This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    A fluff question for you: how many gods live in the average village in Creation? Is there a village god (I know there are city gods)? The individual houses and streets? The valley its in? The pond in the middle? The old oak next to the village? The smaller trees in people's gardens? Anything else?

I'm just trying to get a sense of how common they are, and how many you can expect to come across when walking around with Spirit-Detecting Glance.
    I believe this is something that was deliberately left out of the core so the Storyteller could freely adjust the numbers in her Creation to taste. I personally lean toward the low end in my home games, so that when a village actually has a god in it, that god is distinctive and flavors the village with its presence — and so that if I decide not to have a god or just forget to include one, it's not weird. But you can dial the numbers up without breaking the setting, as long as you think about the consequences and take them into account.

We've been hoping to put a book on cults and worship early in the schedule, as that's a subject that has never received adequate coverage in previous editions.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

I believe this is something that was deliberately left out of the core so the Storyteller could freely adjust the numbers in her Creation to taste. I personally lean toward the low end in my home games, so that when a village actually has a god in it, that god is distinctive and flavors the village with its presence — and so that if I decide not to have a god or just forget to include one, it's not weird. But you can dial the numbers up without breaking the setting, as long as you think about the consequences and take them into account.
      Yeah, me too, I found too many gods makes them less interesting, but it always seemed like there was supposed to be a ton. So I'm happy with that.

We've been hoping to put a book on cults and worship early in the schedule, as that's a subject that has never received adequate coverage in previous editions.
      That'd be great, it's always something I mention when people ask for suggestions for new books.

Which reminds me, how much Immaculate theology does the Realm book explain?

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
        Various types range from three to five dots.
        What would be the value of Gunzosha Armor?

Do you have any advice to port the special bonuses of power armor to 3ed?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sakii View Post
          What would be the value of Gunzosha Armor?
          Without actually writing them and their Evocations out, I can't accurately assign them a rating.

Do you have any advice to port the special bonuses of power armor to 3ed?
          My experience writing warstriders is that using Evocations to represent activating auxiliary systems and customized features of specific armor leads to really sweet design.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Without actually writing them and their Evocations out, I can't accurately assign them a rating.

My experience writing warstriders is that using Evocations to represent activating auxiliary systems and customized features of specific armor leads to really sweet design.

What would a mortal spend to activate evocations? HL, WP?

Im thinking of a subsystem, where you can only have n effects active at one time and you have to juggle between them. With a single evocation giving more than one efffect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sakii View Post
              What would a mortal spend to activate evocations? HL, WP?
              I'd recommend a specific mechanic that's tailored to gunzosha armor, rather than something that could be generically applied to any and all mortal-usable artifacts. Willpower costs could work, health levels would definitely feel thematic, but you could also do stuff like giving the armor a unique resource pool that a mortal can fill and expend on Evocations in place of motes.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

​What does this mean for First Age Artifice as a whole?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

So does this mean a user will have to pay exp to gain access to the auxiliary systems of a armor or are these evocations usually free to unlock?

Comment

• Related to Immortal Blade Triumphant; are automatic successes added to, or dice converted to automatic successes on the damage roll automatically assumed to happen post-soak, since damage isn't rolled untill after soak?

Also how do automatic damage successes interact with soak, or post-soak damage reduction? If you have lets say 2 dice + 4 automatic damage successes post-soak and the defender cancells 5 post-soak damage, how much damage do you do?
                    Last edited by limaxophobiac; 07-24-2017, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

​What does this mean for First Age Artifice as a whole?
                      Not really anything. Unlike Second Edition's magitech, First Age Artifice isn't defined by a single mechanic that's universally applied to everything in the category.
                      Last edited by Robert Vance; 07-24-2017, 05:47 PM.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by WalkingEye View Post
                        So does this mean a user will have to pay exp to gain access to the auxiliary systems of a armor or are these evocations usually free to unlock?
                        As the Evocations in the corebook demonstrate, there's lots of tricks you can play with designing Evocation unlocks.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by limaxophobiac View Post
                          Related to Immortal Blade Triumphant; are automatic successes added to, or dice converted to automatic successes on the damage roll automatically assumed to happen post-soak, since damage isn't rolled untill after soak?
                          Yeah.

Also how do automatic damage successes interact with soak, or post-soak damage reduction? If you have lets say 2 dice + 4 automatic damage successes post-soak and the defender cancells 5 post-soak damage, how much damage do you do?
                          Soak doesn't interact with successes added to withering damage rolls at all. Stuff that removes dice of post-soak damage, which I can think of any examples of off the top of my head, can't remove automatic successes added to damage. Stuff that removes damage successes, like Heavenly Guardian Defense or Spirit Strengthens the Skin, works normally on them.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Soak doesn't interact with successes added to withering damage rolls at all. Stuff that removes dice of post-soak damage, which I can think of any examples of off the top of my head, can't remove automatic successes added to damage.
                            I was thinking of Aegis of Invincible Might and Sorcerer’s Impervious Mantle (ISoB power), which just say damage which I assume means dice.
                            Last edited by limaxophobiac; 07-24-2017, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yue Ryong View Post
                              OK, one of the things I didn't notice had changed until relatively recently was that the old prayer rules had been removed in the edition shift, which prompts a few queries:

Do spirits still hear prayers made by mortals? Do they only hear prayers directed to them specifically? Would people praying without a specific target in mind be audible to any nearby spirits? Do prayers reach Heaven or Malfeas as easily as more local worship?
                              If so, how should I model that mechanically? Are they simple social influence rolls? Are they more difficult for being delivered through prayer?

In the meanwhile I've effectively been using the old rules as a quick-and-dirty solution (with a couple of tweaks I made before to make it a little harder to get Mars on the line), but given how much broader the new social system is I'm wondering what I should do to integrate prayer more fully.
                              Hi. I'm just reposting in the hopes it doesn't get lost in the shuffle

---------------------------------------------
                              Supporter of Spirits getting full playable splat design come Exalted 3E.
                              Refugee from the 3rd Great Edition Wars of D&D.
                              oWoD Latecomer, Exalted Optimist, Scion ST, Trinity Curious

Comment

• Thanks for taking the time to answer my previous questions, Robert. If you're feeling brave, our group is trying to understand how the Martial Arts Exclusion Principle is supposed to work. That's this blurb of text on page 426:

"In short—Martial Arts Charms are not compatible with Brawl, or any other combat Ability, unless they explicitly state otherwise. A bare-handed attack cannot benefit from both the maiming precision of Snake style’s Crippling Pressure-Point Strike and the devastating force of the Heaven Thunder Hammer; wielding twin blades in the katas of Steel Devil style is entirely unlike the pragmatic fundamentals of the Melee Ability."

We're not sure what this is supposed to do. What's obvious is that I can't supplement my Brawl attack with Crippling Pressure-Point Strike, or combine Triple Attack Technique with Excellent Strike, and so forth. What's less clear is how everything else works. There's too many interactions to list them all, so I'll just throw some examples out there.

1) I use Adamantine Fists of Battle in Brawl (the scene-long version) and get Overwhelming 6. I now make a bare-handed attack with Tiger Style. Does this benefit from Overwhelming 6?

2) I use Tiger Form, which doubles (Strength) extra successes to raw withering damage, and allows me to fight while prone with no penalties. Do my Brawl withering attacks benefit from the bonus damage provided by Tiger Form? Can I use Hammer on Iron Technique, or other Brawl Charms, while prone without suffering a penalty?

3) I use Single Point Shining into the Void Form and roll my sword into battle. Can I attack with Excellent Strike and Fire and Stones Strike on my turn, or do I have to attack using my Martial Arts? What about my sword? Can it use Excellent Strike on its turn, provided it doesn't try to supplement Excellent Strike with Martial Arts Charms?

4) I have both Melee and Martial Arts (Single Point Shining into the Void Style). I am attacked and use my Parry as my Defense. Do I have to use my Melee-derived Parry rating to use Dipping Swallow Defense? Do I have to use my Martial Arts-derived Parry rating to use Gathering Light Concentration?

5) I have both Melee and Martial Arts (Crane Style). My Melee ability is higher than my Martial Arts (Crane Style) ability. Can the +1 Parry from Crane Form augment my Melee-derived Parry rating? Or do I have to utilize my Martial Arts-derived Parry rating to enjoy the bonus?

If we had an idea how some of these work, we can probably figure out how all of the other cases work, too. The power level of the PCs (and NPCs) is drastically different depending on some of the answers, so we'd like to get it right.

Comment

Working...
                                X