X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Thanks!
    Presumably using out-of-element charms takes you out of Aura?
    Yes (again, unless they're Balanced).

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Meghan Fitzgerald View Post

Right--the vines don't have separate mote pools or use the Charms (or Resolve/Guile, for that matter), just the action dice pools and combat traits. So you've got the core plant spawning more maws and vines, and eating people when the vines drag somebody close enough, and Sensing things and using Disguise to seem innocuous. Then you've got the vines grabbing people, slithering around, smashing things, using Defend Other to protect the core, etc. They work together as a single organism--the vines aren't actually separate beings, but each vine has to be dealt with separately from a combat standpoint because it defends the core.

Yep, the vines use the Bite pool to make savage attacks. Obviously, the actual action going on there might not be biting, since the vine might be smashing you against the ground or choking you out or whatever, but it uses the same numbers.

For Swallow Whole, the core is making the savage attack and activating the Charm. You're close enough that the maw can chomp you with its teeth.
      Awesome, much appreciated for the clarification! Thanks!

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

• I don't know if you guys have thought too much about the metaphysical mechanics of the Wyld yet, but in case you have, I've got a question that relates to that - do you think you can have an elemental (or any other type, really) demesne form in the Wyld? Are the Marches too chaotic to support that kind of stable elemental geomancy? Or can demesnes form, but they're fundamentally transient - like other Wyld features, washed away by the tides of chaos?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
          I don't know if you guys have thought too much about the metaphysical mechanics of the Wyld yet, but in case you have, I've got a question that relates to that - do you think you can have an elemental (or any other type, really) demesne form in the Wyld? Are the Marches too chaotic to support that kind of stable elemental geomancy? Or can demesnes form, but they're fundamentally transient - like other Wyld features, washed away by the tides of chaos?
          Off the top of my head, I don't think demesnes can form in the Wyld under normal circumstances, but there's always abnormal circumstances.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            Off the top of my head, I don't think demesnes can form in the Wyld under normal circumstances, but there's always abnormal circumstances.

Thanks for the fast answer!

Comment

They wouldn't - see above about Excellencies not being discrete things that exist in the setting.
              Are you saying the superhuman performance of those dice comes out of nowhere and no one thinks it might be out the ordinary?

I don't think that is what you are saying, but I honestly am not sure what you mean. It would be like people not recognizing daiklaves as special swords.

At risk of reading into it too much, I think the fact that Lunars can combine two Attributes to form their dice cap speaks to their supremacy at Attributes.
              So, it's not because Lunar Exalted are two-faced, double-minded beings since they were reborn with a Totem Beast Soul that they can summon forth for additional power or insight?

And it's not because they can compensate for lacking Solar skill by exceeding them at raw power?

...Well, I suppose the second one is true enough of someone "good enough 'at Attributes'." I suppose you have to be really smart to be able to put Intelligence side behind a non-Intelligence roll.

Do Attributes exist as discrete things when Excellencies don't?
              Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 09-28-2017, 07:09 PM.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                Are you saying the superhuman performance of those dice comes out of nowhere and no one thinks it might be out the ordinary?
                A Solar savant would look at a Lunar blasting a full Strength Excellency and go, "woah, he's really fucking strong—his powerful Essence affirms his strength!" The savant wouldn't think of it in terms of the the details of the Lunar's Excellency.

So, it's not because Lunar Exalted are two-faced, double-minded beings since they were reborn with a Totem Beast Soul that they can summon forth for additional power or insight?
                Excellencies are the most simplistic effects any Exalt has. They convey vary little thematic meaning (but not none) compared to other Charms.

And it's not because they can compensate for lacking Solar skill by exceeding them at raw power?
                For example, I think it is a thematic statement that Lunar Excellencies can equal Solar Excellencies—while the Lunars might not be the mightiest of the Exalted, they aren't that far off. Similarly, Sidereals can't equal Solar or Lunar Excellencies in raw power, but they can cheat the numbers—that makes a thematic statement about them.

Do Attributes exist as discrete things when Excellencies don't?
                Not in the sense of "I have Strength 3 and Intelligence 2." The physical might and the intellectual prowess that the Attributes describe exist in the setting. The nine Attributes and their 1-5 rating scale don't.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• how big is a wyld hunt?
                  Like, was the millitary action against the bull a wyld hunt? I've used the analog of something like a manhunt meets holy war. Is that a good approximation?

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Excellencies are the most simplistic effects any Exalt has. They convey vary little thematic meaning (but not none) compared to other Charms.
                    So they DO exist. At least, the capability they represent exists.

Maybe no one in Creation calls it "Excellency", though they might call it "excellence" in the colloquial sense. It's as real as muscles and lungs and brains even if it obviously wouldn't be codified in reality or savant thought as "25 or 9 specific Excellencies", just as organs aren't considered dot-rated Strength, Stamina, or Intelligence.

And a Lunar's "excellence" is clearly somewhat different from a Solar's "excellence".

I suppose a Solar savant at least would say that a Solar's excellence is expressed through the perfection of body or mind together with art or skill? Whereas he might see Lunar excellence as a raw abundance of overflowing talent?

Originally posted by Holden
                    fuck's sake dude
                    Hello, Holden. Hope you're doing well.

Please don't over-react when I have to ask sincere questions to clear up confusion caused by miscommunication.
                    Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 09-28-2017, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                      how big is a wyld hunt?
                      Like, was the millitary action against the bull a wyld hunt? I've used the analog of something like a manhunt meets holy war. Is that a good approximation?
                      It varies depending on the circumstances, the resources available to the Dragon-Blooded, etc. A Sworn Kinship of five Dragon-Blooded fighting for the lives against a Lunar Anathema and her Solar mate can be a Wyld Hunt. A massive military deployment, such as the ones that the Realm and Lookshy coordinates in concert, can be a Wyld Hunt.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• That the Exalted Storyteller System has a trait called Strength no more indicates that Strength is a discrete, metaphysically significant quality in Creation than d20 Modern's inclusion of an ability called Wisdom indicates real life has Wisdom as a discrete, metaphysically significant quality. Traits in the Storyteller System are descriptive of the underlying fiction of Creation, not proscriptive.

Comment

• Don't make conversational posts. This is strictly a Q&A thread. Darksider
                          Last edited by Darksider; 09-29-2017, 03:40 AM.

Comment

• One thing i have had the most trouble with in Exalted has been naming things. Any advice or parameters you use when naming things in the realm or threshold?

Comment

• Lunar Strength lifting Charms are going to be less powerful than those of Solars, right?

Even if they could theoretically match Excellency dice-pools for lifting, at base, wouldn't it be ridiculous if a Lunar Exalted could grow into a giant, with all the strength of a giant, and use Charms to stack Solar-level lifting strength on top of that?

Comment

• Since a Lunar will be pretty limited in her ability to directly apply her divine might to piloting a ship, what other advantages might a crew have under a Lunar pirate captain?

Comment

Working...
                                X