This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ekorren View Post
    Does the Initiative damage from anima flux (and/or other sources of aoe Initiative damage) affect both the Single Point stylist and his weapon, or the Single Point stylist or his weapon?
    One or the other - the sword doesn't count as an independent "character" for purposes of AoE effects generally.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaddar View Post
      Essence-Gathering Temper says:
      "she may not use it until it has been reset by soaking a withering
      attack of 10+ raw damage without suffering Initiative loss"
      But you lose a point of initiative just for the atack overcoming your defence.
      As Lanaya said, you don't lose the Initiative your attacker gains for hitting you.

Adamant Skin Technique allows me to use Stamina + armor soak to resist decisive damage. So if i have stamina 5 and bronze skin, all i can use if 5?
      Correct. Invulnerable Skin of Bronze and other magic that adds non-armor soak don't count towards your total with Adamant Skin Technique.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by ale137 View Post
        Is it inside the solar's wheelhouse.to have a resistance charm that lets you regrow missing body parts?
        Solar Resistance's approach, as embodied in Unbreakable Warrior's Mastery, is to simply not lose a body part at all. Being able to slowly regrow a lost limb is more within the purview of Solar Medicine, while rapidly regenerating a lost limb is something I see as a signature Lunar trick.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
          while rapidly regenerating a lost limb is something I see as a signature Lunar trick.
          Alright, so Lunar!Piccolo is now a thing I'm doing.

Restoring demonic glory in Infernals:What Hell Has Wrought

Comment

• under demon summoning there is the option to have the demon summoned work for you for a year and a day or for a specific task until its completion, is it possible to have as part of the specific task that the demon forget ever being summoned in the first place?

Second CIrcle Demon: C'al Siphar The Benevolent Flame; Sorcerous Initiation: Symbiosis Of The Burning Heart; First Circle Demons: Rijal Al'Ghurban & Sharar Al'Najm First Draft Complete!!
            Merit Representing Control Of An Organization: Executive Leadership

Comment

• Originally posted by norraba View Post
              under demon summoning there is the option to have the demon summoned work for you for a year and a day or for a specific task until its completion, is it possible to have as part of the specific task that the demon forget ever being summoned in the first place?
              No, for two reasons. First, a specific task is a single task. The summoner definitely has scope to provide essential detail that is part and parcel of the task, but "and then do this unrelated other thing once you're done" clearly denotes a separate task. Second, demon binding magically enforces loyalty, but doesn't provide any other special means of affecting the bound demon's mind. Unless the demon explicitly has an applicable memory-erasing power, it can't forget things on command any better than a loyal mortal servant can.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• How does Thunderclap Rush Attack interact with Disengage?

If an enemy successfully disengages, can I immediately TRA and attack them?

Or does their reflex movement from the disengage keep them out of harm's way?

Comment

• Is it shenanigns to open a portal to the deep wyld, and use it to import Wyld Shaped Magical Materials and exotic elements to Creation?

Would people created in the wyld havr problems living in Creation?

Can you take rests between phases to recover motes when using Wyld Shaping Technique?

When you make something that resets the phases, does it resets everithing? Difficulty, encounter rolls, ets.

The dimensions in which workings and Wyld Shaping work are two different. When one can curse a land the other can create a land the size of a kingdom. When I turn patches of Creation ino wyld zones, to recreate to my image, can I reduce the size of the wyld created lands to introduce high phases features?

Comment

• Can you go from 'pocket in the Wyld' to 'edge of the world wyld'? If I make a Wyld zone w/sorcerer, will Fair Folk naturally appear?

Restoring demonic glory in Infernals:What Hell Has Wrought

Comment

• I'm a little confused about Flawlessly Impenetrable Disguise and Perfect Mirror. Without supernatural senses you can't actually pierce either disguise, so, if someone uses, say, Perfect Mirror to duplicate an old, humorless, wheelchair bound jerk and then proceeds to dance through town throwing coins to the masses and candy to the children, what exactly do the mortal residents think is going on?

If a player tried this, should I warn them that it would be massively out of character or just let them do it and have everyone trying to justify the miracle later or what?

Also, when you guys start in on Lunars, if you could add a sidebar on handling this sort of thing, I'd really appreciate it. I've never known how to handle things when a character who is physically indistinguishable from another person attempts to impersonate them and fails horribly at acting like them ...and then has magic that says "No, you can't tell I'm not them."

It just feels like, at some point, someone should be able to go "Hey, maybe that guy is an impersonator" no matter how much magic they have, if they screw up the impersonation to a really serious degree. Especially since people know Lunar Anathema and their ability to steal your body are a thing.

Placeholder

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

No, for two reasons. First, a specific task is a single task. The summoner definitely has scope to provide essential detail that is part and parcel of the task, but "and then do this unrelated other thing once you're done" clearly denotes a separate task. Second, demon binding magically enforces loyalty, but doesn't provide any other special means of affecting the bound demon's mind. Unless the demon explicitly has an applicable memory-erasing power, it can't forget things on command any better than a loyal mortal servant can.
                        So, it would be legit for a summoner to task bind a Blood Ape with the following order:

"You are to prevent anyone from entering this tomb to the best of your ability. This means I expect you to stay inside it and kill anyone who trespasses."

But not this:

"You are to prevent anyone from entering this tomb to the best of your ability. This means I expect you to stay inside it and kill anyone who trespasses. And if the Solar ghost wakes up, slap it around until it goes back to sleep." I mean, the Blood Ape might try to do that second part anyway, but it wouldn't be task bound to do so, right?

Placeholder

Comment

• Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                          So, it would be legit for a summoner to task bind a Blood Ape with the following order:

"You are to prevent anyone from entering this tomb to the best of your ability. This means I expect you to stay inside it and kill anyone who trespasses."
                          Sure, sounds legit.

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                          But not this:

"You are to prevent anyone from entering this tomb to the best of your ability. This means I expect you to stay inside it and kill anyone who trespasses. And if the Solar ghost wakes up, slap it around until it goes back to sleep." I mean, the Blood Ape might try to do that second part anyway, but it wouldn't be task bound to do so, right?
                          For starters, a blood ape can't do much to hurt a dematerialized ghost [EDIT: ignore this bit, dematerialized creatures can hit each other. oops], and beating up a ghost doesn't really knock it unconscious...

This one's sort of borderline. As written, they're distinct tasks, but they're close enough that (positing for the sake of argument that things work as above) you could probably adjust the two tasks slightly to bring them into line with one another. Like, "Prevent anyone from entering or leaving this tomb." Or "Ensure that this ghost remains asleep in its sepulcher. This means I expect you to subdue it if it wakes, and to keep trespassers out of its tomb."

On the other hand, a Storyteller could reasonably decide that it's close enough to being one task that it's legit. It's a judgment call.

The main reason to keep task binding limited is to restrict abusive "tasks" that are very clearly things that should require multiple summonings and bindings. Like "Your task is to build this manse, then craft that daiklave, then lay waste to the city over there..." — or worse, the classic: "Your task is to do everything that I tell you to forever." It's up to the Storyteller to determine where to draw the line.

(To be fair, "Do this task and then forget you were summoned" is also a judgment call. But since the forgetfulness isn't actually an option, it's not relevant in practice.)
                          Last edited by Eric Minton; 06-21-2017, 03:05 PM.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

For starters, a blood ape can't do much to hurt a dematerialized ghost, and beating up a ghost doesn't really knock it unconscious...
                            Uh, I thought that dematerialized beings can interact with each other. Can't a blood ape simply dematerialize and beat the ghost?

Comment

The main reason to keep task binding limited is to restrict abusive "tasks" that are very clearly things that should require multiple summonings and bindings. Like "Your task is to build this manse, then craft that daiklave, then lay waste to the city over there..." — or worse, the classic: "Your task is to do everything that I tell you to forever." It's up to the Storyteller to determine where to draw the line.
                              So what happens when the player tries to do the abusive task binding and the GM says "no". Do they get to choose another binding of any kind? Do they get to choose another task binding? Does the demon simply realize that he has an intimacy to fulfilling the task and not the sorcerer and decide the best way to do what he says forever is to keep him from speaking forever? Is the demon simply unbound and the player looses his/her chance to bind the demon?

EDIT: Obviously, you wouldn't intentionally screw over your player by just having an unbound demon or coming up with a weird justification for having the demon attack the PC. I'm more curious about whether it's appropriate to make them choose another task binding or whether they should just be allowed to bind for a year and day.
                              Last edited by Demac; 06-21-2017, 11:36 AM.

I have created a character creation tool. The thread talking about the tool can be found here.

I like the Mesoamerican look.

Comment

• Originally posted by LDDM84 View Post

Uh, I thought that dematerialized beings can interact with each other. Can't a blood ape simply dematerialize and beat the ghost?
                                Quoted for emphasis.

"On another day, in another history, Sergeant Anchise's efforts to rally, compose, and organize his forces after the death of both companies' captains would have become the stuff of instruction text and legend. Today, on Calth, they are just another story of a man's last few hours alive."
                                -Dan Abnett, Know No Fear

Comment

Working...
                                X