This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sakii View Post

I refresh this question because it has a point.
    If the twilight finds an unbound demon who wants to kill him, what happens if its turned into a familiar?
    Certainly, it wouldn't keep trying to kill him. At my table, I'd make a story out the familiar's disobedience and having to gradually win its full loyalty.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Rather than the return of Shadow Hunter Style, would it make more sense for the Raptok Dragon Kings to practice Tiger Style? They don't need their own Terrestrial Style now that Tiger Style isn't strictly Celestial. Likewise, the Fire & Stones Style of the Anklok doesn't impress.

Black Tide and Dagger Wind (Wing?) Styles are cool because they actually fill niches not covered by any other Styles: aquatic and aerial combat, respectively. But these Styles could be just as useful for the other water-breathing and flying folk of Creation, including the Lunar Exalted.

Might we see Black Tide and Dagger Wing (Wind?) in the next Lunar book, with the Dragon Kings simply practicing ANY Martial Art Style that makes sense for them, rather than having one "unique" Style per breed?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
        Certainly, it wouldn't keep trying to kill him.
        I'd agree with the caveat that the reason it wanted to kill him in the first place might still prove relevant, even if the demon no longer strictly wants to kill him over it.

Comment

Dragon-Blooded Survival is more diversified than Solar Survival.
          In another thread, someone suggested that Ex3's Dragon-blooded charmsets might offer greater operational diversity, such as the examples we've seen of letting one use Survival rather than Lore for an introduce Fact or Performance rather than Stealth to establish surprise, because Aspects don't have the "Pick 5 of 7" mechanic built in.

Is this an actual design philosophy? Is it true for totally different reasons? And if it's totally off base, do you have any thoughts on the design of the Terrestrial charmset that you'd like to share, to help us wrap our heads around it? (I personally find dev comments on design spaces/philosophies to be extremely helpful in grokking games like Exalted.)

Comment

Like, for starting the game with a demon familiar? Most will be 3-dot familiars, although I could imagine a particularly weak spirit with little supernatural capacity being only two dots.
            Ya I meant for a starter character, incidentally to what degree would you place sentience as a factor as whether something should be a familiar or a retainer/ally? For example say your Survival Solar has a god-blooded cat familiar which is fully sentient and maybe even able to speak (been watching Bleach lately), would that be a viable target for a Familiar or more in line with a Retainer?

Thanks for the quick answers btw! Really appreciate how engaged you guys are!

Comment

The vast majority can't. Some can circumvent this by possessing corpses or objects (which lends itself to forming ghost armies), and all can manifest themselves visually to interact with mortals.
              If a ghost uses apparition, it can talk to people, right?

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                Rather than the return of Shadow Hunter Style, would it make more sense for the Raptok Dragon Kings to practice Tiger Style? They don't need their own Terrestrial Style now that Tiger Style isn't strictly Celestial. Likewise, the Fire & Stones Style of the Anklok doesn't impress.

Black Tide and Dagger Wind (Wing?) Styles are cool because they actually fill niches not covered by any other Styles: aquatic and aerial combat, respectively. But these Styles could be just as useful for the other water-breathing and flying folk of Creation, including the Lunar Exalted.

Might we see Black Tide and Dagger Wing (Wind?) in the next Lunar book, with the Dragon Kings simply practicing ANY Martial Art Style that makes sense for them, rather than having one "unique" Style per breed?
                Dragon King styles pretty definitely won't show up except with Dragon Kings. Unique martial arts that require non-human forms to practice are something I've contemplated for Lunars, but not in any great depth, and it may not be possible to implement well.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post

If a ghost uses apparition, it can talk to people, right?
                  Yep! 10char

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Gigaton-Falcon-Emu View Post
                    Ya I meant for a starter character, incidentally to what degree would you place sentience as a factor as whether something should be a familiar or a retainer/ally? For example say your Survival Solar has a god-blooded cat familiar which is fully sentient and maybe even able to speak (been watching Bleach lately), would that be a viable target for a Familiar or more in line with a Retainer?

Thanks for the quick answers btw! Really appreciate how engaged you guys are!
                    God-blooded animals and the sapient animals of Halta are both listed as examples of 3-dot familiars; go for it!

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Any advice on how to handle tasks dome by NPC?
                      If i am the God Emperor of A, and i start a plot where i sent a spy to kingdom B to steal weapons and sell them to the rebels of Kingdom C, and then i send and ambassador to kingdom C to convince them that B wants to conquer them and is using the rebels to weaken his forces. Meanwhile the solar is in the castle making other schemes or eating grapes.
                      How could i handle the success or failure of the plot?

Comment

• A simple question, does Crashing Wave throw increase the damage per round given up for withering attacks by +4 and +3 for decisive? So Strength 10 with Increasing Strength Exercise and Strength 5 as base, you could possible cash in 10 extra rounds for +40 damage for a withering attack or +30 for a decisive. Is that right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sakii View Post
                          Any advice on how to handle tasks dome by NPC?
                          If i am the God Emperor of A, and i start a plot where i sent a spy to kingdom B to steal weapons and sell them to the rebels of Kingdom C, and then i send and ambassador to kingdom C to convince them that B wants to conquer them and is using the rebels to weaken his forces. Meanwhile the solar is in the castle making other schemes or eating grapes.
                          How could i handle the success or failure of the plot?
                          If the players are completely detached from something like this, there's no need to systemize it. If you want to introduce a plot where a scheming monarch has incited war between two rival kingdoms with espionage and deception, you can just...do that.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by LC1984 View Post
                            A simple question, does Crashing Wave throw increase the damage per round given up for withering attacks by +4 and +3 for decisive? So Strength 10 with Increasing Strength Exercise and Strength 5 as base, you could possible cash in 10 extra rounds for +40 damage for a withering attack or +30 for a decisive. Is that right?
                            Crashing Wave Throw only adds +2 damage per round of control forfeited, regardless of whether the attack is withering or decisive.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Can you go all Supernatural(The series) with the occult skill, and have shamans and occultist summoning strange things with chantings and small rituals?
                              I just saw the chapter where a man buried a few things in a crossroad and it summoned a wish granting demon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaddar View Post
                                Can you go all Supernatural(The series) with the occult skill, and have shamans and occultist summoning strange things with chantings and small rituals?
                                I just saw the chapter where a man buried a few things in a crossroad and it summoned a wish granting demon.
                                Absolutely, although it's probably going to take more than just rolling Occult. A summoning ritual that depends on a bunch of cultists performing dark deeds at their sorcerous master's bidding was one of the archetypal inspirations for sorcerous workings, while a thaumaturge could certainly know the secret of summoning a handful of beings. If Jane Mortal wants to do a summoning rite with what she knows of the spirit world, she's going to need some kind of outside intervention, plot device, or Storyteller fiat.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X