in their heart and now they're a sorcerer (with the wyld-based initiation ritual) but they look the same outside, and haven't really changed besides being a sorcerer (which, you know, is quite a big change, but still)?

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Can ghost materialise outside of a shadowland?
      How can the affect the living?
      Can i have an army of ghost to conquer normal lands?
      Last edited by ale137; 05-18-2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
        Ooh, asking about familiars has reminded me of something.

If you are a Twilight, and you wack a spirit with being a Familiar, does that give them an intimacy?
        The reason I ask mainly, is if a Twilight does this to a bound demon who's been ordered to attack them, is it going to stop the demon because their new intimacy conflicts with the binding intimacy? Or not?
        ...I think he already said that you can't "double bind" a demon. So, you can't just make someone else's demon into your Familiar like that.

Placeholder

Comment

• Ah. A very sensible ruling.

Comment

• Originally posted by ale137 View Post
            Can ghost materialise outside of a shadowland?
            How can the affect the living?
            Can i have an army of ghost to conquer normal lands?
            The vast majority can't. Some can circumvent this by possessing corpses or objects (which lends itself to forming ghost armies), and all can manifest themselves visually to interact with mortals.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Holden said that most people in the setting can't actually learn sorcery, even if they have Occult 3. You need to have some ineffible quality to have the potential to learn sorcery, which only a tiny portion of the population actually have (including all PCs who want to learn sorcery, for convenience). So you can't set up sorcery schools and just churn out tons of sorcerers.

So, my friend was wondering:
              1) Would it be okay to give someone this potential via a working?
              2) Could you teach someone who had this potential a sorcerous working (their first one I guess) via a sorcerous-working?
              3) Could you just initiate some random guy (with Occult 3) with a working, making them a sorcerer? (Ie someone who probably doesn't have said ineffible potential)
              4) What about thaumaturgy? Could you use a working to give someone thaumaturgy? And if so, would it be "make them an exorcist" (ie a specific thaumaturgy ritual), or "give them the capability of learning thaumaturgy"?

And with the above, would you have to do some kind of dramatic magical transformation, or could you just, say, put them in your mystic ritual circle that puts a sliver of wyld in their heart and now they're a sorcerer (with the wyld-based initiation ritual) but they look the same outside, and haven't really changed besides being a sorcerer (which, you know, is quite a big change, but still)?
              For about 99% of cases, this is kind of overthinking it. If a PC sorcerer wants to take on an apprentice and train them in the ways of magic, it's perfectly fine for the Storyteller to simply fiat that character having the capacity for sorcery.

However, creating a huge populace of sorcerers with a working has all the same setting verisimilitude issues as creating an academy, possibly even more. Nothing will go wrong at your table (probably) if you let a player do it, but it's not the kind of thing you'll ever see in published material.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Would there not be ethical questions to remaking an individual's personality on such a level?

​If I phrase everything as a question, can I make points that are technically answering other people's questions?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                ​https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Ooh, asking about familiars has reminded me of something.

If you are a Twilight, and you wack a spirit with being a Familiar, does that give them an intimacy?
                  The reason I ask mainly, is if a Twilight does this to a bound demon who's been ordered to attack them, is it going to stop the demon because their new intimacy conflicts with the binding intimacy? Or not?

I refresh this question because it has a point.
                  If the twilight finds an unbound demon who wants to kill him, what happens if its turned into a familiar?

Comment

• Is there any special payoff for a Dragon-Blooded character who opts to hyper-focus on their Aspect Element (not any particular Abilities, but Charms from their element and their Aspect's associated Aura)?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• With thaumaturges now their own category, what, if any, capabilities do regular mortals have with regards to the supernatural? Can a mortal alchemist brew an acid that burns dematerialized spirits, say?

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                        For about 99% of cases, this is kind of overthinking it. If a PC sorcerer wants to take on an apprentice and train them in the ways of magic, it's perfectly fine for the Storyteller to simply fiat that character having the capacity for sorcery.

However, creating a huge populace of sorcerers with a working has all the same setting verisimilitude issues as creating an academy, possibly even more. Nothing will go wrong at your table (probably) if you let a player do it, but it's not the kind of thing you'll ever see in published material.
                        Thanks very much.

Comment

• Two familiar based questions:

1. What style do you both want for the DB survival tree? Is it going to be heavily focused on Familiar boosting or is it going to be more spread out than the Solar tree (which is heavily familiar based)?

2. Ive continuously had issues with my group over defining the dots rating for spirit familiars, can either of you offer advice as to how to figure out a spirit familiar's dot rating?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gigaton-Falcon-Emu View Post
                            Two familiar based questions:
                            1. What style do you both want for the DB survival tree? Is it going to be heavily focused on Familiar boosting or is it going to be more spread out than the Solar tree (which is heavily familiar based)?
                            Dragon-Blooded Survival is more diversified than Solar Survival.

2. Ive continuously had issues with my group over defining the dots rating for spirit familiars, can either of you offer advice as to how to figure out a spirit familiar's dot rating?
                            Like, for starting the game with a demon familiar? Most will be 3-dot familiars, although I could imagine a particularly weak spirit with little supernatural capacity being only two dots.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                              Is there any special payoff for a Dragon-Blooded character who opts to hyper-focus on their Aspect Element (not any particular Abilities, but Charms from their element and their Aspect's associated Aura)?
                              The Elemental Aura mechanic lets you get a good deal of payout for investing heavily in one element, but you miss out on the versatility you could have by using Charms of different elements or swapping into other Auras.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Thanks very much.
                                Also, maybe go look at the Ysyr section of the 3e Core.

Placeholder

Comment

Working...
                                X