This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
    Is the Dual Monarchy still a thing? Is Stygia?
    We've been discussing the Dual Monarchy and Stygia quite a bit. While it'll be a while before we get to them, I'm really excited by the ideas I've seen for it.

For Ghost-Blooded, the obvious thought is that they're mechanically like other types of God-Blooded, with most of them unable to manipulate Essence and usually manifesting traits in the form of supernatural merits, but I admit it's hard to figure out what supernatural merits really make sense. Do you have any suggestions that you'd be willing to share for how to generally represent them?
    I agree that Supernatural Merits are the way to go for ghost-blooded. For the moment, you'd probably want to homebrew custom ones that let them do things like being able to see into the Underworld, act as a medium for ghosts, channel the chilling Essence of the grave through a look, etc.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
      We've been discussing the Dual Monarchy and Stygia quite a bit. While it'll be a while before we get to them, I'm really excited by the ideas I've seen for it.
      Good to hear! Initially I was thinking it would be good to toss those bits, but I've realized that throwing the baby out with the bathwater may not be ideal, and some of the problems might be more presentation than conceptual. Either way, can't wait to hear about it if you share more/when it sees print!

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
      I agree that Supernatural Merits are the way to go for ghost-blooded. For the moment, you'd probably want to homebrew custom ones that let them do things like being able to see into the Underworld, act as a medium for ghosts, channel the chilling Essence of the grave through a look, etc.
      Sounds like I've got a fun new project to work on.

As a related question, for something like a Ghost-Blooded, would it be appropriate to design a supernatural merit to see dematerialized ghosts that doesn't necessarily enable them to see dematerialized demons or other dematerialized spirits? It was a thing in previous editions, but I wasn't sure if that kind of thing was overly punitive in Third Editions approach to these things.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
        As a related question, for something like a Ghost-Blooded, would it be appropriate to design a supernatural merit to see dematerialized ghosts that doesn't necessarily enable them to see dematerialized demons or other dematerialized spirits? It was a thing in previous editions, but I wasn't sure if that kind of thing was overly punitive in Third Editions approach to these things.
        Sounds flavorful and good to me.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• In other places "winning initiative" is described as getting higher than all your enemies even if an ally gets higher than you. However for the 'single point shining into the void form' charm it has a special activation rule to put it on reflexively if you "achieve the highest Join Battle value at the start of a fight". Does this require you to get higher than all people in the fight including your friends or is it like the winning initiative rules and you just need to be higher than all your enemies?

Comment

• When using Rampage-Berserker Attack, does it count as multiple attacks, for the purposes of soak and onslaught, or are you just multiplying your damage pool by your threshold attack successes?

For Example, Solar Ebot uses the charm on someone with a defense of 5 and Medium armor for a total soak of 8, Ebot rolls 8 attack successes and is using a set of Razor Claws, for a total of 15 damage dice. Ebot got 3 threshold successes. So, which is correct:

1) Ebot hits three times, applying a -3 onslaught penalty and doing a total of ((15-8)*3) = 21 dice of damage?

OR

2) Ebot hits once, applying a -1 onslaught penalty, but doing triple damage minus soak (15*3) -8 ) = 37 dice of damage?

I think it's the first one, but I'm not entirely sure.

Comment

• "Force-Rending Strike
              Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 4, Essence 2
              Type: Reflexive
              Keywords: Clash, Decisive-only
              Duration: Instant
              Prerequisite Charms: Ferocious Jab
              The Exalt glances into the aura of violence before her and
              knows the course of her opponent’s strike, meeting it with
              a greater violence of her own. This Charm allows the Solar
              to make a reflexive Brawl-based clash attack (p. 202) against
              an incoming decisive attack. This does not count as the
              Solar’s combat action."

Is the reflexive Brawl-based clash attack used against the incoming decisive attack is a withering attack, a decisive attack, or to the choice of the Solar using the charm?

More generally, are counterattack and clash based charm offensive or defensive considering the "withering only" and "decisive only" keywords?
              Last edited by Kenshinzen; 06-09-2017, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kenshinzen View Post
                Is the reflexive Brawl-based clash attack used against the incoming decisive attack is a withering attack, a decisive attack, or to the choice of the Solar using the charm?
                Well, for what it is worth, my reading was that Force-Rending Strike and similar charms are both offensive as well as defensive, so the Decisive-Only keyword applies to the outgoing attack as well as the incoming attack.
                Originally posted by Kenshinzen View Post
                More generally, are counterattack and clash based charm offensive or defensive considering the "withering only" and "decisive only" keywords?
                But, yes, clarification would be useful. Offensive, Defensive, or Both?

Comment

• It DOES seem to me like a Clash or Counterattack Charm that can respond to only one kind of attack, but which can respond with ANY kind of attack, should not use any keywords, because they're already unique enough that they need to be explained fully within their text to be properly understood. In their cases, keywords only confuse rather than enlighten.

The same applies to such Charms that react to any kind of attack, but can respond with only one kind of attack.

Of course, an alternative is to change the keywords. "Decisive-only" becomes "Decisive offense" and "Decisive defense", "Uniform" becomes "Uniform offense" and "defense", and so forth with Withering-only and Dual.

Thus, a Counterattack Charm might be "Uniform-defense, Decisive-offense" to signify that it can respond to anything with a Decisive attack.
                  Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 06-09-2017, 10:16 AM.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Whats the difference between demon and elementals?
                    More important, what should i take into consideration when choosing between summon demon or summon elemental?

Comment

• Can the Lunar Exalted do the "persona" thing that Socialize-specialized Solars can do?

If they could, would they be limited to creating personae based on the Heart's Blood they've stolen?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• My Storyteller have two questions:

First: Can a withering attack clash with a decisive attack? He want to ask it because of two things:
                        -Because he find it unbalanced, as the withering attack have weapon bonus to hit and specialty when the decisive attack does not.
                        -Because he doesn't know how to make two character declare their actions at the same time without the second being aware of what the first will do.

Second question: He wanted to know if there is any other way than charms (I thinks by using a skill test) to detect magic?

Again, thanks for helping our starting group. ^_^

Comment

• Originally posted by michael allen View Post
                          In other places "winning initiative" is described as getting higher than all your enemies even if an ally gets higher than you. However for the 'single point shining into the void form' charm it has a special activation rule to put it on reflexively if you "achieve the highest Join Battle value at the start of a fight". Does this require you to get higher than all people in the fight including your friends or is it like the winning initiative rules and you just need to be higher than all your enemies?
                          It triggers on winning Join Battle by beating your enemy's rolls. Past me sorta goofed that wording up. >.<

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

"Force-Rending Strike
                            Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Brawl 4, Essence 2
                            Type: Reflexive
                            Keywords: Clash, Decisive-only
                            Duration: Instant
                            Prerequisite Charms: Ferocious Jab
                            The Exalt glances into the aura of violence before her and
                            knows the course of her opponent’s strike, meeting it with
                            a greater violence of her own. This Charm allows the Solar
                            to make a reflexive Brawl-based clash attack (p. 202) against
                            an incoming decisive attack. This does not count as the
                            Solar’s combat action."

Decisive.

Offensive.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

First: Can a withering attack clash with a decisive attack?
                              Yep.

-Because he doesn't know how to make two character declare their actions at the same time without the second being aware of what the first will do.
                              Someone has to declare first, even if the actions are simultaneous. If this isn't something that can be quickly resolved just conversationally, flip a coin.

In theory, both sides could write down their actions secretly and then reveal them simultaneously, but that would slow down play far more than it is worth.

Second question: He wanted to know if there is any other way than charms (I thinks by using a skill test) to detect magic?
                              It depends on the magic in question - for example, it's possible to detect the magic of a sorcerous working in process with a (Perception + Occult roll). That'd be the pool I'd use for recognizing most supernatural activity, but it might not always fit.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                                When using Rampage-Berserker Attack, does it count as multiple attacks, for the purposes of soak and onslaught, or are you just multiplying your damage pool by your threshold attack successes?

For Example, Solar Ebot uses the charm on someone with a defense of 5 and Medium armor for a total soak of 8, Ebot rolls 8 attack successes and is using a set of Razor Claws, for a total of 15 damage dice. Ebot got 3 threshold successes. So, which is correct:

1) Ebot hits three times, applying a -3 onslaught penalty and doing a total of ((15-8)*3) = 21 dice of damage?

OR

2) Ebot hits once, applying a -1 onslaught penalty, but doing triple damage minus soak (15*3) -8 ) = 37 dice of damage?

I think it's the first one, but I'm not entirely sure.
                                I believe that 1 is correct, but the wording of the Charm really is ambiguous enough that I can't be sure. Given that each interpretation has its own tradeoffs - more onslaught or more damage - I'm not particularly concerned about it.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X