X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    A whole chapter's worth!

Some. I wouldn't say many.
    I might have read this wrong but it seemed to me that you are implying non-combat artifacts have combat-orientated evocations by default.

So by communing with my ancient family teapot I am more likely to awaken it's desire to commit unspeakable acts of savagery than unlock the recipe for the Scared Hatred-Eating Sage Tea?

Comment

• I think that assumption is an uncharitable reading. I imagine most of those artifacts have their effects baked in as opposed to being evocations. Your ancient family teapot already does the thing.

Is the warstrider that won a kingdom in the Hundred Kingdoms in Arms of the Chosen?

EDIT: And another one, can a ghost which appears using Apparition use social charms to effect people? Or other charms, like the Honored Ancestor's Curse of the Dead. Can they use that on someone even if they're apparent using Apparition but not Materialized?

And a third one, sorry. What level of Sorcerous Working would you generally pin "transform someone into a magical entity" at? Or maybe, what range? Is it a Celestial 2-3 or like, Celestial 3-Solar 1 type of range? What range would you assign to a sorcerous Circe preparing a curse (a working) to turn somebody into a pig or another non-magical animal?
      Last edited by Leetsepeak; 07-01-2017, 02:32 PM.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gigaton-Falcon-Emu View Post

I might have read this wrong but it seemed to me that you are implying non-combat artifacts have combat-orientated evocations by default.

So by communing with my ancient family teapot I am more likely to awaken it's desire to commit unspeakable acts of savagery than unlock the recipe for the Scared Hatred-Eating Sage Tea?
        You're assuming that all noncombat artifacts have Evocations. Most noncombat artifacts do not have Evocations. Evocations typically follow the function of the artifact.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

You're assuming that all noncombat artifacts have Evocations. Most noncombat artifacts do not have Evocations. Evocations typically follow the function of the artifact.
          Interesting, now I could not help but notice that you said most. Is it entirely within reason for some unusual artifacts to feature evocations that have nothing to do with combat?

Furthermore do vehicles have a capability for evocations?

Of course anything is possible but I mean more if you feel that it is possible given the fluff you have written for framing evocations?

Comment

• How does someone mount a horse in the middle of a fight?

Should it be modeled like a Disengage action? It would seem just as hard to mount a horse when surrounded by enemies at close range, and mounting a horse is very much like retreating some distance from your enemies, seeing as it gives you the high ground.

Edit: Also, if a Lunar is acting as another character's mount, does the Lunar get to apply his dodge for both of them, or is the rider forced to use parry defenses?

Presumably, because her evasion becomes as inapplicable as her movement actions for as long as she insists on remaining mounted on a character she does not control?
            Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 07-02-2017, 04:34 AM.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• So, our group has been wondering about the limitations of the charm Flawlessly Impenetrable Disguise.

The in game text says that "This disguise cannot be pierced by mundane senses. Nor can it be thwarted by inhuman sensory acuity, such as the nose of a hound or the eye of a hawk. Senses heightened to supernatural levels by Charms such as Keen Sight Discipline have a chance to pierce this deception, but subtract 2 successes from their attempts. Magic which pierces this effect does not reveal the Solar’s identity, only that the Exalt is not what she appears to be."

Does this include touch? Is it covering cases where you, obviously, would have a great deal of trouble HIDING some differences? The example given notes that if magic pierces Solar Sue's disguise as the Scarlet Empress, they see a woman who looks LIKE the Scarlet Empress, not what Sue actually looks like.

But how does this work if, say, Solar Steve tries it and has to discard his clothes because "the Scarlet Empress" is expected to bathe with her servants at specific time? By the text of FID, one would assume mundane senses such as sight and touch wouldn't be able to determine the disguise is inaccurate. But at the same time, that'd need some level of altering the basic shape of the person more than clothing would manage. Do you get a Mulan situation where Steve is just sinking into the water and hoping no one notices he doesn't have certain things the Empress is expected to have, or is there straight up magic deceiving the servants to perceive (including by touch) that there's nothing odd about the "Empress"? The latter would seem to require some level of shapeshifting for it to be pulled off, which tends to be Lunar territory.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
                Is the warstrider that won a kingdom in the Hundred Kingdoms in Arms of the Chosen?
                You could certainly decide that it's one of the warstriders in Arms, but no, that connection isn't made.

EDIT: And another one, can a ghost which appears using Apparition use social charms to effect people? Or other charms, like the Honored Ancestor's Curse of the Dead. Can they use that on someone even if they're apparent using Apparition but not Materialized?
                Yep, they can speak and interact, use social influence, and use magic that's conveyed through speech/social influence.

And a third one, sorry. What level of Sorcerous Working would you generally pin "transform someone into a magical entity" at? Or maybe, what range? Is it a Celestial 2-3 or like, Celestial 3-Solar 1 type of range? What range would you assign to a sorcerous Circe preparing a curse (a working) to turn somebody into a pig or another non-magical animal?
                The level would vary with a couple of factors—primarily, the extent of the transformation, the willingness of the target, the numerosity of targets, and the proximity of the target. Giving a willing subject mutations (like turning him into a wolfman) is listed as an example of an Ambition 2 Terrestrial working, but that assumes some degree of proximity (the specifics depend on the working's Finesse). If you want to create a freaky frog-locust that will fly hundreds of miles across Creation and crawl into a willing subject's mouth to give them mutations, that's going to be harder to pull off.

For the Circe example, assuming you track closely to the myth and whacking your unwilling subject with a staff to turn them into a pig, I'd probably peg that as an Ambition 2-3 Celestial working, with the mechanics of how the target resists being worked out over the working's Finesse.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Gigaton-Falcon-Emu View Post
                  Interesting, now I could not help but notice that you said most. Is it entirely within reason for some unusual artifacts to feature evocations that have nothing to do with combat?
                  That would be odd for a daiklave, but sensible for a jade sianxian or a moonsilver hookah.

Furthermore do vehicles have a capability for evocations?
                  Yes. The ones in Arms don't have any, but that's because of wordcount restrictions, not impossibility.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                    How does someone mount a horse in the middle of a fight?
                    Miscellaneous action. If the Storyteller deems there's a possibility of failure, they might require a (Dexterity + Ride) roll.

Edit: Also, if a Lunar is acting as another character's mount, does the Lunar get to apply his dodge for both of them, or is the rider forced to use parry defenses?

Presumably, because her evasion becomes as inapplicable as her movement actions for as long as she insists on remaining mounted on a character she does not control?
                    Riding a mount doesn't prevent you from dodging attacks. Your mount's Defenses don't apply to attacks against you, Lunar or no, unless one of you two has magic to do so or uses defend other.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Does this include touch?
                      Yep.

Is it covering cases where you, obviously, would have a great deal of trouble HIDING some differences? The example given notes that if magic pierces Solar Sue's disguise as the Scarlet Empress, they see a woman who looks LIKE the Scarlet Empress, not what Sue actually looks like.
                      Yep.

But how does this work if, say, Solar Steve tries it and has to discard his clothes because "the Scarlet Empress" is expected to bathe with her servants at specific time? By the text of FID, one would assume mundane senses such as sight and touch wouldn't be able to determine the disguise is inaccurate. But at the same time, that'd need some level of altering the basic shape of the person more than clothing would manage. Do you get a Mulan situation where Steve is just sinking into the water and hoping no one notices he doesn't have certain things the Empress is expected to have, or is there straight up magic deceiving the servants to perceive (including by touch) that there's nothing odd about the "Empress"? The latter would seem to require some level of shapeshifting for it to be pulled off, which tends to be Lunar territory.
                      I think you'd get something along the lines of a Mulan-type situation, except the Solar has supernatural command of body language and misdirection to make even the most impossible situations merely stuntable.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Will other exalts than the dragonblooded use the terrestrial keyword for martial arts? I can see exigents doing so on a case-by-case basis, but what about liminals, or others?

Comment

• Mechanics question for Righteous Devil Style. The form charm lets you make an intimidation check of Charisma + Presence + Essence. Is the essence subtracted from the dice you can add from charms? So if an Essence 2 Solar uses it, and they have charisma 4 and presence 4, can they add only 6 more dice? Or can they still add 8 dice from other charms?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kell_Tamer View Post
                            Mechanics question for Righteous Devil Style. The form charm lets you make an intimidation check of Charisma + Presence + Essence. Is the essence subtracted from the dice you can add from charms? So if an Essence 2 Solar uses it, and they have charisma 4 and presence 4, can they add only 6 more dice? Or can they still add 8 dice from other charms?
                            Yeah, it counts towards your dice limit.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Clownpiece View Post
                              Will other exalts than the dragonblooded use the terrestrial keyword for martial arts? I can see exigents doing so on a case-by-case basis, but what about liminals, or others?
                              They may. 10char

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                                They may. 10char
                                The Dragon Kings as well, right?

Will the Dragon Kings have a similar ability to enlighten past the Terrestrial keyword?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Working...
                                X