This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Carrot Crusader View Post
    Thank you for the quick answer, another question that I have been pondering that I forgot to ask. It concerns Terrifying apparition of glory and its effects on Battle groups. Is a battle group capable of paying the initiative cost to ignore the effects of it (Taking 5 magnitude damage I assume?) to not flee? A battle group that has paid the initiative/magnitude, do they still get -3 to rout? And is a battle group only considered terrorized (for the purpose of the -3 to rout) if their resolve have failed?

This actually is a question of mine in general: If I have something that does iniaitive damage, does it go straight to magnitude (Mists of the Eventide, a bg's worth of poison arrows, etc.)

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
      Sample workings, including working-granted powers, is definitely something this thread has convinced me need to be included in a book of sorcery.
      That'd be great. I found workings that granted powers particularly hard to adjudicate.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• When you grant mutations to your familiar via Saga beast Virtue, what rating of the merit does it grant? For instance if I grant Poisoned Body to my familiar, do I get the 1 dot, the three dot or the 5 dot rating?

Do purchased merits such as Iron Stomach or Mighty Thew count as mutations that you can grant to your familiar?

Can you train your familiar in purchased merits via Beast mastering Behavior? Does this cost xp?

Comment

• Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
          When you grant mutations to your familiar via Saga beast Virtue, what rating of the merit does it grant? For instance if I grant Poisoned Body to my familiar, do I get the 1 dot, the three dot or the 5 dot rating?
          Given that it reads as just granting (Essence) mutations regardless of their rating, it would let you take the highest, unless for some reason you want to take a lower-rated version. I'm not sure that's how it should work, but that sure is how it's written!

Do purchased merits such as Iron Stomach or Mighty Thew count as mutations that you can grant to your familiar?
          My plan is to give a proper definition of mutations in Lunars. What I'm currently thinking is that they include all Supernatural Merits that are physical in nature (i.e. everything but Thaumaturgist), and any mundane innate or purchased Merits that are physical in nature. That may change in the process of writing the book and playtesting Lunars, but I think it should be good for now.

Can you train your familiar in purchased merits via Beast mastering Behavior? Does this cost xp?
          No.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• It concerns Terrifying apparition of glory and its effects on Battle groups. Is a battle group capable of paying the initiative cost to ignore the effects of it (Taking 5 magnitude damage I assume?) to not flee?
            Yes, a battle group can spend Initiative and Willpower to resist. This doesn't translate into Magnitude damage - it just lowers the battle group's otherwise-inert Initiative rating for determining when it acts in combat.

A battle group that has paid the initiative/magnitude, do they still get -3 to rout?
            No, resisting immunizes them to all of the Charm's effects.

And is a battle group only considered terrorized (for the purpose of the -3 to rout) if their resolve have failed?
            Yep.

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
            This actually is a question of mine in general: If I have something that does iniaitive damage, does it go straight to magnitude (Mists of the Eventide, a bg's worth of poison arrows, etc.)
            Withering damage (but not Initiative costs or other effects that cause Initiative loss) goes straight to Magnitude.

Initiative costs, such as from gambits or to pay for a full defense, are deducted from the battle group's Initiative normally, although they can't spend themselves below 0.

Initiative loss, such as from disengaging or certain Charms...okay, I'll be honest, there's no text in the battle group section I can find from which to draw an answer. I think it makes more an army that misses an attack against Solar Dodgelord to lose Initiative rather than losing Magnitude or not suffering any effect, but that's just my preference of the three.
            Last edited by Robert Vance; 09-14-2017, 12:34 PM.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Yes, a battle group can spend Initiative and Willpower to resist. This doesn't translate into Magnitude damage - it just lowers the battle group's otherwise-inert Initiative rating for determining when it acts in combat.
              Follow-up question to this: does this allow a battlegroup to drop to negative initiative? If so, does they count as being in initiative crash, both for purposes of their own stats and for giving bonus initiative to the person who put them there? And would they revert to base initiative after 3 turns like other characters do?

Comment

• I'm not sure if this trailer is a better fit for Lunars or Getimians. Any thoughts on this?

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
                [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
                [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

• Yes, a battle group can spend Initiative and Willpower to resist. This doesn't translate into Magnitude damage - it just lowers the battle group's otherwise-inert Initiative rating for determining when it acts in combat.
                  Alright, feels a bit weird that the charm have more impact on big though foes worthy of being single beings than relative weaklings like petty mortals. Thougth that "their Initiative rating is used entirely to determine when the group takes its turn during each round." Meant that they can't spend it as a resource, like on decisive attacks, disengages and so on.
                  Then isint the -3 to rout pointless since the effect of the charm is that they flee already? Or am I missing something?
                  Last edited by Carrot Crusader; 09-14-2017, 01:14 PM. Reason: Kelly asked one of the questions I had already

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrot Crusader View Post
                    Thougth that "their Initiative rating is used entirely to determine when the group takes its turn during each round." Meant that they can't spend it as a resource, like on decisive attacks, disengages and so on.
                    That's what I thought initially, but later on in the battle group rules it discusses them using gambits, and specifically talks about them paying Initiative costs normally.

Then isint the -3 to rout pointless since the effect of the charm is that they flee already? Or am I missing something?
                    Fleeing just forces them to move away from you. Rout checks, if failed, lead to the entire battle group dissolving.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

Follow-up question to this: does this allow a battlegroup to drop to negative initiative? If so, does they count as being in initiative crash, both for purposes of their own stats and for giving bonus initiative to the person who put them there? And would they revert to base initiative after 3 turns like other characters do?
                      You can't spend yourself into negative Initiative. In the unlikely event that a battle group somehow ends up at negative Initiative, I think applying the normal Crash rules would make sense.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Whats the difference between a Golem made with a working a Golem made with craft and an Automata made with First Age? (Im assuming Automata are First Age only, please correct me if im wrong)

Also, to what would be the comparable the Golems of different Artifact rating?

What would be an example of a rating 2 First Age Artifact? Are there any in Arms?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiresias View Post

I'm not sure if this trailer is a better fit for Lunars or Getimians. Any thoughts on this?
                          Sun Wu Kong is prime Lunar inspiration.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Yep.

Withering damage (but not Initiative costs or other effects that cause Initiative loss) goes straight to Magnitude.

Initiative costs, such as from gambits or to pay for a full defense, are deducted from the battle group's Initiative normally, although they can't spend themselves below 0.

Initiative loss, such as from disengaging or certain Charms...okay, I'll be honest, there's no text in the battle group section I can find from which to draw an answer. I think it makes more an army that misses an attack against Solar Dodgelord to lose Initiative rather than losing Magnitude or not suffering any effect, but that's just my preference of the three.

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                            That's what I thought initially, but later on in the battle group rules it discusses them using gambits, and specifically talks about them paying Initiative costs normally.

Fleeing just forces them to move away from you. Rout checks, if failed, lead to the entire battle group dissolving.

Would it perhaps be useful to distinguish between initiative lost from non-attack sources of damage and initiative lost as part of a cost? So that stuff like Searing Quicksilver Flight works like you'd expect (as part of the morale loss abstraction that Magnitude represents - 'We can't hit him, RUN!'), and Terrifying Apparition of Glory and Engage costs work correctly?

This has the not-insignificant drawback of GM's needing to make the judgment call between attacks and costs, but I'm not sure there's a way around that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sakii View Post
                              Whats the difference between a Golem made with a working a Golem made with craft and an Automata made with First Age? (Im assuming Automata are First Age only, please correct me if im wrong)
                              Not all automatons are First Age artifice, although many are.

A First Age artifice golem is going to be more sophisticated, complex, and powerful than one animated by an equivalent working - after all, it's a legendary artifact married to a miracle of sorcery, and requires considerably more effort to create.

Also, to what would be the comparable the Golems of different Artifact rating?
                              This would probably be easier to answer once Arms is out.

What would be an example of a rating 2 First Age Artifact?
                              An artifact whose power only merits a two-dot rating, but that would distort the setting of the Second Age if it were easy for Exalted artificers to create them.

Are there any in Arms?
                              I think so, but I'm not 100% sure.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Are any of the Arms of the chosen made by non-humans, such as gods and demons?

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Working...
                                X