This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    I don't think they generally distinguish beastfolk societies from any other society.
    I get that in terms of tribute paying subjects - but I'm assuming a Dragon-Blooded Beastman isn't going to find a lot of advancement or marriage prospects if they take the coin and join the legion?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Okay, sorry, but how does acquiring the Lore ability work?

When I take it, should I choose a subject matter, like philosophy, mathematics, geography, history and so on, or a background like soldier, farmer, Dynast, etc? Or either is fine?

From the description on p. 153 of the core book it seems ambiguous to me - it says it covers "academic disciplines of history, mathematics, geography, literature [etc] and similar scholarly pursuits", which I might think means that it covers more or less all of them, all academic disciplines. Then it goes, "Players must note the subject of their character's education when selecting Lore", so perhaps it means I can only choose one subject. Or perhaps it means my Lore applies to my whole education/background - like, as I said, soldier, farmer, Dynast (scribe, architect, historian, Icewalker shaman... "scholar"? If this is the case, would that work?).

There's the example of the farmer with Lore 1 and a specialty in Sowing on p. 238... so should I infer that practically everyone has Lore pertaining to their profession?

Ragara Feria, Adversaries of the Righteous: Lore 1. That's it. So... her background should inform our notion of what her Lore skill covers, I imagine? I could infer she has Lore 1 in matters pertaining the Realm and the northern Inland Sea... I guess?

Creating artifacts, p. 241 - you need to have at least Lore 3... Lore in what subject matter? Any? Or is Lore actually subject-agnostic?

My examples:

1) an NPC, he was a general, now he's a politician, has always competed in the arena as a wrestler - does he have Lore? Lore - war? Lore with a specialty of war, and another of politics, and another of wrestling? I don't see him as a scholar, but if Lore is needed to know about your profession...

2) another NPC, she's the goddess of a city, if I give her Lore 5 with the subject matter of "her city", does it reflect that she supernaturally knows everything about the city (history, architecture, notable people past & present etc)? Will that mean something else, like a knowledge of mathematics and science, which doesn't fit with this character?

2) a PC, she's a naturally inquisitive young woman, has been mentored by her knowledgeable father & has read books about lots of stuff + memorized almost everything (Intelligence 5 + eidetic memory merit). What subject should her Lore encompass? Science (since it's listed among the "academic disciplines" above)? I want her to know mathematics too, is that covered by science (they're both mentioned, but separately)? And I want her to know geography and history. Think "maester from Game of Thrones", but at a younger age b/c she's a genius (and I assume a good candidate for the Twilight Caste, and probably a Mary Sue). So do I have her, say, start with selecting a 1st subject, let's say mathematics, and then add specialties, which will be science, history and geography? Do the specialties give her the usual +1 bonus? If they do, why her first subject doesn't? Or does it work in some other way, like, every topic is a specialty, they don't give extra dice (thought of this interpretation while reading Harmonious Academic Methodology, p. 330)? How do I make a character who's a polymath?

(And BTW, if she learns new subjects all at a massive Lore 5 for just the cost of a specialty, isn't it weird - I mean, shouldn't it work like Craft at this point? Although Melee works for all weapons, so I probably shouldn't think too much about it).

Again, I'm sorry to drop this heap of inchoate doubts and questions on you devs, but I've read a past thread, and another in which you, Vance, talked about bears and background... and everyone has their pet theory. Some say you choose a subject matter, others that an educational background is good too, or better, and then I see some examples and I wonder if Lore isn't intended to work as is, without specifying anything else... I really can't make heads or tails of it right now and it's... a bit of a problem

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
        I get that in terms of tribute paying subjects - but I'm assuming a Dragon-Blooded Beastman isn't going to find a lot of advancement or marriage prospects if they take the coin and join the legion?
        You probably won't find Dragon-Blooded Beastmen - Dragon-Blooded humans wouldn't reproduce with a beastman, I think. At least, Dynasts wouldn't. But - that's my interpretation - I too would be curious to know the devs' stance on the topic...

Comment

• They existed in Second-edition descended from those won over to the Lunars in the early wars of the shogunate, or from less savory breeding efforts.

Comment

They'd probably face a significant amount of prejudice and social obstacles from Dynastic high society because of it, more so than they would just for being a lost egg. Many would assume that they're either the results of Wyld mutants and/or descended from Anathema, regardless of whether that's true for that particular beastfolk.

Last edited by Robert Vance; 07-28-2017, 04:22 PM.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Roswynn View Post
              Okay, sorry, but how does acquiring the Lore ability work?

When I take it, should I choose a subject matter, like philosophy, mathematics, geography, history and so on, or a background like soldier, farmer, Dynast, etc? Or either is fine?
              "Philosophy" or "Economics" would be fine, but so would "Dynastic Education" or "Farming Know-How." It's not meant to be a super-rigid category, but a description of the education and academic background that your Lore rating represents.

There's the example of the farmer with Lore 1 and a specialty in Sowing on p. 238... so should I infer that practically everyone has Lore pertaining to their profession?
              Having one dot in an Ability is standard for characters who've been trained in the fundamentals of it, or are familiar with it through practical experience. Not everyone is going to have Lore 1, but neither is it super scarce.

Creating artifacts, p. 241 - you need to have at least Lore 3... Lore in what subject matter? Any? Or is Lore actually subject-agnostic?
              Creating artifacts doesn't require a specific academic background.

1) an NPC, he was a general, now he's a politician, has always competed in the arena as a wrestler - does he have Lore? Lore - war? Lore with a specialty of war, and another of politics, and another of wrestling? I don't see him as a scholar, but if Lore is needed to know about your profession...
              A general doesn't need Lore to use his War Ability. If he's studied the history of warfare and military tactics in an academic context, or picked up that knowledge through practical experience, he might have Lore to represent it.

2) another NPC, she's the goddess of a city, if I give her Lore 5 with the subject matter of "her city", does it reflect that she supernaturally knows everything about the city (history, architecture, notable people past & present etc)? Will that mean something else, like a knowledge of mathematics and science, which doesn't fit with this character?
              Lore isn't supernatural knowledge; it's academic learning.

2) a PC, she's a naturally inquisitive young woman, has been mentored by her knowledgeable father & has read books about lots of stuff + memorized almost everything (Intelligence 5 + eidetic memory merit). What subject should her Lore encompass? Science (since it's listed among the "academic disciplines" above)? I want her to know mathematics too, is that covered by science (they're both mentioned, but separately)? And I want her to know geography and history. Think "maester from Game of Thrones", but at a younger age b/c she's a genius (and I assume a good candidate for the Twilight Caste, and probably a Mary Sue). So do I have her, say, start with selecting a 1st subject, let's say mathematics, and then add specialties, which will be science, history and geography? Do the specialties give her the usual +1 bonus? If they do, why her first subject doesn't? Or does it work in some other way, like, every topic is a specialty, they don't give extra dice (thought of this interpretation while reading Harmonious Academic Methodology, p. 330)? How do I make a character who's a polymath?
              I'd represent such a character through a high Lore rating combined with multiple Lore specialties.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                "Philosophy" or "Economics" would be fine, but so would "Dynastic Education" or "Farming Know-How." It's not meant to be a super-rigid category, but a description of the education and academic background that your Lore rating represents.

Having one dot in an Ability is standard for characters who've been trained in the fundamentals of it, or are familiar with it through practical experience. Not everyone is going to have Lore 1, but neither is it super scarce.

Creating artifacts doesn't require a specific academic background.

A general doesn't need Lore to use his War Ability. If he's studied the history of warfare and military tactics in an academic context, or picked up that knowledge through practical experience, he might have Lore to represent it.

Lore isn't supernatural knowledge; it's academic learning.

I'd represent such a character through a high Lore rating combined with multiple Lore specialties.
                I'm bookmarking this, Vance, just so you know

Thank you so much!

Regarding the last character, high Lore rating combined with multiple Lore specialties, is Lore 4 (Mathematics, Science, History, Geography) valid? Mathematics is the subject I chose when I picked Lore, and the other 3 are additional specialties - they don't actually give extra dice to roll like specialties in other skills, right?

Or should I change it to something like - Lore 4, Book-Learning (specialties: Mathematics, Science, History, Geography), and in this case her background would be that of a theoretical scholar and her specialties would give her extra dice as normal?

I understand Lore can be specified as either a particular subject or an educational background (although I'm not sure "Book-Learning" or "Theoretical Scholar" wouldn't be too broad), but do the specialties apply to your chosen field? And they give you an extra die to roll? What if I want to have my character learn new things, like, say Lore (Philosophy) can become Lore (Philosophy, History) at the xp cost of a specialty?

Thanks again!!

Comment

• So weird bit I brought up in the Realm preview that nags me a bit, but where do farmers and laborers fit in Prasad's caste system? Or is that the kind of role that probably has specialized jati for particular products spread across the different castes?

And stuff.
                  Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

Comment

How does Prasad fin in these numbers? Are they part of the Realm's count?
                    Our current estimation gives Prasad somewhere in the range of 2,000 Dragon-Blooded. These are not part of the Realm's count.

Yes, Prasad is a force to be reckoned with.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Do they have lesser families of the Dragon Caste who compete to marry the DBs of the ruling houses? Or are the two ruling houses just endlessly marrying each other?

Comment

• Originally posted by Roswynn View Post
                        Regarding the last character, high Lore rating combined with multiple Lore specialties, is Lore 4 (Mathematics, Science, History, Geography) valid?
                        Sure.

(although I'm not sure "Book-Learning" or "Theoretical Scholar" wouldn't be too broad)
                        As a Storyteller, my questions would be "well, what kind of books did you learn from?"

but do the specialties apply to your chosen field? And they give you an extra die to roll?
                        Yeah. If your background comes from being a Varangian scholar of mathematics, and you have a specialty of Economics, it would add a bonus dice normally when you try to calculate the rate of blah blah blah something economics.

What if I want to have my character learn new things, like, say Lore (Philosophy) can become Lore (Philosophy, History) at the xp cost of a specialty?
                        You can buy specialties for Lore normally, and they contribute to what kind of facts you can introduce.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Can Flowing Mind Prana be used to teach lore specialties or specialties in general or would that need another charm?

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

Our current estimation gives Prasad somewhere in the range of 2,000 Dragon-Blooded. These are not part of the Realm's count.

Yes, Prasad is a force to be reckoned with.
                            Is that separate from the outcaste 5000 as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

Is that separate from the outcaste 5000 as well?
                              Yes, it's separate.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

Yes, it's separate.
                                Fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                                X