This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can't spend yourself into negative Initiative
    Pretty sure that is only for gambits (and perilous charms that cost initiative I guess?). "If a character enters Initiative Crash as a result of his own actions (such as by using a disengage action, which costs 2 Initiative to attempt, with only 2 Initiative remaining), he immediately loses another 5 Initiative.

How does poisons like mists of eventide work then? It applies damage to initiative until they crash then they all sleep? If a group is being gassed by the demon Poison McNasty and they enter crash, is the subsequent damage dealt to their magnitude? If so, does the "inflict one additional level of automatic damage per four damage dice rolled (round up)." rule apply as it does for decisive attacks against BGs?

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrot Crusader View Post
      Pretty sure that is only for gambits (and perilous charms that cost initiative I guess?). "If a character enters Initiative Crash as a result of his own actions (such as by using a disengage action, which costs 2 Initiative to attempt, with only 2 Initiative remaining), he immediately loses another 5 Initiative.
      Disengaging causes you to lose Initiative, rather than costing Initiative. It's an elusive distinction, but it's the reason why you can disengage in Crash, but can't make a smash attack.

How does poisons like mists of eventide work then? It applies damage to initiative until they crash then they all sleep? If a group is being gassed by the demon Poison McNasty and they enter crash, is the subsequent damage dealt to their magnitude? If so, does the "inflict one additional level of automatic damage per four damage dice rolled (round up)." rule apply as it does for decisive attacks against BGs?
      Withering damage from poisons or any other source is converted to Magnitude damage against battle groups just like the damage from withering attacks.
      Last edited by Robert Vance; 09-14-2017, 10:22 PM.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• A question I've been meaning to ask but completely forgot about: Stubborn Boar Defense. What qualifies as "the same issue"?
        For example, if my solar resists a seduction attempt, do they permanently gain +2 resolve against all seduction attempts, or only seduction attempts made by that person, or only seduction attempts designed to have my character get intimate with them.
        In the case of the last, if someone else tried a persuade with the same goal as the original persuade, Stubborn Boar Defense would still help, but only if it's exactly the same influence?

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
          Sun Wu Kong is prime Lunar inspiration.
          This clarifies a lot of things about Lunars, to be honest.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
          [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
          [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Not all automatons are First Age artifice, although many are.
            Is there a difference between golems and automatons made by normal craft, or is it the same thing with different name?

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            A First Age artifice golem is going to be more sophisticated, complex, and powerful than one animated by an equivalent working - after all, it's a legendary artifact married to a miracle of sorcery, and requires considerably more effort to create.
            And craft golems vs sorcery golems?

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            An artifact whose power only merits a two-dot rating, but that would distort the setting of the Second Age if it were easy for Exalted artificers to create them.
            Can you spoil us on what it means to distort the setting? All i can think about is modern of syfi things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
              Are any of the Arms of the chosen made by non-humans, such as gods and demons?
              A few. One created by a prehuman race, and a pair forged by one of the Deathlords.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

A few. One created by a prehuman race, and a pair forged by one of the Deathlords.

Oooh, i like prehumans in exalted (the six eyed sages in one of the preview artifacts, the giants of Dis, Dragon Kings)...this pleases me greatly, and saddens my wallet.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

Cool! Is it a prehuman race who's been mentioned previously?

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Is total annihilation going to be in the new sorcery book? How scary is it this edition?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Lidless Eye That Sees View Post
                      Is total annihilation going to be in the new sorcery book? How scary is it this edition?
                      It has a fair chance of returning, and if it does, it will live up to its name.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Sakii View Post
                        Is there a difference between golems and automatons made by normal craft, or is it the same thing with different name?
                        When I think golems, I think specifically of the ones made by rabbis, while automaton is a broader term for any mechanical life. That's just me, though, not something that's going to become a matter of setting terminology.

And craft golems vs sorcery golems?
                        As in, a non-First Age artifice construct compared against a sorcerous one? Harder to quantify. Once there are some examples out there, it'll be easier to quantify.

Can you spoil us on what it means to distort the setting? All i can think about is modern of syfi things.
                        Quick example: An artifact that's basically a cellphone would probably be worth two dots. If the Realm's Dragon-Blooded artificers can manufacture magical cellphones with relative ease, then the great importance placed on the Realm's heliograph relays and sorcerous means of communication no longer make sense. We don't want that to happen, so if we were gonna write them up (don't think we will), they'd most likely be First Age artifice.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by wern212 View Post
                          A question I've been meaning to ask but completely forgot about: Stubborn Boar Defense. What qualifies as "the same issue"?
                          For example, if my solar resists a seduction attempt, do they permanently gain +2 resolve against all seduction attempts, or only seduction attempts made by that person, or only seduction attempts designed to have my character get intimate with them.
                          In the case of the last, if someone else tried a persuade with the same goal as the original persuade, Stubborn Boar Defense would still help, but only if it's exactly the same influence?
                          You get +2 Resolve against someone when they try to convince you to do something where you've already successfully resisted it. If Alice seduces you unsuccessfully, and Bob then tries to seduce you, that's not the same issue, because Bob's trying to convince you to do something else (make out with Bob). If Alice seduces you unsuccessfully, and Bob tries to convince you that you should go make out with Alice, it's the same issue.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Thank you for answering my questions.

This one is a bit more theoretical: how close do the Gods have to be tied to the daily lives and culture of a group in order to benefit from their worship? And how might the sudden change in their daily lives change the nature of the Gods they worship?

I was wondering this, because in my game I'm planning to have an army of slaves that were taken from various folks. These different people all used to worship different Gods, but now that they are together (and presumably have less time to spend on worship in general), what kinds of effect would this have on the various spirit courts?

I would assume many of the Gods getting weaker due to lose worship and prayer, leading to a few combat-related Gods being all that's left once the others get reassigned or lose much of their power, and these war Gods would eventually fight each other for what little power there is left, leading to a single God/Goddess who is worshiped by the slave army. Would such events be possible, or is there something making this unlikely to happen?

One of my friends already suggested something to the effect of the Romans taking over Greek Gods. Could this happen, or will the worship of a God (or lack thereof) not change their identity or purview drastically? Could two Gods of similar theme be combined, or would they remain separate entities? Or would the Gods challenge each other for the remaining prayer, and if so, what happens to those that lose?

Comment

Disengaging causes you to lose Initiative, rather than costing Initiative. It's an elusive distinction, but it's the reason why you can disengage in Crash, but [can't] take a full defense.c
                              Hmmm, according to p. 198, Full Defense also causes initiative loss, it's just that it explicitly forbids using it in crash.

For clarity, is Crane Form—which reduces the cost of Full Defense by 1—intended to allow Full Defense actions to be taken in Crash? I had always assumed it wasn't, but now I'm less certain.

Comment

• What venom does the venomous merit grant? Asking for my gorilla mutant

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Working...
                                X