This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gigaton-Falcon-Emu View Post
    I wanted to ask if you feel that DB still have a place left both fluff and mechanically for their role as the most numerous exalt? Unless I misunderstood what has been presented so far Breeding is out
    Not quite. Breeding still exists as a Merit (and Poor Breeding as a Flaw). However, it no longer increases the size of your mote pool or is a "must buy."

and so are most of the mechanical benefits of working together with other DBs. Typically in favour of making them more individually awesome and relegating their previous virtue of strength in numbers to a corner in the fluff.
    This is incorrect. Teamwork and cooperation are still a large part of their mechanical identity. Strength in numbers is still a large part of their theme.

Edit: Please do not misunderstand this as criticism. I have greatly enjoyed the previews thus far but I am curious as to your philosophies on the subject given that a lot of people do not seem very partial to the Blooded side I my experience.
    Not a problem.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Gatts View Post
      Could you use evocations of the weapon on such an attack?
      Depends on the Evocation and the artifact, but prooobably not. Storyteller call for edge cases.

Could the artifact so roughly hewn that it counts as improvised and has no other tags, but its evocations supplement attacks made with it?
      It's not really a question of "could it" so much as it is one of "why would you want to?"

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
        If I give an artifact to a mortal who has motes from Prophet Uplifting Evocation, can they attune to it?
        If so, presumably they are dissonant with it, right?
        Nah. Mote pools granted to mortals by Prophet-Uplifting Evocation et al. are only usable with the specific powers those Charms provide.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
          Will this work like the Dragon-Blooded, with every Ability being able to express the nature of multiple Yozi?

Perhaps with Aura State being replaced by a suitably different "Shintai" mechanic?

Because that sounds as awesome for Ability-based Infernals as it does for the Dragon-Blooded.
          There's a lot more Yozis than there are elements, which makes comparisons tricky, but in terms of what we've planned out, yes, an Ability can express multiple Yozi's themes.

Shintai will be their own animal.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            Not quite. Breeding still exists as a Merit (and Poor Breeding as a Flaw). However, it no longer increases the size of your mote pool or is a "must buy."

This is incorrect. Teamwork and cooperation are still a large part of their mechanical identity. Strength in numbers is still a large part of their theme.

Not a problem.
            That is a relief to here! My thanks again for being such a sport about all of our questions!

I am going to be greedy and ask if there is any benefit tied to lineage? (Like a bonus if a manse or artifact have been in your family for millennia or something of that sort)

On a more fluffy note. Do you see more complete bloodlines getting destroyed or surviving the death of the shogunate, or do you see most modern DBs being descended from a bunch of sole-survivors and refugees?

Comment

It's not really a question of "could it" so much as it is one of "why would you want to?"
              The major reason is that I wanted a big brawl based character with a massive unwieldy artifact club that he can Heaven Thunder Hammer opponents with. Wanted to know if it was something that should be avoided at all costs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gatts View Post
                The major reason is that I wanted a big brawl based character with a massive unwieldy artifact club that he can Heaven Thunder Hammer opponents with. Wanted to know if it was something that should be avoided at all costs.
                Heaven Thunder Hammer can already be combined with smashfists and stuff, so if you want to whallop the hell out of people with a solid pillar of orichalcum, I don't see severe imbalance that's going to come of it.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Gigaton-Falcon-Emu View Post
                  I am going to be greedy and ask if there is any benefit tied to lineage? (Like a bonus if a manse or artifact have been in your family for millennia or something of that sort)
                  You'll see those in the Evocations of heirloom artifacts, yup.

On a more fluffy note. Do you see more complete bloodlines getting destroyed or surviving the death of the shogunate, or do you see most modern DBs being descended from a bunch of sole-survivors and refugees?
                  Lineages survived. To give a specific example, after Tepet's siege of the Imperial City failed and he surrendered to the Scarlet Empress, she took him as a consort and created House Tepet, absorbing those of his family that had rallied under his banner into the Realm in the process.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

You'll see those in the Evocations of heirloom artifacts, yup.

Lineages survived. To give a specific example, after Tepet's siege of the Imperial City failed and he surrendered to the Scarlet Empress, she took him as a consort and created House Tepet, absorbing those of his family that had rallied under his banner into the Realm in the process.
                    ...I feel like you know the amount of hype you generated from that particular tidbit. Will we be hearing about the awesome deeds of the bulk of the house founders?

Comment

• So, any cool Thrown weapons in Arms? I feel like, for whatever reason, ranged weapons often get the short end of the stick in RPGs, so I'm hoping for a cool Artifact 4-5 set of throwing knives or something like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by SunAndSpring View Post
                        So, any cool Thrown weapons in Arms? I feel like, for whatever reason, ranged weapons often get the short end of the stick in RPGs, so I'm hoping for a cool Artifact 4-5 set of throwing knives or something like that.
                        Quite a few!

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Quite a few!
                          Hell yeah

Thanks so much, looking forward to seeing it come out.

Comment

Nah. Mote pools granted to mortals by Prophet-Uplifting Evocation et al. are only usable with the specific powers those Charms provide.
                            Gonna jump on that as it kicks one of my ideas in the nuts: Long version, skim to next paragraph for the question: One of my PCs is going to return to her pre-Exaltation home, where she was one of several priestresses empowered to use specific artifacts (armor + spear) to fight a local undeath infestation since the Great Contagion. Thing is, the point is to break that cycle one way or another, de-powering the other priestresses, and I thought it would have been cool to allow P-UE to be used for those specific Artifacts, and those alone, as a "New Covenant" (yes, she's Zenith)

So the question is: do you see anything breaking in allowing P-UE-empowered NPCs to attune to specific Artifacts and those alone?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sagara View Post

Gonna jump on that as it kicks one of my ideas in the nuts: Long version, skim to next paragraph for the question: One of my PCs is going to return to her pre-Exaltation home, where she was one of several priestresses empowered to use specific artifacts (armor + spear) to fight a local undeath infestation since the Great Contagion. Thing is, the point is to break that cycle one way or another, de-powering the other priestresses, and I thought it would have been cool to allow P-UE to be used for those specific Artifacts, and those alone, as a "New Covenant" (yes, she's Zenith)

So the question is: do you see anything breaking in allowing P-UE-empowered NPCs to attune to specific Artifacts and those alone?
                              If you're the Storyteller, you get to kick my answers in the nuts. :P

But no, I don't see any mechanical imbalances that are going to come out of that. My main concern is a setting one—it's very deliberate that generically enlightened mortals with mote pools they can use to attune artifacts or use martial arts or whatever aren't a thing that exist in Ex3, and so letting Prophet-Uplifting Evocation or similar effects create them would be, uh, sort of a problem.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Are Kings of the Wood as cruel as they've always been?

Restoring demonic glory in Infernals:What Hell Has Wrought

Comment

Working...
                                X