This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    Technically it's double 10s, but yeah. It applies on all rolls unless otherwise stated.

I'm pretty sure that'd be the only way to get more successes than the number of dice you rolled, yeah.

Thank you sir! You are a scholar and a gentleman.

Comment

• Is Impenetrable Veil of Night a renamed Summon the Heart of Darkness in third edition?

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
        Is Impenetrable Veil of Night a renamed Summon the Heart of Darkness in third edition?
        Yup. 10char

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• With the understanding that I'm not currently immersed in the relevant material, and my answers here are subject to reassessment —

Originally posted by Murcushio View Post
          1) The 3e core says that in the Realm jade as a currency is forbidden to all but the Dragon-Blooded and their assignees. Is this literally true, or is it that jade is forbidden to all but Dynasts and their assignees?
          Yes, it's correct. It's fine for a foreign Dragon-Blood visiting the Isle to use jade currency, and mortal Dynasts are regularly assigned the authority to use jade.

2) The cash system. Does its exchange rate where it meets the jade system float? That is, does the Imperial Treasury always exchange one koku for an eighth of an obol of jade (a half-bit) and vice-versa regardless of the respective purchasing powers of the koku and the half-bit?
          As I understand it, yes and no. The exchange rate was normally fixed, but was subject to circumstantial manipulation by the Empress, who would offer exchanges at favorable rates (via the Imperial Treasury and Imperial Purse) as an economic and political tool.

3) Silver. Is silver still a "the dirham was invented, promulgated, and to a certain extent is controlled by the Guild as a way to compete with jade in a standardized fashion" thing? Or has that been backed off of
          More or less. The Guild didn't invent silver coinage — there are good reasons to avoid jade coinage in the Scavenger Lands and distant Threshold, which are covered in Manacle and Coin — but they've put a lot of effort into standardizing the dinar and dirham as an alternative currency to the Realm's.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• For the purpose of Selfsame Master Instructor (requiring that you teach a charm you know to someone qualified to learn it) is Terrestrial Circle Sorcery the same charm for all Exalted, so that you can initiate a DB or Lunar into sorcery?

Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
            Well, I admit this is a bit of circular reading, and we operated under your same assumption that points faded after the re-roll until Vance made the clarification a while back. And we didn't finish a story yet to really get into the particular of the rolls in the new model.
            I had things wrong when I wrote that and edited just as you posted. The TLM roll 'only' has to roll more successes than you have unrecovered xp left, plus one for the cost of activating TLM to be XP positive, so for activating TLM to be xp positive on an average roll you need the first roll to leave you with 2*(remaining unrecovered xp)+2 failures. Thats still pretty unlikely though so I'm kind of sceptical to TLM being a good investment as it would usually take ages before it pays back the 8 xp you spent on it.
            Last edited by limaxophobiac; 07-27-2017, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
              Yes, it's correct. It's fine for a foreign Dragon-Blood visiting the Isle to use jade currency, and mortal Dynasts are regularly assigned the authority to use jade.
              Intriguing! I look forward to many more of the fine class and privilege distinctions between Exalted and un-Exalted Dynasts in the months and years to come.

As I understand it, yes and no. The exchange rate was normally fixed, but was subject to circumstantial manipulation by the Empress, who would offer exchanges at favorable rates (via the Imperial Treasury and Imperial Purse) as an economic and political tool.
              Much like the 2e system, then.

More or less. The Guild didn't invent silver coinage — there are good reasons to avoid jade coinage in the Scavenger Lands and distant Threshold, which are covered in Manacle and Coin — but they've put a lot of effort into standardizing the dinar and dirham as an alternative currency to the Realm's.
              Man, Manacle and Coin is really hanging in there as a relevant resource despite being from 1e. Not that I'm complaining. Great sourcebook.

Thank you kindly, Eric

"SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                Yup. 10char
                Awesome. I like the new name way better.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

• Originally posted by limaxophobiac View Post
                  For the purpose of Selfsame Master Instructor (requiring that you teach a charm you know to someone qualified to learn it) is Terrestrial Circle Sorcery the same charm for all Exalted, so that you can initiate a DB or Lunar into sorcery?
                  Yep!

(although note that you don't need Selfsame Master Instructor to initiate an apprentice into sorcery - it just lets you cover the XP cost of it for them)

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• @Vance, I recall you saying earlier in the thread that beings with Charms don't generally have access to those Charms while in a battlegroup; the Charm's power is instead represented by Might. But what about the Garda Bird's Immolating Pyre? Would a battlegroup of Garda Birds have tons of explosions whenever they lost Magnitude? I understand having that many Gardas together in the same place fighting as an army is nearly impossible, but what would happen, hypothetically?

Comment

• Do other exalted have the abillity to learn spirit charms?
                      Will other castes/aspects have access to the Eclipse keyword?
                      Can lunars, who somehow end up in malfeas, steal shapes from the animals there in?
                      Where do the non-demon animals of malfeas come from?

Restoring demonic glory in Infernals:What Hell Has Wrought

Comment

• More wrt to Righteous Devil style... would it be fair to let artifact flame pieces use artifact melee weapon traits while in form?

Comment

• What are the cool kinds of ways you guys imagine Raksha feeding on people/preying upon them? Narratively speaking.

Comment

• I was wondering if you guys are placing specific rules for determining if a DB's child may exalt in the DB book?

Also is there going to be an explanation for elemental affinities in this edition and an explanation why certain bloodlines favor an aspect more than the other four? These never really felt that well-explained in second edition for me.

Comment

• How beholden are Raksha (Fair Folk Nobles) to human shape and size?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• For Prasad, do you see the Clans Burano and Ophris as being the only houses of the Dragon Caste? Or are they simply the two most powerful? If the latter, are Terrestrials belonging to other clans still considered Dynasts? I guess the final point might be hair splitting, considering Prasad's likely complicated relationship with its satrapy status.

Similarly, how does Prasad deal with unexalted dynasts? Can you belong to the Dragon Caste without being Exalted, or do you see there being a different, albeit still high ranked, caste for them?

Can Prasad's other castes also be animal-named?

Comment

Working...
                                X